The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

The Jets, sources said, came in with the highest bid, and were willing to give Cousins $30M per year – at least – on a three-year deal, also all fully guaranteed. On Tuesday things began to pick up. Cousins opted to take his first visit with the Vikings and McCartney let the other teams know that was going to be the next step. The Jets, upon learning they weren't getting the first visit, tried to sweeten the pot, saying they would go several million more a year higher, still fully guaranteed.

But by then, in essence, the bidding part of this auction was over, however. The Jets let it be known they might be willing to go higher still, but Cousins was going to start his journey in Minnesota and very likely end it there as well. Would the Jets have gone as high as $100M fully guaranteed on a three-year deal? Quite possibly, sources said. But the process never formally went that far. By Tuesday afternoon the Keenum and Bradford signings were in the bag, and the Jets, now focused on using their first-round pick on a passer, quickly completed deals with McCown and Bridgewater as stop gaps.

Was everyone satisfied with how the process operated? Of course not.

It rankled some in the Broncos front office – who felt like they may have been used a bit – and it certainly left many in the Jets organization frustrated, feeling as if they didn't get their best shot to put forth their best offer. Some there believe Cousins had already made up his mind to go to Minnesota before things formally unfolded on Monday, and that ultimately this was going to be about being able to get McCown back to the Jets, for whom he played expertly in 2017 prior to a season-ending injury. When the stakes are this high and you're talking about a player viewed by numerous teams as a true franchise guy, it's never going to be perfect and some feelings will be hurt. No one wants to lose out in such a public fashion.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kirk-cousins-found-right-fit-for-him-but-not-everyone-happy-with-how-saga-unfolded/

For better or worse, Kirk Cousins is going to be the Vikings QB for a few years. Where would you all rank Cousins amongst his NFC North  starting QB peers? And when considering value?

To me Cousins is the third best QB in the four team division. Factoring in value, he might be fourth out of four. Although, I would rather have Cousins on his current contract than Trubisky on his current contract right now.

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

i think what we need to factor in, is not how good the QB is on his own, but how good he can be with the supporting team, including the defense.

Sure, I would take Cousins over Trubisky on the Vikings current team. Would take Rodgers and Srafford on the Vikings over Cousins. I am wondering how others feel. I assume nobody would take Cousins over Rodgers, but how many would take him over Stafford on the current Vikings team?

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

Sure, I would take Cousins over Trubisky on the Vikings current team. Would take Rodgers and Srafford on the Vikings over Cousins. I am wondering how others feel. I assume nobody would take Cousins over Rodgers, but how many would take him over Stafford on the current Vikings team?

It's close. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

For better or worse, Kirk Cousins is going to be the Vikings QB for a few years. Where would you all rank Cousins amongst his NFC North  starting QB peers? And when considering value?

To me Cousins is the third best QB in the four team division. Factoring in value, he might be fourth out of four. Although, I would rather have Cousins on his current contract than Trubisky on his current contract right now.

I think your ordering reflects my thinking as well.

49 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

As far as I'm concerned, I agree...he's third.  I don't think, even as far as value though, that he's 4th...because the Bears GM got schooled by Lynch.  Trubisky has a long way to go to move up in the division.    And is Mrs. Cousins bringing back the bell-bottoms?

Edited by disaacs
  • Like 1

Third down number and against the blitz number is awesome. 

The discrepency between his pressure and blitz numbers shows someone who knows how to diagnose at the line and find his blitz read / that being said, if he’s wrong, or that’s covered, and he’s pressured chances are it will be a bad play. 

• Like 1

ESPN’s Mike Sando took a look at quarterbacks around the league and considered which ones “stand to benefit from the initial wave of roster activity,” even if the quarterback wasn’t a free agent himself. He said that Cousins, entering his seventh NFL season, will profit in more ways than just the contract he signed. Sando wrote:

"Winning should be easier with the Vikings defense, which has ranked third in ESPN's efficiency metric over the past three seasons (Washington was 22nd). Minnesota's defensive performance since 2015 was good enough for an average team to win about two-thirds of the time, compared to about 45 percent of the time for Washington's defense over the same span."

"A study I produced on quarterbacks after the 2017 season ranked them by how many points they needed to score to win their starts. The median figure was 25 points for Cousins, tied with Andrew Luck and Derek Carr for the most since 2012 among quarterbacks with at least 48 starts over that span. The median was 17 points needed to win for the Vikings quarterbacks last season. Washington scored at least 17 points in 44 of Cousins' 57 starts (77 percent)."

Cousins is also guaranteed to play at least nine games indoors each season, eight in Minnesota and one in Detroit. That is up from one (Dallas) when he was with Washington.

http://www.vikings.com/news/lunch-break/article-1/Lunchbreak-ESPN-Says-Kirk-Cousins-a-Winner-in-Free-Agency-Among-QBs/0c9dd828-1b35-462a-b0c4-d12540094886?sf184767331=1

10 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'd take Kirk Cousins over Matt Stafford.

*ducks for cover*

Im taking Cousins to.  Ive never been a fan of the overhyped Stafford who had Calvin Johnson to throw to most of his career

• Like 2