The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

On 12/27/2022 at 7:54 AM, THE DUKE said:

Eh, i'm not sweating Raiola.  Looks like a great prospect, but so did Ewers, who has had injury issues and may have just been recruited over by Arch Manning at Texas.  I'm 100% ok with a McCord/Brown QB battle going into next year.  It's a long time until a 2024 QB recruit is even close to starting, 2.5 years minimum.  A lot can happen in that time.  As for Raiola, he'll either follow his dad to Nebraska, which i'd get, or go to the highest NIL bidder, which I also get.  Good luck to the young man.

Its a bit deflating that you had the #1 QB (and overall player) in both 2021 and 2023 classes and both of them transferred. Ewers because of Stroud and Riaola because of......Lincoln Keinholtz??? Really

I dont agree with it, but maybe OSU should stop recruiting other QBs when they land the #1 QB prospect in the country in the same class. Going after a 3* project QB you like, sure, but knowing its going to ruffle some feathers--why continue to go after other 4-5* QBs when you already have the best one in the class.

These guys transferring all the time because of competition is soft as soft gets, but you have to recognize its a thing that happens and adjust. 

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter. OSU has never had a problem at QB regardless of what their * rating was. Terrell Pryor, Braxton Miller, JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields, CJ Stroud. Whoever they put back there, either McCord or Brown will play well enough to put them in playoff contention. The surrounding weapons and receivers make it almost impossible to be bad.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Its a bit deflating that you had the #1 QB (and overall player) in both 2021 and 2023 classes and both of them transferred. Ewers because of Stroud and Riaola because of......Lincoln Keinholtz??? Really

Anything to this more than Twitter talk? I've seen this said many times but when people are pressed to find evidence, it's just "well someone said it" and there's nothing more. 

Regardless, if people decommit bc of competition, do we even want that? Ty Lockwood was the first commit in '23 and heavily involved in trying to bring in recruits. Then we start pursuing Jelani Thurman, who looks incredible, and he just dipped and went to Bama. I don't want people like that on this team but that's just me. Granted his mom said it was bc it's closer to home but the difference between Columbus and Tuscaloosa is like 45 minutes so I'm not buying it lol.

Don't give me people who run from competition. Bad mentality 

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont agree with it, but maybe OSU should stop recruiting other QBs when they land the #1 QB prospect in the country in the same class. Going after a 3* project QB you like, sure, but knowing its going to ruffle some feathers--why continue to go after other 4-5* QBs when you already have the best one in the class.

I think just the opposite.  If the 5 star is that worried about a 3 star from the class before, that tells you something about his mentality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

These guys transferring all the time because of competition is soft as soft gets, but you have to recognize its a thing that happens and adjust. 

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter. OSU has never had a problem at QB regardless of what their * rating was. Terrell Pryor, Braxton Miller, JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields, CJ Stroud. Whoever they put back there, either McCord or Brown will play well enough to put them in playoff contention. The surrounding weapons and receivers make it almost impossible to be bad.

They aren’t in the same class

Raolla is in the class of 24 

the kid from SD is in the current class

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Ryan day needs to figure out that you have to be able to use a college quarterbacks legs, so until he figures that out, I will temper my expectations whoever is behind center.

Fields ran for over 800 yards in 22 games, I think it's more so something that he doesn't trust Stroud to do.  I also think he doesn't like his QB's to take a bunch of hits either.

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Ewers situation sucked but that was all his own doing. He was never suppose to be here in '21. He should have never reclassified. Dude saw his chance for money and took it. He went for the quick rich scheme, got the money from tOSU Cause he knew he had a spot and then left to get that texas money when he knew he wasnt going to be handed the starting job because Stroud became the real deal. Ewers will play next year for Texas and then leave cause he will be able to go to the NFL and because he knows Manning in his 2nd year is going to take over.

Its not like Day is going after all these top tier QBs in the same class. He tries to land at least one stud QB a class. Thats just smart recruiting because with Injuries and transfer portal, you dont want to be left with no QBs at a given time besides scrub guys. Keinholtz and Riaola werent even the same class. I kinda like the mentality Keinholtz has. Dude picked here even tho all these other QBs are here. He was welcoming the competition. He knew it would only make him better and if he didnt win out, he could go somewhere else and ball out. I like what I see from Keinholtz, thats for sure. Dude looks like one of the better athletes Day has recruited and landed outside of Fields.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Fields ran for over 800 yards in 22 games, I think it's more so something that he doesn't trust Stroud to do.  I also think he doesn't like his QB's to take a bunch of hits either.

That’s still some lack of use running Fields too though. Imo it’s a philosophy thing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

They aren’t in the same class

Raolla is in the class of 24 

the kid from SD is in the current class

Yeah, that's why I've never bought this theory. Someone on Twitter said it and I'm guessing everyone ran with it like it was true. Makes no sense and if it is true and Dylan whined and left bc of a commit in a different class, I want no part of him. That's a weak mentality 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

7 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah, that's why I've never bought this theory. Someone on Twitter said it and I'm guessing everyone ran with it like it was true. Makes no sense and if it is true and Dylan whined and left bc of a commit in a different class, I want no part of him. That's a weak mentality 

To be fair to Raiola, I really don't think that's it.  It's either the dad thing at Nebraska, or he's following the cash.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Given that Fields ran for over 1,000 in the NFL this year, that’s not great. He attempted under 10 rushes per game in his OSU career, a good portion of which were scrambles off of passing plays. The read attack isn’t a staple for Day, and it’s a huge problem.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

To be fair to Raiola, I really don't think that's it.  It's either the dad thing at Nebraska, or he's following the cash.

Exactly what I'm thinking as well. Don't think it's money though bc his family is very wealthy. Pretty sure his uncle coaching there then Rhule showing up is what did it. Rumors are Frost thought he had him as legacy and was lazy with his recruiting. Once Rhule showed up, things changed. Again though, just a rumor

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Given that Fields ran for over 1,000 in the NFL this year, that’s not great. He attempted under 10 rushes per game in his OSU career, a good portion of which were scrambles off of passing plays. The read attack isn’t a staple for Day, and it’s a huge problem.

Its not like the opportunities arnt there outside of the system. I find myself screaming at CJ Stroud to RUN at least 5x per game when he gets out of the pocket and there is seemingly 15 yards of open field but he is still sitting there la-di-da going through reads 25 yards downfield. Just GO how do you not see this CJ.

Fields pulled those down and ran when he was flushed out of the pocket, CJ doesnt and its alarming. He leaves at least 50 yards of easy rushing on the field every single game by trying to stay behind the LOS and make a pass downfield.

With UGAs defense on saturday collapsing the pocket, he better learn how to go pick up 5 quick yards over getting sacked/throwing the ball away or this team is doomed.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its not like the opportunities arnt there outside of the system. I find myself screaming at CJ Stroud to RUN at least 5x per game when he gets out of the pocket and there is seemingly 15 yards of open field but he is still sitting there la-di-da going through reads 25 yards downfield. Just GO how do you not see this CJ.

Fields pulled those down and ran when he was flushed out of the pocket, CJ doesnt and its alarming. He leaves at least 50 yards of easy rushing on the field every single game by trying to stay behind the LOS and make a pass downfield.

With UGAs defense on saturday collapsing the pocket, he better learn how to go pick up 5 quick yards over getting sacked/throwing the ball away or this team is doomed.

I hope I’m wrong, but CJ Stroud is going to show the world why he’s not ready for the NFL on Saturday against that front unless our OL plays their best football of the year.