The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

Cousins two best seasons were under Sean McVay, obviously one of the best up star offensive play callers in the NFL and has already apparently turned around Jared Goff's career  trajectory on the Rams in just one year.  So the guy is good with QBs and can make them look good in a hurry, something I feel he did with Cousins.   And when McVay left this past year he had Matt Cavanaugh as OC the former QB coach under McVay, and I am sure they ran similar stuff to the year previous of course.

Washington picked Kirk Cousins as a backup to Robert Griffin III because of his injury history in college and it was smart to do.  But there is a reason he was a 4th round pick.  He is not that physically impressive, he does not have a great arm but he can get the job done, manage the game and fundamentally does things the right way and plays the game the right way.  He is not however Andrew Luck or Matthew Stafford the only two players in the history of the NFL to get as much guaranteed money as Kirk Cousins.  

Alex Smith for around 17 million a year with incentives.  Yes Washington did not want to pay Kirk and they had to have a good reason for it, and I would take Smith over him as well especially at that price.  Alex is more accurate as a passer and arguably a better leader.  Ryan Fitzpatrick had a similar situation a few years back to Kirk with teams not willing to commit big time dollars to him and had him wait then just let him go.  Cannot say Kirk Cousin's situation is all that different even if he is a little more talented, with Washington not wanting to commit to him and there had to be reasons behind that again.  

In two years this player had 4770 yards which lead the NFL and 4370 yards passing the next year, and had 29-15 TD to INTs and then 24-12 TD to INTs.  Not bad, oh wait that was Matt Schaub in 2009 and 2010 on the Texans.  So not everyone that puts up statistics is this great player, even after he waited his time on Atlanta and had good years for the Texans but no one remembers that now do they.  Hopefully Cousins turns out for the Vikings, but there is no reason to hype his arrival like we are actually getting this super star QB.  Better QB potentially than last year, yes, one of the best in the NFL, no freaking way.  Will be interesting to see if he has not peaked as a pro, I would be shocked to see him take his game to another level and rise past some other QBs to be a top 10 QB in the league.  That would be a shocker to me, not sure he can become much better than what he already has shown.  

But maybe someone can post on where he took his first sh$&%t now that he is in Minnesota, that would be interesting...  

• Like 1

Cousins said the deal “is what it is,” but said that the organization is what excites him about coming to a place he said he expects to spend the rest of his career. While breaking down the steps that led to Minnesota, Cousins’ agent Mike McCartney told a similar story.

McCartney admitted that “it was important for him to surpass Jimmy Garoppolo’s contract,” but said that Cousins didn’t take the biggest offer on the table.

“Two things I kept saying to Kirk,” McCartney said, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press. “Money is important, contract is important but I want you on a daily basis to jump out of bed excited to go to work, to go into a building that has a great culture and a chance to win. But at the same token at the end of the day, I want you to get excited to go home where your wife and family are flourishing and if we can find both of those I think we’ve done our job.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/15/agent-vikings-didnt-offer-cousins-most-money/

8 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I don't think it really should matter who reacted with snarkiness first.  All of us have the ability to respond to snark with thoughtfulness.  Now, I am willing to admit, that I don't always follow my own advice, however, I am determined to improve.

Snarky first is snarky worst.  Good point on 'thoughtfulness'.  I ask for stats and support when someone posts a bold, judgemental claim.  I can find stats, but wonder if others saw stats but  don't share them, or if their opinions are based on 'impressions' from viewing games.  The latter can be biased on the outcome of the game, rather than an individual's performance.  It's ok to post opinions based on impressions.  I hope people would state when they do that, to avoid confusion.   

It will be an interesting sight at the Vikings new team facilities in Eagan this season. Take a stroll through the Vikings players parking lot and you'll see souped up pickups, Mercedes Benz C-Classes, sports cars and pimped out SUVs...then you're going to see a dented 2000 conversion van that is driven by the richest player in the NFL. That's right, Kirk Cousins is assumed to be bringing his 2000 GMC Savanna to Minnesota and drive it as his primary vehicle just as he did in Washington D.C. with the Redskins.

So why does the highest paid player in the league drive an old dented van? Because this man loves his grandma. Kirk bought the 15 year old van from his grandma a few years back because it held sentimental value to him. It was the van that the family used for road trips when he was a kid. 

Cousins: “I gave her five grand for it and she was kind enough to call it a deal. I’ve put a little more into to it, to try and update it a little bit.”

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2018-03-15-kirk-cousins-just-got-paid-heres-why-he-drives-his-grandmas-dented-van/?cmp=managed_social

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

In two years this player had 4770 yards which lead the NFL and 4370 yards passing the next year, and had 29-15 TD to INTs and then 24-12 TD to INTs.  Not bad, oh wait that was Matt Schaub in 2009 and 2010 on the Texans.  So not everyone that puts up statistics is this great player, even after he waited his time on Atlanta and had good years for the Texans but no one remembers that now do they.  Hopefully Cousins turns out for the Vikings, but there is no reason to hype his arrival like we are actually getting this super star QB.  Better QB potentially than last year, yes, one of the best in the NFL, no freaking way.  Will be interesting to see if he has not peaked as a pro, I would be shocked to see him take his game to another level and rise past some other QBs to be a top 10 QB in the league.  That would be a shocker to me, not sure he can become much better than what he already has shown.  

I don't think anyone has ever said that this is a superstar QB.

14 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

It will be an interesting sight at the Vikings new team facilities in Eagan this season. Take a stroll through the Vikings players parking lot and you'll see souped up pickups, Mercedes Benz C-Classes, sports cars and pimped out SUVs...then you're going to see a dented 2000 conversion van that is driven by the richest player in the NFL. That's right, Kirk Cousins is assumed to be bringing his 2000 GMC Savanna to Minnesota and drive it as his primary vehicle just as he did in Washington D.C. with the Redskins.

So why does the highest paid player in the league drive an old dented van? Because this man loves his grandma. Kirk bought the 15 year old van from his grandma a few years back because it held sentimental value to him. It was the van that the family used for road trips when he was a kid. 

Cousins: “I gave her five grand for it and she was kind enough to call it a deal. I’ve put a little more into to it, to try and update it a little bit.”

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2018-03-15-kirk-cousins-just-got-paid-heres-why-he-drives-his-grandmas-dented-van/?cmp=managed_social

Next upgrade, snow tires. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

I ask for stats and support when someone posts a bold, judgemental claim.  I can find stats, but wonder if others saw stats but  don't share them, or if their opinions are based on 'impressions' from viewing games.  The latter can be biased on the outcome of the game, rather than an individual's performance.  It's ok to post opinions based on impressions.  I hope people would state when they do that, to avoid confusion.   

People can post however they like, as long as they fall within forum guidelines. Not everyone has the time or resources to dig up stats on players. It doesn't make their impressions any more biased or any less important, and really shouldn't be that confusing to figure out either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Klomp said:

People can post however they like, as long as they fall within forum guidelines. 

thank you. more and more we are getting posters who insist on others posting in a certain way, or whether new threads should be made at all.

the purpose of the whole site is to have fun talking about football, not writing our doctoral theses.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Hopefully Cousins turns out for the Vikings, but there is no reason to hype his arrival like we are actually getting this super star QB.  Better QB potentially than last year, yes, one of the best in the NFL, no freaking way.

as klomp said, no (rational) vikings fan thinks that cousins is a superstar QB. but he is a top ~15 QB and definitely one of the 20 or so that are unquestionably starting-calibre. 

getting one of those quarterbacks is the #1 goal of every franchise that doesn't have one, and we were lucky enough to nab him. to argue about overpaying him a few million (not you specifically, just in general) doesn't take into account that our alternative was signing keenum, bradford, teddy, mccown or glennon. cousins seems like the easy choice there.

• Like 3