Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

Broncos backup quarterback Chad Kelly is in trouble with the law. Kelly was charged early this morning with first-degree criminal trespassing in Englewood, Colorado, according to local police. He was taken to the county jail. It is unclear where he is now. Police say Kelly went into a residence without permission, was chased out of the residence, and was later pursued by police.

The 24-year-old Kelly has a history of off-field issues, which is one of the reasons he lasted until the final pick of the 2017 NFL draft. He was kicked off the team at Clemson in April of 2014, and eight months later he was arrested after a bar fight in Buffalo, where his uncle Jim Kelly was a Hall of Fame quarterback. He later transferred to East Mississippi Community College (of Last Chance U fame) and then transferred to Ole Miss.

There’s been talk that Kelly could replace the struggling starter Case Keenum in Denver, but questions about Kelly’s maturity have been among the reasons the Broncos preferred an older veteran. This latest incident will do nothing to erase those questions.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/23/broncos-chad-kelly-charged-with-criminal-trespassing/

• 2 weeks later...

Sam Bradford, the quarterback who got a whopping $15 million guaranteed this offseason, has been released by the Cardinals today.

Cutting Bradford now helps the Cardinals in the NFL’s complex compensatory pick equation, and hurts the Vikings, who will no longer benefit from having Bradford signed away.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/03/cardinals-cut-sam-bradford/

Edited by vike daddy

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

So Cousins addition will now cancel out losing Keenum?

As things stand now that would be correct. We'll know later today whether anyone claimed Bradford. His salary is pretty reasonable and there are teams that could use a QB. Also, a team might want him if they are expecting a net loss of compensatory free agents after this year and see Bradford as a guy other teams would sign to a contract that would earn them a pick.

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Jacksonville would be fools to not try and claim Bradford. 

So, I don’t expect him to get claimed. 

Both Buffalo and Jacksonville should consider claiming him...or at least picking him up after he clears....but of course they won't...because they're Buffalo and Jacksonville.

46 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Both Buffalo and Jacksonville should consider claiming him...or at least picking him up after he clears....but of course they won't...because they're Buffalo and Jacksonville.

If you're Jacksonville, why bother. Bortles is probably better for them this year anyway. 

Bradford to Buffalo makes sense if the goal is to keep Allen on the bench this year.

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If you're Jacksonville, why bother. Bortles is probably better for them this year anyway. 

Bradford to Buffalo makes sense if the goal is to keep Allen on the bench this year.

Given Bradford’s ability to pick things up quickly, as he showed after the trade to Minnesota, he’s 1000x better than Bortles. 

Bradford may not be able to be a true playmaker, but one thing he won’t do is play stupid and commit and endless string of bad turnovers. Bottles is a liability that’s going to prevent one of the more talented rosters to miss the playoffs. 

Plus, even if Bortles continues to start, Bradford is a much better backup and insurance plan than Cody Kessler. 

Edited by SemperFeist

15 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Bradford wouldn't hand the ball off to the other team as frequently as Bortles does.  

20 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Which has already been passed up. I don't think they sit him when he's fully healthy. They have to start looking to the future. That ain't Bradford. 

12 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Which has already been passed up. I don't think they sit him when he's fully healthy. They have to start looking to the future. That ain't Bradford. 

If I was running the Bills I am was looking to the future I would start anyone but Josh Allen this year -- even if that means throwing Nathan Peterman in there to run that offense. I would be very concerned that putting any young QB into that offense would ruin the QB. Out of concern for a young QB that I had hope for in the future I would keep him off the field. No young QB can develop good habits playing with that garbage offense.

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If I was running the Bills I am was looking to the future I would start anyone but Josh Allen this year -- even if that means throwing Nathan Peterman in there to run that offense. I would be very concerned that putting any young QB into that offense would ruin the QB. Out of concern for a young QB that I had hope for in the future I would keep him off the field. No young QB can develop good habits playing with that garbage offense.

He's already been on the field and in that offense though, so doesn't that go out the window?

Just now, Klomp said:

He's already been on the field and in that offense though, so doesn't that go out the window?

Not for me. He saw what it is like but habits become further entrenched with more repetitions. It is very hard to form decent habits in an offense like that. Putting a kid back there is not giving the kid his best chance to succeed IMO.

• Like 2