The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

Agreed.   Unfortunately, sarcasm is self-perpetuating.  Sarcasm begets sarcasm, which often begets its second cousin; snark. 

Who 'snarky-ed' first?  ;)

Despite your best efforts to quell this schism wrought with sarcasm, it's gonna happen from time to time until the 2018 season starts and we all pull together for a team instead of a single player

I don't think it really should matter who reacted with snarkiness first.  All of us have the ability to respond to snark with thoughtfulness.  Now, I am willing to admit, that I don't always follow my own advice, however, I am determined to improve.

Why do people say it's a big gamble going with Cousins? I can understand the financial angle but for football reasons, I actually think it would have been even bigger gamble if went ahead with Bradford or Teddy or Case, especially considering that we are in a SB window now. 

• Like 2

Spielman: "We had some of their players and their wives, coaches and their wives. Just to get a feel for everything. It's all football with him tomorrow. In fact, I hope I don't see him tomorrow until he's singing the paper. He'll be with the coaches all day tomorrow. He and Zim had a nice talk with him tonight as well, along with ownership. I know, we'll talk tomorrow, hopefully at the press conference, but he's not only, from a football player standpoint, but from a character standpoint, a family guy, leadership, everything is just off the charts."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikings-gm-kirk-cousins-confirm-plans-to-finalize-his-new-contract-thursday-morning/

Credit to Kirk Cousins. It took stomach to pull off what he did. Two years ago, when his agent, Mike McCartney, first proposed a fully-guaranteed, three-year deal to the Redskins, he may has well have been asking the team for the deed to FedEx Field. It’s now March 2018. And McCartney and Cousins are hours away from pulling it off.

Could this lead to bigger change? That much will be up to Atlanta’s Matt Ryan, Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers, New England’s Tom Brady and Pittsburgh’s Ben Roethlisberger—four quarterbacks clearly in line for new deals this offseason who will determine whether Cousins is an outlier or a trend-setter.

If they do traditional deals, it’s hard to see major change coming about. If they follow the Cousins blueprint, and hold the line, the ground may just move on the way NFL players are paid.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/15/kirk-cousins-contract-quarterbacks-guaranteed-money-mmqb

With as long as it seems to be taking for them to announce the signing as official, I’m leaning towards believing that the $84M dollars isn’t as guaranteed as it sounds.

If it was truly a fully guaranteed contract, it would be an incredibly easy contract to write and sign. This delay makes me wonder if they’re still working on specifics and language in the contract, and if they are, then it’s not going to be a fully guaranteed contract  

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

be in meetings with coaches, getting his due diligence physical exam, and touring the new facilities.

In other words, busy work and killing time while Spielman and McCartney negotiate the fine print of the contract. What’s there to negotiate if a fully guaranteed contract was agreed to?

If the contract was ready to sign this morning, Cousins would have taken his physical and signed it this morning. 

2 hours ago, upriser7 said:

Why do people say it's a big gamble going with Cousins? I can understand the financial angle but for football reasons, I actually think it would have been even bigger gamble if went ahead with Bradford or Teddy or Case, especially considering that we are in a SB window now. 

It's a gamble in the sense that the Vikings will have very little cap room the next three years.

But you are right. From a football standpoint the signing is all about Cousins having a lower perceived floor, rather than any expectation that the QB play they get from him will be a significant improvement over what they got from Case Keenum last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

A little sarcasm can go a long way though!

But seriously time to move past this sensitive crap and get back to football

And no sarcasm can go further!