The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

10 hours ago, buno67 said:

Top 100 player, Carter Lowe announces his commitment today at 3 pm. He should be picking OSU but you never know. He would be a great start to the OL class for the overall '25 class. 

And he did just that. It's still so early but the '25 class is shaping up to be very good. 

did day or any sources come out saying who were other potential candidates for OC? It looks like BoB might be taking the BC job but everything that I read it is not official but hearing it is coming down to contract talks.

12 hours ago, buno67 said:

did day or any sources come out saying who were other potential candidates for OC? It looks like BoB might be taking the BC job but everything that I read it is not official but hearing it is coming down to contract talks.

Seems very late in the process to find someone so I'm guessing it'll be like how things were last year. 

So Chip Kelly is their OC and not Bill O'Brien?

Might as well give Ohio State the national title right now, with all they have returning they were already the clear favorite and now with Chip Kelly as a playcaller potentially!  Yeah they are going to be amazing, think of that run game with Judkins and Henderson combined with Chip Kelly.

Seems kind of stupid having this big 12 team playoff when yeah everyone knows the results before it even starts potentially.  Sure injuries can happen and things change but come on, just defensively alone Ohio State is far and above any other team in college football with returning players on that side of the football.  If they do not win the National title that will be a massive disappointment.  

I was happy with BoB but we have to agree that Kelly as an OC is an upgrade. Left a lot to be desired as a head coach but when running an offense, his resume is pretty stellar and he'll have an absolute mess off offensive weapons at his disposal. 

Can someone tell me why I should pump the brakes here? I tend to pay more attention to recent success so maybe I'm misremembering some things about his tenure as an OC that is something we should worry about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I was happy with BoB but we have to agree that Kelly as an OC is an upgrade. Left a lot to be desired as a head coach but when running an offense, his resume is pretty stellar and he'll have an absolute mess off offensive weapons at his disposal. 

Can someone tell me why I should pump the brakes here? I tend to pay more attention to recent success so maybe I'm misremembering some things about his tenure as an OC that is something we should worry about. 

Chip Kelly was bad as a head coach?  Last time I checked he did pretty damn well at UCLA and beat USC this past year and had the program in the right direction after some questionable seasons with previous coaches.

And at Oregon the guy was extremely successful and revolutionary in the run game, had a 46-7 record there and tons of success.  A lot left to be desired?  Not really, sure maybe in the NFL but just because a coach fails in the NFL does not mean he is a bad coach, aka Nick Saban. 

Smoke and mirrors. When it’s 2nd and 9 every time because we aren’t physical and still can’t run the ball, the weapons we have only get us so far. We will see I guess if Chip Kelly convinces Ryab Day to allow a quarterback to use his legs as an extra guy to account for. Regardless, when I see them start controlling the game the way they need to on offense I will change my tune a bit, but I’ve not seen anything yet that shores up the biggest deficits on that side of the ball.

14 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

pump the brakes? All gas brother!!!

Some have said, Kelly as a HC, has not lead to much overall team success, but his offenses never really disappointed. 

I was reading a stat that when he took over Oregon, they were the 12th best rushing attack. So really not much room to truly improve but the following year they increased their YPC by 1.2 yards which is crazy. When he took over UCLA, he took over a team that was 97th in the nation yards per carry, in 4yrs, they were the #1 rushing attack in the nation in '22 and were the only team to avg 6yards a carry. Yes the Pac12 doesnt have the best defenses but he still had his guys executing. Utah is the top tier program in that conference, during Kelly's tenure he had UCLA offensively matching them for the 6years. In the NFL he has the #1, #4 (mess in SF), #9, and #14 (McCoy left if I remember correctly the off-season before the season) rushing attacks. Again overall team success wasnt there but rushing attacks were still pretty damn good to respectable. 

Going back to UCLA, in '18 and '19 the team wasnt very good but from '20, '21, '22, and '23, the rushing attacks were all in the top20. In '21 they had the #1 ypc in the nation but looking at yards per game they were 14th and that year Michigan finished 15th, in '22 they were 6th in ypg right behind michigan  by .7 of a yard. Again they were #1 in ypc at 6yards a carry but they ran it 513x while everyone ahead of them was at 600 or more.

One guy who helped Kelly with that run game was Frye. Kelly and frye built up that rushing attack. So hopefully we see it again at OSU.

Now statically speaking, will we see these kind of numbers at OSU? The ypc I hope to see but the rushing yards per game, might not be there because this OSU should still be pretty deadly passing the ball.

I want to see the kind of offense Day and Kelly come up with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Smoke and mirrors. When it’s 2nd and 9 every time because we aren’t physical and still can’t run the ball, the weapons we have only get us so far. We will see I guess if Chip Kelly convinces Ryab Day to allow a quarterback to use his legs as an extra guy to account for. Regardless, when I see them start controlling the game the way they need to on offense I will change my tune a bit, but I’ve not seen anything yet that shores up the biggest deficits on that side of the ball.

Kelly has had a top tier rushing attack at every stop he has pretty much been at, why would it suddenly stop the minute he gets to Ohio St? I could see if Day hired an inexperienced guy, that we would probably see him still having full control of the offense. He just hired chip kelly, probably one of the most experienced offensive minds in the nation to run his offense. Day will still be involved with the offense and the scheme they put together and game plans they come up with but you cant hired Kelly and take out the QB running attack.

Also its not like the QB run attack is going to be motor to the offense, like it was with Urban. With Kelly, it always seemed like the QB run was the product of the overall rushing attack. Kelly always had a stud RB that carried the load. I would maybe hopefully see a running attacked that resembled what they had with fields and Dobbins but instead of dobbins doing all the heavy lifting its Henderson and Jud

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I always thought Kelly had a dominant running attack everywhere he's been though. His familiarity with Frye should also help, I would like to think. I do agree that we need to start using the QBs legs more often though especially with a guy like Howard back there. I don't see the point if bringing him in if you're not going to run with him.