The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

Had some time to digest this hire bc it was unexpected to me.

I like it. When he's had the tools to work with, things have gone well. I feel like we're giving him the best offensive weapons he's ever had in his entire career. He did great things with most QBs he's ever had especially at the collegiate level (once at an established program). A proven QB developer which will help Rogers and Co. Did great things at PSU considering the situation. Maybe the only reason Young was drafted over Stroud. 

I'm interested to see what he can do. Day is basically betting his career on this guy so we'll see what happens

9 hours ago, brownie man said:

I am surprised BOB doesn’t have any Super Bowl wins with Brady. 

BOB should also be a solid recruiter too in our area. He had to learn something after being Penn State’s HC. I won’t judge him too much off this latest patriots stint. That offensive roster was trash. 

That might be the most surprising thing, he was never a part of one of their SB wins, I thought he was. 

idk how much he will help recruit in this area but he should be able to help recruit down south from his time at Bama. Take over the schools Saban had on lock down 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Had some time to digest this hire bc it was unexpected to me.

I like it. When he's had the tools to work with, things have gone well. I feel like we're giving him the best offensive weapons he's ever had in his entire career. He did great things with most QBs he's ever had especially at the collegiate level (once at an established program). A proven QB developer which will help Rogers and Co. Did great things at PSU considering the situation. Maybe the only reason Young was drafted over Stroud. 

I'm interested to see what he can do. Day is basically betting his career on this guy so we'll see what happens

Is he betting his career? It’s not like his football life is on the line. If he is fired he will be the #1 HC on the college football market IMO and be one of the top candidates to be an NFL OC IMO. 

I really like the hire. Day now has two reliable coordinators in Knowles and Bob. Day can hopefully step into an Urban/CEO type role. That he can help mold the offense and what not but be able to step away and help in other areas. 

Also shows that Day does has pretty good self awareness. They had issues with wasting a spot on Fleming, so he fired him. I don’t blame him, he was trying to run the team like an NFL team and probably assumed he needed a STC. it’s tough being the OC and HC and needed to step away from calling plays and he did. He could Have gone the easy way and went after a young OC he could have manipulated but he went after a well established vet OC. 

just wonder if BoB could maybe help land Downs? He wasn’t a recruiter of him but he was on staff when they were recruiting him. Downs was a top10 player so you know every coach probably was talking to him. Also curious if it means day will open up his ability on recruiting. Was he the main guy to recruit QBs? He can give that responsibility to BoB and Day can help recruit more positions more so than before. 

this is the first time BoB has worked under a pretty damn good offensive coach in a guy like Day, so I’m curious on what kind of offense they come up with. Like we know the offense day runs but you look at one of the more successful offenses BoB ran in the ‘11 pats, they had an amazing Wes welker season but Gronk and Hernandaz were a crazy TE duo. Does Bob finally bring the ability to use a TE to Day’s scheme? I know he didn’t completely ignore the TEs at Bama.

Reading that BoB will have some say over offensive coaches, Does Bob go after Wolford the OL coach he had in ‘22? Wolford also coached with day on the 49ers? Wolford has NFL experience, was the HC at Youngstown State for a handful of years, so he could def recruit Ohio but had plenty of SEC coaching experience so he can help recruit the south. 

I like Frye but it’s just a thought 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Is he betting his career? It’s not like his football life is on the line. If he is fired he will be the #1 HC on the college football market IMO and be one of the top candidates to be an NFL OC IMO. 

I really like the hire. Day now has two reliable coordinators in Knowles and Bob. Day can hopefully step into an Urban/CEO type role. That he can help mold the offense and what not but be able to step away and help in other areas. 

Also shows that Day does has pretty good self awareness. They had issues with wasting a spot on Fleming, so he fired him. I don’t blame him, he was trying to run the team like an NFL team and probably assumed he needed a STC. it’s tough being the OC and HC and needed to step away from calling plays and he did. He could Have gone the easy way and went after a young OC he could have manipulated but he went after a well established vet OC. 

just wonder if BoB could maybe help land Downs? He wasn’t a recruiter of him but he was on staff when they were recruiting him. Downs was a top10 player so you know every coach probably was talking to him. Also curious if it means day will open up his ability on recruiting. Was he the main guy to recruit QBs? He can give that responsibility to BoB and Day can help recruit more positions more so than before. 

this is the first time BoB has worked under a pretty damn good offensive coach in a guy like Day, so I’m curious on what kind of offense they come up with. Like we know the offense day runs but you look at one of the more successful offenses BoB ran in the ‘11 pats, they had an amazing Wes welker season but Gronk and Hernandaz were a crazy TE duo. Does Bob finally bring the ability to use a TE to Day’s scheme? I know he didn’t completely ignore the TEs at Bama.

Reading that BoB will have some say over offensive coaches, Does Bob go after Wolford the OL coach he had in ‘22? Wolford also coached with day on the 49ers? Wolford has NFL experience, was the HC at Youngstown State for a handful of years, so he could def recruit Ohio but had plenty of SEC coaching experience so he can help recruit the south. 

I like Frye but it’s just a thought 

You're right. I meant his OSU career. Ryan has done very well this off-season, IMO, and we're not done yet. He apparently got both Saban's and Belichick's opinions on BOB before hiring him which I absolutely like. This will likely be one of the most talented group of players BOB has ever had as well. Hell, there's probably 4 skill position guys on this team that would've started for the Pats last season. Still trying to figure out how this is going to work but I've heard Day will leave the play calling up to him and Day will act more as a CEO. We definitely need to upgrade Frye and hopefully he does it.

13 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

upgrade Frye and hopefully he does it.

I still not sure that holds true, dude still deserves time to get the guys he recruited with day and see how they pan out. Studrawa did no favors for this unit when it came to planning long term for the unit when he was nearing the end of his time. 

Tom Loy said once it's official that Julian Sayin enters the portal, he's immediately putting a CB for him to come to OSU..... Feel bad for Air but Sayin looks like he's an insanely good talent. 

Definitely not expecting this one.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

3 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Tom Loy said once it's official that Julian Sayin enters the portal, he's immediately putting a CB for him to come to OSU..... Feel bad for Air but Sayin looks like he's an insanely good talent. 

changing post. Because I had it all wrong. I thought Sayin was in last years class because of them saying transfer. Didnt know he was this years class. Yeah Noland should feel Disrespected a little but a chip on the shoulder never hurts. Sayin uber talented so it be hard to say no

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

If true, this doesn't sit very well with me.  That's doing Air Noland dirty at the last possible second.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

If true, this doesn't sit very well with me.  That's doing Air Noland dirty at the last possible second.

Absolutely agreed. Apparently they're meeting regarding it tomorrow. 

Edit: At the same time, we should want the best people for the job and everyone gets a chance to compete. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Bama was pretty damn solid on offense when he was there.

Pulled a 180 from 1st season to 2nd season too. 1st year they had a pretty nice passing attack with Jameson and metchie. The 2nd yr a RB lead the team in catches. Also it’s not like he is doing all the leg work on the offense

55 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

He isnt even good at that though.

Idk he made Watson look pretty good. Dude looks like garbage in Cleveland. That’s with Stefanski, who is regarded as a top tier play caller