The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

27 minutes ago, buno67 said:

actually he was right about '23, he knew it was supposed to be Ewers or planned it to be but him reclassifying screwed everything up and we were kinda stuck with Mccord IMO. If you look at Brown and Mccord, it seems like Mccord was the right one

He said no to JJ McCarthy committing and then took a commitment from Kyle McCord. It was inarguably a bad evaluation and bad decision.

Too early to definitively say one way or the other but the way it’s shaping out there’s a good chance Devin Brown and Lincoln Keinholz don’t ever see a real meaningful down here. That would make three straight classes of misses at quarterback.

Edited by NateDawg

19 hours ago, NateDawg said:

He said no to JJ McCarthy committing and then took a commitment from Kyle McCord. It was inarguably a bad evaluation and bad decision.

Too early to definitively say one way or the other but the way it’s shaping out there’s a good chance Devin Brown and Lincoln Keinholz don’t ever see a real meaningful down here. That would make three straight classes of misses at quarterback.

I think McCord was more of a way to lock in Harrison. I also believe that class was suppose to be a throw away class. You had a 5* in CJ the year before and were supposed to get Ewers the year after. The QB in that class was never supposed to be the starter for the team IMO.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Raves said:

If Vrabel doesn't get a HC job this year I wonder if we could bring him onto the staff for a year in some role.  He'd be a huge help in toughening up the team.

thought he has publicly stated he hates recruiting? He is good at it but hates it. So I don’t know he is viable. 

rather give the on field position to someone who has A future. Vrabel seems destined to be back in the. NFL. Maybe a defense analyst type role.

if Alford ever leaves or retires in the near future it be great to try and get Eddie in as RB coach. 

31 minutes ago, buno67 said:

thought he has publicly stated he hates recruiting? He is good at it but hates it. So I don’t know he is viable. 

rather give the on field position to someone who has A future. Vrabel seems destined to be back in the. NFL. Maybe a defense analyst type role.

if Alford ever leaves or retires in the near future it be great to try and get Eddie in as RB coach. 

Doesn't need to be a recruiting position.  Something like a "Culture Liasion" or something.  Just some drummed up position he could fill for a year before going back to being an NFL HC if he missed out this year and help Day bring in a little more toughness to the culture.

I havent had any issues with the last two offensive line classes for OSU. I think very highly of the armstrong twins, I can see those dudes locking down one side or another for atleast 2 seasons. With that being said, I think next years class and the class after that could be really special. I think the tackle prospect from Massillon, Nolan Davenport, is going to be a stud and should blow up on the recruiting scene this upcoming summer. Dude transitioned to Tackle this year from being a TE and is already rated a 3* tackle. You pair that with Carter Lowe from Whitmer and they should headline that OL class. The real money maker will be that '26 class. Max Riley, from Avon Lake should be in the running for best tackle in the nation, not just Ohio. You then also add that tackle from Hoban in that same class, in Sam Greer, who is already 6'8 290. Riley should hopefully be at least a top25 prospect, while Greer could be top50.

Frye should have a pretty light traveling schedule the next two years because it seems like Ohio is loaded with OL talent the next 2 years. Iggy also has a stud guard too who was just recently offered. I feel like Studrawa dropped the ball and left the cupboard very bare for Frye but he should be able to restock it quickly

23 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I havent had any issues with the last two offensive line classes for OSU. I think very highly of the armstrong twins, I can see those dudes locking down one side or another for atleast 2 seasons. With that being said, I think next years class and the class after that could be really special. I think the tackle prospect from Massillon, Nolan Davenport, is going to be a stud and should blow up on the recruiting scene this upcoming summer. Dude transitioned to Tackle this year from being a TE and is already rated a 3* tackle. You pair that with Carter Lowe from Whitmer and they should headline that OL class. The real money maker will be that '26 class. Max Riley, from Avon Lake should be in the running for best tackle in the nation, not just Ohio. You then also add that tackle from Hoban in that same class, in Sam Greer, who is already 6'8 290. Riley should hopefully be at least a top25 prospect, while Greer could be top50.

Frye should have a pretty light traveling schedule the next two years because it seems like Ohio is loaded with OL talent the next 2 years. Iggy also has a stud guard too who was just recently offered. I feel like Studrawa dropped the ball and left the cupboard very bare for Frye but he should be able to restock it quickly

Development worries me more.

2020 was Paris Johnson and some guys to fill the room as three stars. Fryar managed to turn into a useful player but the other guys didn't do anything.

21 was ok. Jackson was a five star, but michalski and Chrisman were both 4 stars and borderline top 200 players. Guys like that should have been able to play here in their third season but they weren't close.

2022, Tegra was a top 100 guy, higher some other places. He should be able to hold down a job, but that's not been the case. Fitzpatrick and Hinzman were both top 200 players. Ohio State should be able to make that sort of guy playable but Hinzman wasn't great and just lost his job to a transfer. Fitzpatrick hasn't shown anything from what we've heard.

So the evaluation could be off or the development, but Ohio State really should be getting adequate results out of the recruits we've brought in. Dominant is preferable but what we've seen really has been disappointing. I'm not sure the answer is getting better recruits 

13 minutes ago, pf9 said:

The Chargers have just hired Jim Harbaugh.

Could this lead to us taking back control of the UM rivalry?

We were taking it back regardless if he was there or not. They're losing a lot and we brought back almost everyone. Plus they couldn't cheat. 

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

Development worries me more.

2020 was Paris Johnson and some guys to fill the room as three stars. Fryar managed to turn into a useful player but the other guys didn't do anything.

21 was ok. Jackson was a five star, but michalski and Chrisman were both 4 stars and borderline top 200 players. Guys like that should have been able to play here in their third season but they weren't close.

2022, Tegra was a top 100 guy, higher some other places. He should be able to hold down a job, but that's not been the case. Fitzpatrick and Hinzman were both top 200 players. Ohio State should be able to make that sort of guy playable but Hinzman wasn't great and just lost his job to a transfer. Fitzpatrick hasn't shown anything from what we've heard.

So the evaluation could be off or the development, but Ohio State really should be getting adequate results out of the recruits we've brought in. Dominant is preferable but what we've seen really has been disappointing. I'm not sure the answer is getting better recruits 

I would say the evaluation is off when Jackson who was supposed to be a 5* LT is at best a LG. Which is a miss because it ruined the make up of the OL room because it means one less tackle, especially when he was supposed to be the one to kick out and replace Paris.

How much can be put on overall youth? OSU started 3 sophomores and 4players overall making their first career starts. Simmons was a 1st yr LT, Hinzman 1st yr C, Jones 1st yr RG, and Fryar 1st yr RT. That is asking a lot. Its not like they had an experienced QB to help make up for it either. Lack of Experience from both sides exposed each other. Like you look at Michigan, their younest startng lineman last year was a true senior. 

On 1/23/2024 at 5:01 PM, Raves said:

Doesn't need to be a recruiting position.  Something like a "Culture Liasion" or something.  Just some drummed up position he could fill for a year before going back to being an NFL HC if he missed out this year and help Day bring in a little more toughness to the culture.

https://x.com/tSilverBulletin/status/1750635480494858326?s=20

Here is a culture guy for ya lol. I like it

Edited by buno67

14 hours ago, buno67 said:

https://x.com/tSilverBulletin/status/1750635480494858326?s=20

Here is a culture guy for ya lol. I like it

I'm down with it.  I just wanted anyone to be brought on, even for a year, to help build up some more toughness and thought since Vrabel might have to wait a year to become the Saints HC he'd be great fit to help out his alma mater for a year

On 1/24/2024 at 7:21 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

We were taking it back regardless if he was there or not. They're losing a lot and we brought back almost everyone. Plus they couldn't cheat. 

Can’t lie it’s bittersweet to me Mr Sleepover AKA Mr I’ll climb a tree for ya laddie is gone. I really wanted to whoop his *** with what we acquired as assets this year. Really good offseason for us. I’ve always been of the mindset that I’m taking mine and I’ll go against yorn and I’m going to win.