The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

18 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

It's a team game......I have never understood this concept for an NFL player.

I don't either but it is just funny the media throws that stat around. Someone posted in a different thread that Rodgers is like 2-8 against above .500 teams the last 2 seasons. Yet this narrative only surrounds Cousins. More of a bad joke on my part with the initial post.

The only thing we know for sure is that in most cases the QBs always get more credit for the W's and more blame for the L's. 

I would love to sit down with someone who does the grading for PFF. 

I’m trying to figure out how Cousins gets a grade of 68 for his game at home, against the Packers. And then gets a grade of 86 against Miami. 

I thought Cousins played very well, outside the one obvious play, yesterday. But I thought the game against GB was easily his best game of the year, so far. 

What did he do yesterday that was worth such a difference in grading?

Also, Cousins seem to be rattled for few minutes whenever a big mistake happens, like a Pick6 or a lost fumble...even yesterday he struggled for some time after the pick 6....also it did look like we didn't call playaction for decent chunk of time after that pick6...play action is Cousins strength and something which he excels in, not sure why we didn't go for playaction during that bad stretch in middle, especially when it worked like charm during start of the match

• Like 1

3 hours ago, upriser7 said:

I cannot understand that pick6 play....was that due to miscommunication between QB and receivers or was it a bonehead play or the defender making a smart play?

Watching the replay, I’m in agreement with Pete Bercich’s analysis that Rudolph missed his block. But I also think it was an outstanding, heads up play by the defender. 

I’d like to see the coach’s film view. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm a Kirk supporter. Care to explain this post?

I don’t think it’s directed at one person. Just pointing out the hypocrisy that people use when they have an agenda. 

Some like to call it a great team win, but when the team loses they want to put it on one person. 

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Watching the replay, I’m in agreement with Pete Bercich’s analysis that Rudolph missed his block. But I also think it was an outstanding, heads up play by the defender. 

I’d like to see the coach’s film view. 

yeah...might be I guess...it really looked like a bizarre pick...kind of unusual to other Cousins picks so far this season...most of the Cousins picks came when he was under pressure or some downfield throw which was inaccurate or some tipped interceptions...this one though looked like a pretty casual play and he wasn't even under pressure during that play. There definitely seems to be miscommunication. Looks like a simple screen play which was messed up due to Rudolph mussing his block.

Edited by upriser7

3 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm a Kirk supporter. Care to explain this post?

Just stating how there's probably some Kirk "haters" who want him to fail so much that they will be the first to pin a loss on Kirk rather than a "team loss" and those same people would pin a win on the team rather than a "Kirk win."

Basically giving Kirk all the blame for the bad and and none of the praise for the good.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

If being a hater means I hate the idea of giving a guy who’s a 10-17 QB in the league a 28 million per year, fully guaranteed contract that has no way out for the team, and then watching him play like a 10-17 QB, and turning the ball over more than any other QB in the league, then yeah, I guess I’m a hater. 

Give me Cousins at Keenum money, and I’ll accept the level of his play. Fact is, he’s paid to be Brees/Rodgers/Brady, and he plays like Dalton. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

If being a hater means I hate the idea of giving a guy who’s a 10-17 QB in the league a 28 million per year, fully guaranteed contract that has no way out for the team, and then watching him play like a 10-17 QB, and turning the ball over more than any other QB in the league, then yeah, I guess I’m a hater. 

Give me Cousins at Keenum money, and I’ll accept the level of his play. Fact is, he’s paid to be Brees/Rodgers/Brady, and he plays like Dalton. 

While I would suggest that Cousins is a better QB than Dalton, I agree with your premise.  Personally, I don't hate Kirk Cousins!  He seems to be a great teammate, a hard worker, and someone who doesn't shy away from his leadership role.  He has won over the locker-room at a time when there could have been some anxiety with Case, Teddy and Sam all leaving the team.  My question has always been, what did the coaching staff, scouts, front office see in his play that warranted his contract?  Believe me, I want Cousins to earn every dollar he's being paid.  I think he can limit the turnovers with a good offensive coordinator, a better offensive line, and lots and lots and lots of work put in on better awareness.  I don't expect the Vikings to go far in the playoffs (if indeed they make it.)  I would hope that 2019 will bring the Vikings the Championship!