Case Keenum will sign with broncos

49erurtaza

32 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

Total loser. Sends presents to his division rivals thanking them for pushing him to compete harder. 

Who is this the guillotine for? Osweiller or Lynch? That’s the real loser.

NO, not at all.  If everyone was better at encouraging people, ect ect the world would be a better place.  You can still be a fierce competitor and not wish ill to your competition.

31 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Just two years though... not really a bad contract.

Hopefully it's only 1 year guaranteed.   Then all my major objections go away, if this means we are still in consideration for QB at 1.5.  

Keenum isn't a guy you pass on a QBOTF for.   If 3 QB's go 1.1 - 1.4, and we don't like the 4th QB, and want to trade down or take Nelson, fine.   But Keenum should literally have ZERO influence on that decision.    I still think we could have gotten a pure 1-year bridge with no 2019 $ committed, but a 2-year deal and not being locked out of QB at 1.5 is tolerable.   

Need to see the final #'s before knowing, though.

9 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

So is it safe to assume he is their bridge and a guy like Allen is in play at 5 as opposed to Rosen or Mayfield who could likely start day 1?

Beat reporters said yesterday if we get Keenum, Elway will not go QB 1.5.

NOW...that correlates if it's a multi-year deal (idiotic, but makes sense with what they are saying).  The beat reporters (and I agreed) that Keenum signing early he'd get multiple years guaranteed.    Now that it's only a 2-year deal, maybe Elway convinced him somehow to take bridge money and years.     

But if we only have 1 year guaranteed for Keenum - I'd say anyone is in play.    Re: which QB, your guess is as good as mine - but remember, we don't control who is there.  I'd say if we have Keenum for only 1 year, then any QB is still in play - it's just a matter of who Elway is willing to take if the top 3 guys are gone.

A lot of my fellow fans are fine with Mayfield at 1.5 ( @Counselor leading the charge), I'm not so sure (but I prefer him to Allen's risk for sure).  I am sure on Darnold/Rosen myself.   Allen is the one guy I just have no problem going a different route (that bust risk is just too high).   Of course, none of us are Elway lol.  

It's always possible if Keenum has significant 2019 $ that Elway could still go QB 1.5 - but Elway's pretty easy to read.   And the beat reporters usually get it right (they called Bolles Rd1, they called Cousins/Keenum as the plan A/plan B), so the 2019 guaranteed $ is the telltale sign here.  I hope there's nothing besides the bonus rollover.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Beat reporters said yesterday if we get Keenum, Elway will not go QB 1.5.

NOW...that correlates if it's a multi-year deal (idiotic, but makes sense with what they are saying).  But if we only have 1 year guaranteed for Keenum - I'd say anyone is in play.    Re: which QB, your guess is as good as mine - but remember, we don't control who is there.  I'd say if we have Keenum for only 1 year, then any QB is still in play - it's just a matter of who Elway is willing to take if the top 3 guys are gone.

A lot of my fellow fans are fine with Mayfield at 1.5 ( @Counselor leading the charge), I'm not so sure (but I prefer him to Allen's risk for sure).  I am sure on Darnold/Rosen myself.   Allen is the one guy I just have no problem going a different route (that bust risk is just too high).   Of course, none of us are Elway lol.  

It's always possible if Keenum has significant 2019 $ that Elway could still go QB 1.5 - but Elway's pretty easy to read.   And the beat reporters usually get it right (they called Bolles Rd1, they called Cousins/Keenum as the plan A/plan B), so the 2019 guaranteed $ is the telltale sign here.  I hope there's nothing besides the bonus rollover.

Are you sure none of you are Elway? ;)

What you're saying makes sense though. I feel like Elway is so safe in his position that not going QB at 5 won't cost him his job like it could other GM's. 

If he feels the Broncos can really compete this season or next then it makes sense to roll with Keenum and hope he continues his strong play.

4 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Are you sure none of you are Elway? ;)

What you're saying makes sense though. I feel like Elway is so safe in his position that not going QB at 5 won't cost him his job like it could other GM's. 

If he feels the Broncos can really compete this season or next then it makes sense to roll with Keenum and hope he continues his strong play.

He's totally safe...for at least 2 more seasons.  He's earned that, even after 2 bad offseasons and a lost 2017 season.   His biggest problem is that he cannot draft at all well on Day 2, and going 1-player away with need at Rd1 has robbed our team of overall talent.   He still kills Day 3 draft (because then, going insane-tools/high-ceiling is OK, bust floor is there for the available pool), and he's a master at cap management.  And as you can see, he can work very reasonable FA deals.   

But if Elway passes on 1.5 QB and that guy is a franchise QB and Keenum is who most think he is (serviceable on a great team, but not the guy long-term you want)....then the hot seat will be there firmly after 2019.   He's got 2 more safe years because...he's John Elway, and his record gives him 3 years of bad play insurance-wise in DEN.   But that will only go so far.

If Elway got Keenum to commit to only 1 year guaranteed, then my biggest objection goes away.   Keenum is NOT a guy you say "OK, we don't need QB at 1.5".   Bridge, great.   Anything more..esp. if we pass on Rosen/Darnold....ugh.

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If Elway got Keenum to commit to only 1 year guaranteed, then my biggest objection goes away.   Keenum is NOT a guy you say "OK, we don't need QB at 1.5".   Bridge, great.   Anything more..esp. if we pass on Rosen/Darnold....ugh.

With the moves the Bills are making I think Elway got the Broncos a nice insurance policy in case Darnold and Rosen go in the top 4 picks - seems rather likely right now. But you're right, if they want him as anything more than a bridge, yikes.

A big props to @champ11 for pointing out the article below - it points to how MIN created the most QB-friendly environment to succeed (only thing missing was the fact the pass D's & secondaries on the 2017 schedule overall were one of the easiest, if not easiest for QB's to face).      He's fine as a bridge, but a big caution to those that think it was a sustainable breakout.   Bridge yes.   Future guy...ugh.   Anyone who thinks Keenum has long-term potential - READ THE ARTICLE first, then consider again.   

7 minutes ago, champ11 said:

http://presnapreads.com/2017/11/28/case-keenum-and-the-season-of-supporting-casts/

This will definitely back @Broncofan main point about the supporting cast. Not a lot to get excited about in that article lol

Interesting article contending that Keenum is not the answer for the Broncos:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2764162-case-keenum-wont-help-broncos-escape-mediocrity-only-sink-deeper-into-it

Keenum is a gutsy/plucky/spunky journeyman who found himself in the right place at the right time last year. He's a modest upgrade over the Broncos' Travesty Trio of Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch and Brock Osweiler, who combined for 22 interceptions and 52 sacks last year. He has leadership qualities, will give the Broncos everything he's got and can provide a rookie with some mentorship.

But $18 million per year is a lot of dough for a cap-strapped veteran team. The Broncos believe they can win now with a Keenum-caliber caretaker, even though they just spent two years proving they cannot.

• The Broncos are not a solid quarterback away from becoming contenders again;
  • Case Keenum is not very solid; and
  • Kubiak likes Kubiak-type quarterbacks, while Elway is seeking the next Elway.

Let's start with that last item: the Elway-Kubiak, hero-and-wingman, megawatt talent-and-company man dynamic that dates back to the early 1980s and has defined the Broncos' quarterback situation since the day Peyton Manning retired.

The Broncos selected Lynch with the 26th pick of the first round in the 2016 draft. Lynch was the closest thing to a Young Elway that the Broncos could possibly have acquired: a huge, athletic rocketeer with tremendous upside but a lot to learn. Elway entrusted this obvious heir apparent to Kubiak, then the head coach, and Lynch squared off against pesky pepperpot Siemian for the starting job.

Siemian won that starting job. Lynch was rawer than expected. He earned a couple of midseason starts when Siemian was injured but did not appear in the season finale, after the Broncos were eliminated. Kubiak stepped down as head coach and became Elway's viceroy. Vance Joseph arrived, and it was widely assumed Lynch would claim the starting job in 2017.

Archived