Richard Sherman Agrees to a 3 Year Deal

J-ALL-DAY

Yep, so the contract is about what I originally thought it would be before getting the preliminary numbers on Saturday. I was thinking around 9 million per year and that's about what he will make unless he makes the Pro Bowl. If healthy, he obviously has a good shot at making the Pro Bowl. But that is a big if. This is the ultimate bet on yourself deal. Sherman is as strong minded of a person as you will see and he still believes in his heart of heart that he could play at a high level for the next few years. 

A lot of folks are now coming out and saying how badly the Niners played him in negotiations, but I don't see it that way. The Lions/Raiders/Seahawks all passed when Sherman presented them the Niners offer so that shows you they weren't even going to offer what we did. Not only that, but this is a soon to be 30 year old corner coming off a terrible injury. What exactly was going to be his market? 

35 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I keep reading this, but again who was going to offer him something better? The other three teams interested in him all said the deal was too much for them. Only way he gets a better deal is if it is only a one year deal, but folks keep acting like this was highway robbery. A 30 year old coming off an Achilles injury isn't going to be in high demand. That's just reality.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I keep reading this, but again who was going to offer him something better? The other three teams interested in him all said the deal was too much for them. Only way he gets a better deal is if it is only a one year deal, but folks keep acting like this was highway robbery. A 30 year old coming off an Achilles injury isn't going to be in high demand. That's just reality.

It could still be just a one year deal.

Well yeah, but he doesn't have a say in that. If the team wants to keep him longer than a year, then that is what will happen regardless of making the Pro Bowl or not. Granted, I can't see them guaranteeing his base salary next year unless he does in fact make the Pro Bowl.

What I loved reading was just how much Sherman studied past contracts from Marathe and just in the league. Dude is no dummy, he knew what he was doing. 

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Not crazy about this signing. Don't like the guy at all but the injury worries me even more.

Not gonna rant against it though. It is what it is.

I'm with you on the injury. At this point, I trust the team did its injury homework, so I look at it like this:

50% of Richard Sherman is better than Dontae Johnson. 

The contract is incredibly friendly unless he returns to greatness, in which case he's worth the contract anyway.

He's got a mouth, but he's also got a lot of football knowledge/dedication that can only benefit Witherspoon, who is still raw and learning.

So, as long as the team hedges its bets (and I believe we will somewhere), this should benefit us in some way.

16 hours ago, the-catch said:

For retaliation, maybe the Seahawks should sign Dontae Johson... and pending how that goes we might get a 2019 compensatory pick. :D

I'm thinking now that Johnson would be an OK re-sign for vet minimum.  We've got SHerman Spoon and Williams ahead of him. He'd be OK as 4th corner.  Maybe put a roster or playtime bonus in there in case we draft a guy that beats him out.

56 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'm with you on the injury. At this point, I trust the team did its injury homework, so I look at it like this:

50% of Richard Sherman is better than Dontae Johnson. 

The contract is incredibly friendly unless he returns to greatness, in which case he's worth the contract anyway.

He's got a mouth, but he's also got a lot of football knowledge/dedication that can only benefit Witherspoon, who is still raw and learning.

So, as long as the team hedges its bets (and I believe we will somewhere), this should benefit us in some way.

And if you are going to gamble on a ~8.5 mil player at that position for this season (the one where the 8.5 is a drop in the bucket), Sherman has much higher upside and a much higher chance to be an above average starter at the position than Jimmie Ward and won't require you to tie up future years in the case of either unsustainable breakout production (someone like Rashaan Melvin likely at the same non-incentive price point, though Fuller at a higher price point has similar concerns), or leave you stuck paying absolute top dollar over the course of several seasons for ~75th percentile sort of production (in the case of Trumaine Johnson) or a player with a recent poor production data point among several very good seasons seasons and with a recent off the field concern (Malcolm Butler). It isn't a perfect deal for the team. The incentives for Richard are pricey if met and were the sticking point (according to what I've read) for other teams. But it may have been the best way to invest in the position this offseason and it is probably fair.

Archived