The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I can't say less than a championship but other than that, I agree. If we make it there and get blown out, yeah, makes more sense. To me, this is a clear indication that players like him and are willing to play for him. They have millions of other reasons to leave and aren't. Still, OL and QB is our biggest question mark and unfortunately the most important parts of the offense. Maybe we can steal some kids from Bama before Lanning is announced.

Yeah it would really be nice to land another OL or two from Alabama transfers. Trotting put this same OL will yield the same results as this year

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I can't say less than a championship but other than that, I agree. If we make it there and get blown out, yeah, makes more sense. To me, this is a clear indication that players like him and are willing to play for him. They have millions of other reasons to leave and aren't. Still, OL and QB is our biggest question mark and unfortunately the most important parts of the offense. Maybe we can steal some kids from Bama before Lanning is announced.

Yeah, I’m interested to see who hits the portal from Alabama or who realizes that Dan Lanning is going to maintain elite play and they will stick it out. I imagine guys like Proctor and Downs will be prioritized by Alabama and given huge money to stay put, but I’m sure there would be massive interest if they did hit the portal. 

I also imagine when Lanning officially goes to Alabama, he takes some of his best players just like Riley the snake did leaving Oklahoma for SC. Fun times in CFB.

• Like 1

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah it would really be nice to land another OL or two from Alabama transfers. Trotting put this same OL with yield the same results as this year

Yeah, basically Ohio State needs to plug-in more talent on the offensive line. Assuming they get good quarterback play, that is the only real question mark. The defense should be fantastic.

• Like 1

Definitely the running to be the best defense in the country next year, no question. Howard is good but he's lacking compared to what we've had recently minus last season. At least he's a big guy w/ excellent speed for his size and is a competitor. He will lay it all out there, no question. Just minimize mistakes, score 25-30 a game, and we should be solid. Lean on that crazy talented running game which will be better if we can swipe some of those plug and play lineman Nate spoke of.

It's been a crazy off-season and we just got started. Can't wait for April

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

On 1/9/2024 at 9:21 PM, NateDawg said:

Ryan Day would hate that because Vrabel is a better coach than him and the fans would push for that to happen.

Vrabel might be the better NFL coach, he might not be the better college coach. I could see Vrabel getting very annoyed with recruiting, especially the NIL recruiting aspects.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah it would really be nice to land another OL or two from Alabama transfers. Trotting put this same OL will yield the same results as this year

They are already not trotting out the same OL.

Did people think Youth and Experience would not be an issue last year? OSU had 3 sophomores on the OL, can you remember the last time they started that many sophomores or less on the OL? They also had 4 first-year starters at their given positions. That was Simmons' first yr at LT, Hinzman's first year at C, Jones's first year at RG, and Fryar's first year at RT. Not only that, but the depth and overall OL unit were young. They had 4 guys who were JRs or older. That shows the issues with Studrawa and his recruiting the last year or two because it left their depth bare. It left their makeup as a group an issue. The team never had a legitimate LT on the team. Jackson was supposed to replace Paris but he showed he couldn't bump out in the spring and left them looking for a transfer. I always thought Fryar had a future at guard and not tackle but he got bumped out to RT. leaving an issue at guard. They werent really sure what they were going to do at center. Jones was suppose to be one of the best centers in his recruiting class but after 6 years his best spot was RG, we saw how awful of a center he was in the cotton bowl. They had to take on a transfer center, who hinzman beat out. Hell, Vimahi was potentially being penciled in at RG next season and he just showed in that cotton bowl that he doesnt deserve to sniff a starting spot. Hopefully McLaughlin is plug and play at RG.

They are going from returning 1 starter to potentially returning 4 starters. That is huge and the 5th guy is going to be a guy who started 18+ games for bama the last 2 years. I think they stand pat and see how spring ball plays out. I am not the biggest Fryar fan but I would love to see what Montgomery could potentially do.

Also, believe Howard's athletic ability greatly helps them as well. Having to account for his legs will help everyone. DL cant pin their ears back on pure passing downs because if they over rush, Howard will take off. You cant drop everyone into coverage to defend the pass, someone will need to have the responsibility to account for his legs, so a lot less deeper cover drops in the middle. two areas OSU greatly struggled this year were red zone, mainly inside the 10yard line and short to go. Howard will greatly improve those two areas because of his ability to run and his size alone. You watch him and you dont really realize he is 6'5 240. 

Watching Mccord's highlights and Howard's highlights, you see a big difference. Mccord was finding his playmakers and Howard was the playmaker

51 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Vrabel might be the better NFL coach, he might not be the better college coach. I could see Vrabel getting very annoyed with recruiting, especially the NIL recruiting aspects.

Vrable has already said he hates recruiting if I'm not mistaken. Honestly, w/ the Pats job opening up, I could easily see him going there.

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Definitely the running to be the best defense in the country next year, no question. Howard is good but he's lacking compared to what we've had recently minus last season. At least he's a big guy w/ excellent speed for his size and is a competitor. He will lay it all out there, no question. Just minimize mistakes, score 25-30 a game, and we should be solid. Lean on that crazy talented running game which will be better if we can swipe some of those plug and play lineman Nate spoke of.

It's been a crazy off-season and we just got started. Can't wait for April

idk my last post responding about the OL, got me going down a rabbit hole of watching Mccord highlights and Howard highlights. Big difference I see was, Mccord was finding his playmakers, where Howard is the playmaker. I see a lot of JT Barrett in Howard's game, mainly the running ability. The redzone offense is going to be good again. I know last year once the field was condensed down and  Mccord would struggle. Howards' size and athletic ability is going to be dangerous in that aspect. I hope we see more roll outs, boots, and sprint outs with howard at QB. One, it makes things easier for the OL, puts added stress on the defense but gives Howard option to run or pass

but if you put a rushing attack of Henderso, Jud, and Howard, it could be real dangerous. Especially with Howard's size, you could give him some in-line run responsibilities, where Henderson and Jud get the outside and if they get the corner with no issues, they are gone!!!

I also feel like at times the offense would stall out because 1st and 2nd down were not successful. I think Howard's ability to take a busted play and pick up something will help too. There were times if Mccord could have just pulled it down and picked up 4-5 yards it would have greatly made the next play more successful 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, buno67 said:

idk my last post responding about the OL, got me going down a rabbit hole of watching Mccord highlights and Howard highlights. Big difference I see was, Mccord was finding his playmakers, where Howard is the playmaker. I see a lot of JT Barrett in Howard's game, mainly the running ability. The redzone offense is going to be good again. I know last year once the field was condensed down and  Mccord would struggle. Howards' size and athletic ability is going to be dangerous in that aspect. I hope we see more roll outs, boots, and sprint outs with howard at QB. One, it makes things easier for the OL, puts added stress on the defense but gives Howard option to run or pass

but if you put a rushing attack of Henderso, Jud, and Howard, it could be real dangerous. Especially with Howard's size, you could give him some in-line run responsibilities, where Henderson and Jud get the outside and if they get the corner with no issues, they are gone!!!

I also feel like at times the offense would stall out because 1st and 2nd down were not successful. I think Howard's ability to take a busted play and pick up something will help too. There were times if Mccord could have just pulled it down and picked up 4-5 yards it would have greatly made the next play more successful 

Regarding Howards skillset, I really hope Day opens the playbook up a bit. Even with Fields/Stroud he didnt seem to want them running much out of concern for injury. Stroud he never ran. Looking back on it, he neutered Fields with his running ability to make him more of a pocket passer.

Anyways this is a area Day needs to adapt or die with. Mix a little Urban Meyer play calling in there. Not everyone has to be pocket passer or bust. If a guy has running capability, that needs to be in the playbook. Its partially why Urbans offenses were able to win those big games against UM/Playoffs. Need to have a second option if your QB is having a off throwing day.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Regarding Howards skillset, I really hope Day opens the playbook up a bit. Even with Fields/Stroud he didnt seem to want them running much out of concern for injury. Stroud he never ran. Looking back on it, he neutered Fields with his running ability to make him more of a pocket passer.

Anyways this is an area Day needs to adapt or die with. Mix a little Urban Meyer play calling in there. Not everyone has to be pocket passer or bust. If a guy has running capability, that needs to be in the playbook. Its partially why Urbans offenses were able to win those big games against UM/Playoffs. Need to have a second option if your QB is having an off throwing day.

Regarding fields, I thought Day utilized his running just fine. You didn’t need him running the ball when you had a 2k rusher in Dobbins. I don’t care about the designed runs but just allow them to take off and run when needed. 

big difference is Howard is a big boy and should be able to handle the wear and tear. Fields was 6’2 220, stroud was 6’3 210-215. Where Howard is around 6’4-6’5 240

with fields and stroud, they weren’t taking off and running but they were extending the pocket and extending the passing play, buying more time for his WRs to get open. vs Georgia alone, Stroud extended two passing plays with his feet and it lead to two Harrison TDs. We greatly missed that this year because McCord wasn’t buying anyone time. 

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

If Howard doesn't have 400+ yards rushing, I will consider that a massive failure by Ryan Day

Really depends on what offense does tho. You have talented WRs and probably the best 2 RBs in the country or at least two in the top5/10.

I just want him making plays. Extend passing plays to give his dudes an extra second to get open or in the red zone he keeps it and runs in untouched. Maybe use the year with Howard to show brown or Klein what they need to do because those dudes should play like he does maybe the same with Nolan as well

Yeah, that seems to be the case, not official, but that’s been alluded to. Henderson is the last one they are waiting on.

I will say I have not seen this much talent. That’s strapped eligible ever return at Ohio State. They have obviously had had NIL shortcomings with bringing in recruits and such at times but it seems like they are making it worth current players worthwhile to stick around if they aren’t guaranteed to go in high in the draft. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Really depends on what offense does tho. You have talented WRs and probably the best 2 RBs in the country or at least two in the top5/10.

I just want him making plays. Extend passing plays to give his dudes an extra second to get open or in the red zone he keeps it and runs in untouched. Maybe use the year with Howard to show brown or Klein what they need to do because those dudes should play like he does maybe the same with Nolan as well

We keep "running" the read option play where the QB never keeps it, even when it is wiiiiiide open and an obvious keep read.  As long as we run that play, we should have a QB willing to run it.  

• Like 1