Packers sign TE Jimmy Graham

marky mark

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Regarding Graham's contract, isn't it true that the first year of Rodger's contract will offer the most relief ? 

Therefore, wouldn't you want to frontload Graham's deal ?

Doesn’t matter too much anymore with the rolling cap. But in theory, yes. In practice, Graham is a risky signing and if he flops, or ages fast ,we don’t have too much commitment. Without looking them up, I bet the Linsley and Adams deals are a bit more front loaded. 

Russ Ball and co have a very specific contract structure they follow. We don’t tend to put fake years on the end of deals like other teams and therefore we don’t front or back load many deals (cough Miami cough Suh). 

Plus  if you assume the cap increases every year you should be fine. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We're really gonna regret signing Jimmy Graham when Rob Gronkowski gets traded for a second round pick. 

eh, I wouldn't want to part with a 2nd rounder for a guy that could hang them up at any point and is injury prone. 

Just now, TheBitzMan said:

eh, I wouldn't want to part with a 2nd rounder for a guy that could hang them up at any point and is injury prone. 

Rob Gronkowski is literally the best tight end to ever play the game and he's three years younger than Jimmy Graham.  I'd trade a (lower than 14) second round pick for him if I knew he was only playing one more year. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Rob Gronkowski is literally the best tight end to ever play the game and he's three years younger than Jimmy Graham.  I'd trade a (lower than 14) second round pick for him if I knew he was only playing one more year. 

I get your point and would obviously rather have Gronk over Graham.  On the flip side Gronk may be 3 years younger but his body has been through hell. I would have a hard time giving up a top 100 pick for him. Our long-term future on defense is more important than a 1-2 year rental of Gronk. 

It's like saying if we signed Allen Robinson and then Antonio Brown got released for us to have a chance to sign. Don't think the Packers are gonna regret it because we didn't know. Unless of course Jimmy Graham stinks it up, then we'll regret signing him.

re·gret
rəˈɡret/
verb
verb: regret; 3rd person present: regrets; past tense: regretted; past participle: regretted; gerund or present participle: regretting
  1. 1.
    feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over (something that has happened or been done, especially a loss or missed opportunity).

Where in the entire definition of regret are you guys getting the definition of regret you're getting?  No, it is not like saying that Robinson/Brown comparison.  No, you do not have to have foreknowledge of things in order for regret to be possible. 

If I'm not mistaken, is the "Gronk" being referred to the same guy thats had so many injury surgeries and concussions that he's considering retirement - from a team thats appeared in quite a few recent Super Bowls? That he's pocketed a boatload of cash and is questioning if its worth it anymore? Is that the same guy?

"Staring thru the windshield up at the 'Trade For Gronk' street sign....with a feeling of unease and uncertainty.  Why am I thinking I've recently been down that street and it might not be the best way to my destination? Why do I feel this way? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................................"

50 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Won't trade a 4th for OBJ, would trade a 2nd for a guy to play one year and turn into a wrestler. Makes sense...

Wants to trade Aaron Rodgers because defense wins championships, wants to trade a top 50 pick for a tight end.

I'll pass on both, I'll take Graham for no draft compensation please and use those picks to build a defense.

I would love to see Gronk here, with Graham.  That would be amazing to see.  Certainly worth a second round pick to get it done.

I have no doubt that he would have a longer career somewhere else where he can be himself and have more fun.  Maybe that place is GB, but certainly that place is away from BB.

And..I"m a huge WWE fan, I'm wondering if he makes another WrestleMania appearance on Sunday...  :)

Archived