Who have been the winners and losers of free agency?

JAF-N72EX

7 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The Vikings are the biggest winners. They upgraded at QB with an already great roster.

No other moves or set of moves should be expected to have the same impact 

Personally I'm not convinced that Cousins will do more than what Keenum did for them last season.  Yes Cousins is the better QB, but they didn't really lose because of Keenum or Bradford, they lost in spite of them, Keenum played extremely well.   Plus they locked up so much money that their roster will suffer over the next 3 seasons because of that massive cap hit.

3 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Personally I'm not convinced that Cousins will do more than what Keenum did for them last season.  Yes Cousins is the better QB, but they didn't really lose because of Keenum or Bradford, they lost in spite of them, Keenum played extremely well.   Plus they locked up so much money that their roster will suffer over the next 3 seasons because of that massive cap hit.

Depends how serious a hurdle you think a QB taking up 15-16% of your cap space is. I obviously think it's NBD.

30 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

The loss in the NFCCG was as much Keenum’s fault as anyone else’s. Dude couldn’t complete a pass beyond the line of scrimmage in that game.

Generally speaking, Keemun did have good outcomes last year. But his 2017 performances are almost surely not going to be repeated this year (even if he stayed in Minni). He got incredibly lucky on so many 15-yard rainbow throws. Those throws will start getting intercepted this year.

In the end, as far as the 2018 regular season goes, it will be hard for Minnesota to replicate the success of 2017. That’s just how it is for every high achieving team. Yet anyone thinking we’d have been better off this year with Keemun (even at his contract) are wrong.

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

I agree that I don't know how much better in terms of ceiling that they are with Cousins over the way Keenum played last year. I think the addition of Cousins mitigates risk and increases their floor, but maybe not necessarily the ceiling given when only accounting for the way that Keenum played last year. They don't have to worry about Cousins turning into the Keenum we knew before last season. There is a slight uptick in ceiling, I think, but not as much as people want to believe. 

10 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

They could have bid strong at the likes of Watkins / Robinson. They are desperate, their WRs are so bad surely you just accept that you might have to be pay too much but finally get a WR1 for the first time in years

Watkins is not a WR1 at this point in his career. He's got the potential to be that guy, but he was the Rams 4th leading receiver last year. Hard to call him a WR1.

Robinson is a WR1 to me though. That being said, I don't think Baltimore has the cap space to be tossing money around in FA for a top 5 FA $$$ recipient.

1 hour ago, Duluther said:

The loss in the NFCCG was as much Keenum’s fault as anyone else’s. Dude couldn’t complete a pass beyond the line of scrimmage in that game.

Generally speaking, Keemun did have good outcomes last year. But his 2017 performances are almost surely not going to be repeated this year (even if he stayed in Minni). He got incredibly lucky on so many 15-yard rainbow throws. Those throws will start getting intercepted this year.

In the end, as far as the 2018 regular season goes, it will be hard for Minnesota to replicate the success of 2017. That’s just how it is for every high achieving team. Yet anyone thinking we’d have been better off this year with Keemun (even at his contract) are wrong.

On top of that, its probably not likely that the Vikings defense will be historically good on 3rd down either. Going with Keenum to save 10mil in cap space for 1-2 players works if you assume that everything continues to break right, no one regresses(especially Keenum), none of the big resign players gets hurt and cut anyways etc... I do think Cousins is an absolute upgrade so I can understand why some might not like it if they don't but most fans/media always view roster constructions purely in terms of maximum upside and fail to really account for how much variation happens year to year.

8 hours ago, Malik said:

Colts are easily the biggest losers. They actually have a pretty decent size of cap space + a ton of wholes but have decided to do NOTHING all free agency.

Ballard quote

”We’re not going to pay Type ‘A’ money to Type ‘B’ players. 

They have reached out to a few players, scheduled visits with Ryan Jensen, Justin Pugh and Eric Ebron. 

Not only are there people in this thread calling players and agents the winners of free agency. It makes you wonder how a team that didn’t get snookered in by all this could be called a loser. 

Honestly I liked what the Jags did. Not a fan of Bortles and they lost *Robinson, but I love their commitment to the trenches and a power running game. Hope their styles suit them well and perhaps win a SB. It’d be great to see teams follow suit.

* A-Rob is great, but there was bad blood and he didn’t fit their identity going forward.

4 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

The difference's are that Cousins has the ability to win a game by himself, has a strong arm and has proven he can maintain a minimum of what Case did this year over the past 3 years.

Proven consistent production + higher ceiling makes it a great move. 

8 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

The difference's are that Cousins has the ability to win a game by himself, has a strong arm and has proven he can maintain a minimum of what Case did this year over the past 3 years.

Proven consistent production + higher ceiling makes it a great move. 

I think my actual problem with the signing has been misinterpreted.  I do like Kirk Cousins, and think he's a good QB.  I do also think that Case did a great job as your QB, but overall Cousins is undoubtedly the better of the two.  That being said, I do NOT think he's going to win games for you "by himself."  He certainly didn't manage that in Washington, his 3 seasons as a full time starter he is 24-23-1.  He is not a Brady or Manning type player who is going to elevate the team on his own.  My opinion is that he could certainly be a super bowl winning QB with the right surrounding cast, which currently he does have.  That being said, that contract is massive and his cap hit is going to be felt down the line as young players continue to develop and need to be resigned, extended, or for addressing needs in free agency.  That will definitely hamper the supporting cast for him, so I view this as a good move for next season, but they will need to find a way to renegotiate down the line if they want sustained success.  

13 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Honestly I liked what the Jags did. Not a fan of Bortles and they lost *Robinson, but I love their commitment to the trenches and a power running game. Hope their styles suit them well and perhaps win a SB. It’d be great to see teams follow suit.

* A-Rob is great, but there was bad blood and he didn’t fit their identity going forward.

Bad blood?  Can you elaborate?   All I've seen was that he had great character but felt that he had better opportunities elsewhere.  I didn't think there were any hard feelings, and I didn't think that AR-12 (lol) and Jacksonville were butting heads in any way.

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I think my actual problem with the signing has been misinterpreted.  I do like Kirk Cousins, and think he's a good QB.  I do also think that Case did a great job as your QB, but overall Cousins is undoubtedly the better of the two.  That being said, I do NOT think he's going to win games for you "by himself."  He certainly didn't manage that in Washington, his 3 seasons as a full time starter he is 24-23-1.  He is not a Brady or Manning type player who is going to elevate the team on his own.  My opinion is that he could certainly be a super bowl winning QB with the right surrounding cast, which currently he does have.  That being said, that contract is massive and his cap hit is going to be felt down the line as young players continue to develop and need to be resigned, extended, or for addressing needs in free agency.  That will definitely hamper the supporting cast for him, so I view this as a good move for next season, but they will need to find a way to renegotiate down the line if they want sustained success.  

By "win by himself" I mean he has the ability to carry an offense if need be. I don't think it's completely fair to say Cousins can't do it because of the team record. In the last 3 years since he's become the starter his defense has given up on average 30+ ppg in losses. Just think about how high of a number that is.

As far as the contract and retaining future players, I don't think it will be nearly as big of a deal as people are thinking. There's been a few articles detailing how we can keep a bunch of our young guys.

@TankWilliams

I just skimmed through the A-Rob thread in the Jags forum to validate what I remember seeing (A-Rob tweeting really negative things about Jacksonville), but I can’t seem to find the tweets. Perhaps a Jags fan could elaborate.

I know I’ve seen said tweets, but my apologies if they don’t wholly reflect A-Rob’s relationship with Jacksonville. I should have checked for the tweets before making the claim.

24 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Bad blood?  Can you elaborate?   All I've seen was that he had great character but felt that he had better opportunities elsewhere.  I didn't think there were any hard feelings, and I didn't think that AR-12 (lol) and Jacksonville were butting heads in any way.

AR15..

Also he has been a great player for us with no bad blood or anything 

Archived