Richard Sherman Agrees to a 3 Year Deal

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

My real issue isn't with the $$$. My issue is "Will we regret not going for someone else" because we grabbed Sherman but he could not get back to his previous self?

Unless you're in love with a rookie CB, none of the other corners hitting the market will make you feel this way looking back. Butler and Breeland probably have the best upside, but even then, one would be hard pressed to pass up a chance at an all-pro corner, even if coming off an Achilles, and especially when you can do it on a team friendly deal. 

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

My real issue isn't with the $$$. My issue is "Will we regret not going for someone else" because we grabbed Sherman but he could not get back to his previous self?

I never truly liked Trumaine, I'm meh on Butler and don't think Breeland is that great. So no, not really. There seems to be great corners in the draft every year, recently. If Sherman fails, let's grab one next year. Or sign next year's top free agent. Or maybe we draft someone this year who develops into a starter over the year, or next year. I don't see it as the end of the world, if the Sherman experiment fails. 

In warming up to this move a lot. A motivated Sherman is someone I don't mind having on my side. 

Interesting point that John Clayton made today, he said that he anticipated we allocated some funds towards Johnson before we knew sherman would be available. By giving the contract that we did for a 'top' corner but not spending as much as we might have, it gives us flexibility in adding some money to another position in free agency. Interesting take. 

We really have three corners right now - Witherspoon, Sherman, and Williams. If I am not mistaken teams usually carry 5 or 6 corners (depending on who plays STs) so we need at least two more. We will undoubtedly draft one early, so signing a veteran in the second wave of free agency for a good price should fit the bill. I wonder how much our lack of pass rush will affect FA cbs' decision. You would think it's like a wr who wants to be paired with a good QB. 

15 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

There's always risks. On the flip side if we didn't sign Sherman, you could make the same counter-argument, "regret signing someone else because we could've grabbed Sherman who does return to his previous self"

As long as he is close to being his old self, we probably got the best value from any CB signing. I don't like going after Shead even though he has experience in the scheme. Why not someone like Desir instead? Not like he is going to be too expensive. 

Archived