The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

Glad to have Kirk. Don't care about what he did or didn't do in Washington. Very poorly run organization there. Excited about what he'll be able to do with John Defilippo and the rest of our offensive weapons. Especially throwing to Dalvin out of the backfield. 

• Like 2

According to Mehta, the Jets offered Cousins $30 million per year, $2 million more per year ($6 million total) than the Vikings offered on a three-year deal. Cousins took the lower offer.

Mehta explains that the Jets provided agent Mike McCartney with a deadline on Tuesday, because the Jets were holding up cash that could have gone to other free agents. The Jets also were concerned, per Mehta, that McCartney hoped to ensure that another one of his clients, Josh McCown, would end up back with the Jets. McCown re-signed, on a one-year, $10 million deal.

“There are some folks on One Jets Drive who believe this was all designed to get McCown back as the Jets starter (for now),” Mehta writes. “Perhaps that’s sour grapes, but it is a real sentiment in the building.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/15/report-jets-offered-kirk-cousins-30-million-per-year/

I wonder, as folks have looked at the films available on Cousins, what if any deficiencies they might be seeing in his game?  In other words, what work does he need to do with Stefanski and DeFilippo?  A couple of things that I notice is that he holds onto to his first read to long.  Another, is his general pocket awareness.  While he's billed somewhat as a pocket passer, he seems much more comfortable out on the edges.  Third, his mechanics degrade when there is pressure.  I think if these three areas improve, he will have good production.  He has to work hard on his pocket awareness because the Vikings line is not going to give him completely clean pockets to throw from.  What are some other thoughts??

12 hours ago, Klomp said:

People can post however they like, as long as they fall within forum guidelines. Not everyone has the time or resources to dig up stats on players. It doesn't make their impressions any more biased or any less important, and really shouldn't be that confusing to figure out either.

See my PM to you.

Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins wants to win a Super Bowl, and he thinks he’s in the right place to do so. Cousins said this morning on PFT Live that he had “a long list of reasons” to choose Minnesota over the other places he could have played, but the major reason was that he saw the Vikings as the team that put him in the best place to be the quarterback holding the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season.

Cousins:  “It came down to my desire to win football games. Minnesota appeared to be that fit for a lot of reasons. Ultimately the leadership of the organization is what set it apart.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/16/kirk-cousins-it-came-down-to-my-desire-to-win/

Cousins: “Winning is what I said [free agency] would be all about and it’s true. I came here because of the chance to win. I felt like it was probably the best chance and that’s all that matters in this business. More importantly than that, the chance to win comes from the fact that I believe in the leadership of this organization. There has to be a commitment to win from ownership. The ownership, the general manager, the head coach and the quarterback have to all be on the same page. I feel very good about that dynamic here. Everything rises and falls on leadership and I believe that the leadership here is in place to be able to win a lot of football games.”

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Kirk-Cousins-planned-for-Minnesota-Vikings-and-lifetime-deal-116282242

Edited by vike daddy

4 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I wonder, as folks have looked at the films available on Cousins, what if any deficiencies they might be seeing in his game?  In other words, what work does he need to do with Stefanski and DeFilippo?  A couple of things that I notice is that he holds onto to his first read to long.  Another, is his general pocket awareness.  While he's billed somewhat as a pocket passer, he seems much more comfortable out on the edges.  Third, his mechanics degrade when there is pressure.  I think if these three areas improve, he will have good production.  He has to work hard on his pocket awareness because the Vikings line is not going to give him completely clean pockets to throw from.  What are some other thoughts??

I've previously asked for 'lowlights' vid on players, especially collegiate prospects.  I believe rpmwr19 made the obvious reply that scouts had all the vid they need to make an unbiased judgement on prospects.  The same holds true for scouts and GMs on free agent vets.    The Jets, Vikings, and Broncos had plenty of vids on KC, and probably have insights based on their coaches study of him in the past; e.g. DeFilippo.  Stefanski and DeFilippo are probably aware of what deficiencies exist, and are scheduling 'remedial work' sessions.  What you didn't contemplate is a set of plays / schemes that take advantage of his strengths and how they will work with Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Murray, the OL, etc.  Think positive as well as thinking about correcting the negative! 

1 minute ago, Purplexing said:

I've previously asked for 'lowlights' vid on players, especially collegiate prospects.  I believe rpmwr19 made the obvious reply that scouts had all the vid they need to make an unbiased judgement on prospects.  The same holds true for scouts and GMs on free agent vets.    The Jets, Vikings, and Broncos had plenty of vids on KC, and probably have insights based on their coaches study of him in the past; e.g. DeFilippo.  Stefanski and DeFilippo are probably aware of what deficiencies exist, and are scheduling 'remedial work' sessions.  What you didn't contemplate is a set of plays / schemes that take advantage of his strengths and how they will work with Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Murray, the OL, etc.  Think positive as well as thinking about correcting the negative! 

Hey now...that was positive thinking from me!  I didn't mention the contract once in my post.  Just trying to get the conversation back to football issues rather than business.

28 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I don't agree with the first point on holding on to the first read too long. I think that diagnosing at the line of scrimmage and moving from read to read is a strength of his. He processes the mental side of the game very well. The pocket presence, and fumbling when being hit, are definite areas he needs to work on.

Cousins spent nearly a week in Minnesota in the days leading up to Super Bowl LII knowing that he was likely to become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his NFL career after spending the last two seasons with one-year franchise tags placed on him by the Washington Redskins. Two days into his pre-Super Bowl media tour, the Redskins made it clear they were ready to move on, trading for quarterback Alex Smith. That decision put Cousins’ research into Minnesota in overdrive. He drove past their former headquarters, Winter Park, and their new headquarters that opened 10 days ago, the TCO Performance Center in Eagan. He looked into the housing market and all the things that matter to a husband and father looking to make a move.

Cousins: “I like to prepare and I like to cover my bases and I don’t like to be surprised. The nature of free agency is that you don’t have time when free agency begins to do your research and to take your visits. Things move quickly, as we saw. I did take full advantage the week I was here for Super Bowl week with events. I called Julie near the end of the week and said, ‘Everything is checking the boxes here.’”

He also met with Minnesota Gophers coach P.J. Fleck about leadership and culture-building, talking for about an hour during that bone-chilling week in Minnesota.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Kirk-Cousins-planned-for-Minnesota-Vikings-and-lifetime-deal-116282242

Zimmer:  “We are very, very excited about having Kirk here. I’ve had the opportunity to play against him several times, or coach against him several times, and he’s always been a very, very tough guy to play against. Very, very accurate, excellent at play-actions, terrific in the boots. We’ve done our due diligence with really everything about him. DeFilippo and Stefanski and myself and many other people I’ve had calls from – really all over coaches that have coached him, coached against him, and everyone – has given him tremendous, glowing recommendations.”

“One of the other things I like about him is he is a guy that has always had to prove himself. He’s a lot like a lot of our football team, guys that come in here, work hard. He bet on himself several times and won. Those things are really important to me. He’s always played with a chip on his shoulder so we’re really excited to have him.”

Edited by vike daddy

13 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Glad to have Kirk. Don't care about what he did or didn't do in Washington. Very poorly run organization there. Excited about what he'll be able to do with John Defilippo and the rest of our offensive weapons. Especially throwing to Dalvin out of the backfield. 

Very poorly run?