The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I’d guess about 1/5 of our fan base is more upset about that than Cousins lol.  

(I’m not one of those guys lol). 

I just remember popping up over there and reading a few people that were extremely upset that you guys didn’t actually sign him to the active roster. I am actually excited to see if he can duplicate the preseason success in Minnesota again this year.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I'll make it easier.   So you make those claims and don't bother doing research, and make that statement.  Let me make it easy for you.  It's all referenced by SPOTRAC & OTC, btw:

The OP is in the FF Main Forum MIN QB Discussion Thread, page 10.  If that's not too much trouble.    Conclusion - MIN is fine cap-wise...even with the Cousins signing.   SMH @ that take  and then telling others to do research.   

I listened to a podcast yesterday with Matthew Coller, someone I consider to be very knowledgeable about the Vikings and they expressed a great deal of concern. Diggs is going to use the Evans contract as a starting point, Barr should be in the 11-12 mil range. Kendricks needs to be resigned. If you pay Diggs, Thielen will want a new deal. There are implications here, and it’s not difficult look ahead.

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I listened to a podcast yesterday with Matthew Coller, someone I consider to be very knowledgeable about the Vikings and they expressed a great deal of concern. Diggs is going to use the Evans contract as a starting point, Barr should be in the 11-12 mil range. Kendricks needs to be resigned. If you pay Diggs, Thielen will want a new deal. There are implications here, and it’s not difficult look ahead.

I did.  Read the post in its entirety.   The #'s are all on Spotrac & OTC, and they update regularly, too.   Remember, you made the call for people to do the research.   Might be worthwhile to take your own advice.  Or you can just listen the radio, not know the actual numbers, and then admit you don't actually know the info.   It's a free country, your call.  Good luck with that approach.   I've got no dog in this show, just came to wish MIN fans well with Cousins signing and getting Siemian.  

Edited by Broncofan

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Committing the most money ever committed to a single player is going to have significant salary cap implications. 

This is actually partially false. Stafford... if they don’t cut him, will be making more money over the next 3 years than what Cousins is making. 

All we was give him the most average per year of contract. 

Not the most ever to a player. 

This will I’ll also be beat coming very soon... and continue to be overshadowed in the upcoming few years.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I did.  Read the post in its entirety.   The #'s are all on Spotrac & OTC, and they update regularly, too.   Remember, you made the call for people to do the research.   Might be worthwhile to take your own advice.  Or you can just listen the radio, not know the actual numbers, and then admit you don't actually know the info.   It's a free country, your call.  Good luck with that approach.

RIP JD, good lord 

5 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I'm looking forward to hearing what you would have done. Popcorn's ready big guy, what was your plan?  Because it seems like you don't like Rick's plan. 

Trolling aside, I’ll answer you. I don’t know that I would have done anything different. My only point, which you seem to be intentionally missing, is that I think there is a lot of risk in paying a top 12ish QB the most money in the history of the nfl when there are 4-5 core players that are going to need deals in the next two years. 

I honestly hope Kirk works out. I think he is objectively more talented than Cousins. The only way that this is worth it is if the Vikings make it to the Super Bowl with Cousins. Anything less and this signing was a bust because they already got close with Keenum. That’s an awfully big gamble in my book.

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

If you look at it all like this... we would eventually lose someone anyway, or players will start holding out. 

This comes with drafting well. Teams that draft well, end up losing some fan favorites. At some point you can’t afford to resign everyone. If we continue to try, we will become the old team full of Brian Robisons. Then you turn to rebuild mode.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I did.  Read the post in its entirety.   The #'s are all on Spotrac & OTC, and they update regularly, too.   Remember, you made the call for people to do the research.   Might be worthwhile to take your own advice.  Or you can just listen the radio, not know the actual numbers, and then admit you don't actually know the info.   It's a free country, your call.  Good luck with that approach.   I've got no dog in this show, just came to wish MIN fans well with Cousins signing and getting Siemian.  

Oh please tell me more about how much Diggs, Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, Waynes, and Alexander are going to cost. Glad you found those numbers on spotrac.

holy cow. I never knew that having a little trepidation over a massive QB contract was going to make people so upset.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Trolling aside, I’ll answer you. I don’t know that I would have done anything different. My only point, which you seem to be intentionally missing, is that I think there is a lot of risk in paying a top 12ish QB the most money in the history of the nfl when there are 4-5 core players that are going to need deals in the next two years. 

I honestly hope Kirk works out. I think he is objectively more talented than Cousins. The only way that this is worth it is if the Vikings make it to the Super Bowl with Cousins. Anything less and this signing was a bust because they already got close with Keenum. That’s an awfully big gamble in my book.

Of course there's risk. Nobody's arguing that. 

BroncoFan just explained to you that they have literally a ton of cap space for the next 3 years. Stop ignoring that and blindly just basing your opinion off of something you heard on the radio.  

2018:  47m

2019:  68m

2020:  92m

you having a tough time wrapping your head around this? 

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

And Matthew Coller is a hockey guy, that watches Vikings football.

he also works for ESPN 1500, so they are about as close to the Vikings organization as JR is on Twitter.

Matthew Coller is a Vikings reporter and has spent a ton of time researching all of this. Probably does some hockey too. But Check his twitter and the articles he writes. Pretty high quality football analysis.