Case Keenum will sign with broncos

49erurtaza

32 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Not a huge Keenum fan but I think they dodged a bullet with Kirk. Kirk's spending too much time trying to promote his brand. I just don't like it. It has this Tom vs Time feel to it. Like, hey Kirk, you're 4-19 against teams that finish over 500. Stop acting like superstar. You're a stat padder.

Also, I disagree with people saying Broncos will still consider a QB at 5. I haven't seen the gtd money yet but I doubt Case takes a Mike Glennon type of deal which was essentially a one year deal. I expect Denver to solidify the O-line and try to roll with Case for the next 3-4 years.

plz be true

6 hours ago, JPeezy55 said:

If I'm Denver, I'm calling Buffalo and holding the 5th spot for some kings ransom

Then we say no thanks dummie and move on up the board like we should be anyways

3 hours ago, bzane said:

No! No! What nonsense!

I shall continue to believe in the Once and Future Success of the Twin Towers, Bross Ockweiler and Laxton Pinch, in Denver, until the Rocky Mountains crumble, and Mile High is but an anthill in the desert sands! Let us keep the faith in these very tall, if not over-talented, young men; may their stars shine in the night sky o'er Denver till the end of time!

Image result for Paxton LynchImage result for Paxton Lynch

"Hey dere coach, do I throw this here ball to dem receiver guys in the same color shirt as me or what?!"

Anyways, I wish Case Keenum the best. He's a good guy and has always betted on himself. He deserves to see a nice contract now that he's hit 30.

I hope he signed a big enough contract to possibly cancel out Kirk Cousins signing, if he signs with Minnesota.

Part 1 of the 4 step plan is complete. Now we need to see how the rest falls.

59 minutes ago, lancerman said:

This is funny. Only because Von Miller looked like the biggest loser in the world begging Cousins to come there lol

If the biggest loser in the world is the 100 million dollar super bowl 50 mvp who does a lot for the community... sign me up.

23 minutes ago, Counselor said:

If the biggest loser in the world is the 100 million dollar super bowl 50 mvp who does a lot for the community... sign me up.

Total loser. Sends presents to his division rivals thanking them for pushing him to compete harder. 

Who is this the guillotine for? Osweiller or Lynch? That’s the real loser.

I posted this last week on Keenum so I’ll put it on record here: 

————————

I’m still a firm no to Keenum, as I'm not at all convinced he can be a top 10 QB.   Why would I say that?   Well, some points about Keenum in MIN:

1.  Talent made him better, not the other way around - Diggs & Thielen & Rudolph, plus the running game (with McKinnon as the pass catching threat), gave the MIN QB's great weapons - a top 10 TE, and two top 20 WR's, and a top 10 receiving Rb.  And that's before you get to..

2.   Their much improved OL - while Remmers wasn't a huge upgrade, getting healthy and adding Pat Eflein inside transformed their OL...especially in pass protection.  They graded out as the 6th best OL in pass pro.   They were only 15th in run blocking (and the eye test bore that out), but pass-pro wise, they were a really good unit.   I will point out that Keenum's own play helped reduce sacks - but the OL is literally miles ahead of where we are pass-pro wise.   Better pass protection always makes QB's look their best.   DAL 2016 & 2017 showed this in spades - they made Dak Prescott look like a future star in 2016 - but then with more pressure on him, well, his star talk disappeared in a hurry (still a way better pick than we did with Lynch, though, no doubt).  

3.  Level of Competition - MIN's schedule was literally one of the easiest for QB/WR's - the NFCN and teams MIN faced provided one of the softest secondaries faced.   In fact, for WR's, it was literally the easiest in recent history.  

4.   Game flow - MIN played with an elite D, and with a lead for almost all the games.    As we saw in the first few games, being with that kind of game script is the optimal environment for a QB to succeed.

5.  Elite OC adjustment - much like Foles benefitted from having genius-level game planning with Doug Pederson, OC Fritz Shurmur was recognized for being a top innovator and gamecaller/planner for MIN.   I suspect with a lesser talent, Keenum's flaws would be exposed more regularly. 

Add it all up, while I think Keenum would be clearly better than our 2017 QB's - he was a guy the team's talent, OL, weaker competition faced and the great OC helped play up all of his strengths - but masked weaknesses that have always been there before - and likely are still there now.     If we had no other choices, sure, we could do worse - but we have other choices, and I do want someone with top-10 QB ceiling if you are going to pay that kind of money, for those kind of years.

So no thanks on Keenum, given he will command more $ and more years than the other guys available.   1-year vet deal and 1.5 QB is still my preferred option, with Cousins out the way (and I was still conflicted even then, given the $ issues it created).   I just have to pray Elway doesn't fall for Allen as the guy - any of the other 3, I'd still prefer (Darnold/Rosen the 2 I am the most confident in), especially given the positional savings can then be used elsewhere.  

———————————-

Thing is that I doubt we got a 1-year only guaranteed deal by signing this early.   To be clear if Darnold/Rosen don’t fall to 1.5 and someone wants to move back then it’s ok.   What I dislike a TON is if Keenum is signed for multiple years from what the beat writers said yesterday a Keenum signing would exclude a 1.5 QB no matter how the board falls.  Under that scenario it’s an easy “no thanks” to signing Keenum. 

The biggest problem I have if we are committing 18-20M to Keenum and multiple years is it doesn’t make us good enough to address our other key needs.  Yes we could get Nelson at 1.5 instead of rookie at QB.  Yes we could get 1 more really good FA if we don’t get Cousins.   But we aren’t a QB and 1 guy away.  That was the 2013–15 thinking.  We were that good.  We aren’t now.  

My biggest support for rookie QB 1.5 (esp if it was Darnold / Rosen) is that after Year 1 even league average QB play at that salary allows us to address 3-4 needs with the $ saved for years 2-5.   It’s why Russell Wilson in SEA and Wentz / Goff now have their teams able to fill holes to go for a complete team.  It’s why Brady’s big discount helps NE so much to stay relevant for so long (B.B. and his brilliance with Gronk being the other factors).  It’s not enough though you need other components.  At 20M you make that job harder.  If the QB is special it’s justifiable.  If he’s league average or worse?   Terrible.  

Keenum could be OK.  He could also be a worse than average now that’s he not in the best situation a QB could have asked for.   To pass on the potential QBOTF at 1.5 would be a colossal mistake.   Now if the top 3 QB all go before 1.5 I get it - but then the 20M/multiple years (if true) still presents a problem.  

Elway keeps trying to fix us in 1 offseason.   We aren’t fixable in 1.  This would have been the ideal year to get a rookie and 1-year bridge given that.   If Keenum is more than a bridge (and a multi year deal guaranteed makes that more likely)....well meh. 

14 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

if bortles and keenum have similar contracts who's got the better chance to not be sent to the pit of misery?

If they both have a 95+ percent chance of inducing misery to both teams does it matter? 

The 3 big diffs:

1.  JAX is truly a QB away.  We aren’t.   They might be able to survive meh QB play.   We certainly won’t.  

2.  Bortles injury raised the very possible scenario his 19M option was going to guarantee.   They did the deal to save $ this year (and pushed money to 2019 to get that savings) to help win now.  But they did that given he was likely going to have to stay.  Elway chose to commit to Keenum when other stopgaps who would likely take 1-year guaranteed deals were still in the market.  

3.  Most importantly JAX has no shot at a top 3-4 QBOTF our of this class.  We do.  

JAX didn’t have much choice with the Bortles offseason surgery timing.   Elway did.  JAX didn’t have the option to think rookie QB.  Elway did.    Huge difference.  

Archived