The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

3 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I keep hearing that Day has been holding back to give it to the pupperines, but come on Day why can’t we hold back and give it to the Maryland cats too?

I actually sort of believe Day does this because of the *** whooping he gave Clemson in the 2021 game. That was the first time I watched Day coach a game and think “oh boy, this one was personal

He exposed Venables pretty bad in that game

Edited by candyman93

CJ is most likely a franchise QB 

Hes accurate, got the size, and commands an offense. 

Y’all gotta realize we can’t just blow everybody out. Those kids from other schools circle us on their schedules. We don’t circle them. 

we circle Michigan. Let’s see what we do this week. 

If CJ wants the Heisman he’s gotta win this one. I don’t care how. He’s faced adversity not having his backs consistently and the offenses 2nd best weapon in JSX. 

• Like 2

I think he can be a starter in the NFL but I think it depends on what your definition of franchise quarterback is. I think he is more Bridgewater than Mahomes. I think there are questions as to how good he will be. Can he stand in the pocket while pressured and make tight window throws down the field? Can he roll to his left and make a throw into a tight window? He definitely can stand in a clean pocket, go through progressions, and pick you apart. We don’t really see him, go off script and make plays with his legs that often. He does not have that Justin Fields running dynamic where you need to account for both of the options there. Caleb Williams has those elite traits where he’s a no question top caliber pick. I think if Stroud goes somewhere in the middle or late first round he could be set up pretty well for success, but I think if he lands on a bad team, I don’t think he is going to carry an offense. All I care about right now is whether he can beat Michigan, hopefully the offensive line has a lot better showing this season than last.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

I think he can be a starter in the NFL but I think it depends on what your definition of franchise quarterback is. I think he is more Bridgewater than Mahomes. I think there are questions as to how good he will be. Can he stand in the pocket while pressured and make tight window throws down the field? Can he brought to his left and make a throw into a tight window? He definitely can stand in a clean pocket, go through progressions, and pick you apart. We don’t really see him, go off script and make plays with his legs that often. He does not have that Justin Fields running dynamic where you need to account for both of the options there. Caleb Williams has those elite traits where he’s a no question top caliber pick. I think if Stroud goes somewhere in the middle or late first round he could be set up pretty well for success, but I think if he lands on a bad team, I don’t think he is going to carry an offense. All I care about right now is whether he can beat Michigan, hopefully the offensive line has a lot better showing this season than last.

I agree w/ a lot of this. I think he will be drafted too high and thrust into a situation that won't be good for him. If he could make it to someone like GB, sit behind Rodgers for a year and learn, that would be the ideal fit (not saying GB in particular just using them as a scenario). The more I watch Williams, the more I think he's going to be great. Still a raw product but he's got another year to work on that.

And your last line is really where it's at. Not too worried about what he can do as a pro. He's got (hopefully) four more games w/ us and I want to see the best football he's ever played in all four of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Random, but Jim Knowles has saved this program.

He’s not overrated like Jeff Haffley who got hyped because he had 5 star kids at CB.

He’s not complete garbage like Kerry Coombs because he actually teaches tackling.

This is the first tixe I have seen Jeff Hafley listed as overrated

huh

• Like 1

Yeah, I will have none of this Jeff Hafley slander. That 2019 team was special, the best we have had in recent memory, I felt like they were as good or better than the championship team in 2014. Those defensive backs, made a real transformation under Hafley. Okudah, Arnette, and Wade all became big-time players that year under his watch, and you saw some of them both before and after. That match up with LSU would have been killer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, I will have none of this Jeff Hafley slander. That 2019 team was special, the best we have had in recent memory, I felt like they were as good or better than the championship team in 2014. Those defensive backs, made a real transformation under Hafley. Okudah, Arnette, and Wade all became big-time players that year under his watch, and you saw some of them both before and after. That match up with LSU would have been killer.

He had absolutely zero response for Trevor Lawrence running all over us in the bowl game. Those guys you mentioned were all big time high school recruits who just finally lived up to their potential.

47 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

He had absolutely zero response for Trevor Lawrence running all over us in the bowl game. Those guys you mentioned were all big time high school recruits who just finally lived up to their potential.

We allowed 29 points to Clemson. They broke a couple big plays. That happens against this defense also. 29 points to Clemson was the most points we gave up all all season. Against an elite offense there. Failing to finish drives with touchdowns and settling for field goals and bad officiating is the only reason that game went the way it did.

There were three elite teams that year: LSU, Clemson, and Ohio State. I think all three of those teams would be the best team in the current season. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Gave up a goose egg before the egregious Ward ejection and we had a defensive TD called back due to a blatant gambling scandal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Random, but Jim Knowles has saved this program.

He’s not overrated like Jeff Haffley who got hyped because he had 5 star kids at CB.

He’s not complete garbage like Kerry Coombs because he actually teaches tackling.

Coombs was a defensive back savant. It’s not his fault he wasn’t a coordinator and pushed there by default. We could use a corner guy, ours suck.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Gave up a goose egg before the egregious Ward ejection and we had a defensive TD called back due to a blatant gambling scandal.

Yeah, Wade. Ejection there and also gave them a TD following a 3rd down stop and chance to get the ball back. The takeaway of Fuller’s TD was the most egregious thing I’ve ever witnessed. Definite Vegas involvement. 
TLDR that would have all meant even less points allowed by Hafley v. Clemson.

• Like 1