Who have been the winners and losers of free agency?

JAF-N72EX

Since FA was nearly over before it even officially began and the pool was pretty dried up by Wed, I figured that this would be a good time to get different people's views and thoughts on all of the recent transactions. Keep in mind, there are still trades that may happen. 

To keep it simple. Who were the winners and losers of free agency? Which teams do you think made the most of it and which teams do you think do not? 

I generally don't like to starting threads asking other peoples opinions without giving my own first. But it's late right now and with so much action within the last 4 days it's been hard to keep up on everything so I need some time to go back and kind of refresh my memory a little before I give my thoughts on it. 

I will, however, say that the Eagles front-7 is going to dangerous (as if it weren't already) and I also like the Rams as well. What do you think?

I would count the Bills as a winner.

They got excellent trade value for Tyrod, made good use of Glenn in the trade up for a QB, and in free agency itself they addressed the huge need on the D line.

They didn't get sucked in to paying too much for a bridge QB like the Broncos. They had patience and played the situation well to get a serviceable bridge / backup on the right sort of backup money and much less than people generally expected. In addition they reduced significantly the number of the draft needs at sensible prices (CB / S / RB). They have appear to have a had a plan

Losers have to be the Patriots. Theyre letting Free Agents walk out the door and haven't replacement them thus far. Plus the holes heading into the off season haven't been filled. Everyone tends to give them a free pass because they're the Patriots and BB is perceived as a genius but I wouldn't be optimistic if I were a Pat's fan. However, Edelman and Hightower returning will allow them to make another deep playoff run.

Rams had an impactful FA. They wanted to transition to the Wade Phillips defense and they are doing so. Tagging Joyner, trading for both Peters and Talib then signing Shields and resigning NRC makes the secondary scary good and deep Wade now has the front with Donald and Brockers to match the back end so he can be creative and use whomever the linebackers will be to continuously be agressive and blitz all day because Wade knows nobody will have great success throwing the ball on the Rams. So the Rams are winners.

The Cardinals are losers. They didn’t have a clear plan to address their QB situation and it showed. They have settled for Bradford and Glennon. As a result they had to part ways with an impactful young defensive player in Mathieu. So their defense takes a hit while I’m not sold they found their QB. Oh and they aren’t picking high enough in the draft to get one of those top tier QBs unless they trade up.

3 hours ago, Eagles23 said:

Losers have to be the Patriots. Theyre letting Free Agents walk out the door and haven't replacement them thus far. Plus the holes heading into the off season haven't been filled. Everyone tends to give them a free pass because they're the Patriots and BB is perceived as a genius but I wouldn't be optimistic if I were a Pat's fan. However, Edelman and Hightower returning will allow them to make another deep playoff run.

The Ravens are by far the biggest losers so far. They've seem to have lost the OC, they didn't get any of the receivers or tight ends they initially pursued and instead the panicked and overpayed two wide receivers.

14 minutes ago, Danand said:

The Ravens are by far the biggest losers so far. They've seem to have lost the OC, they didn't get any of the receivers or tight ends they initially pursued and instead the panicked and overpayed two wide receivers.

For players, if you aren't the top dog, one lesson that's demonstrated each year - sign early.    The guys who sign earliest who aren't the top dog at their position usually do better than those who sign later.   Top dogs will still get paid, those in the next tier need to strike when the market is hot.   

In that vein, player-wise, Albert Wilson definitely gets a big W in the column here.   So does Ryan Grant.   

For teams, if you miss out on your targets - don't panic.   Or at least, don't panic on guys with no ceiling.   Sadly, DEN didn't follow that lesson with Todd Davis (a guy who would help a team who only need a run stopper...but on our D, it's a massive liability to have a guy who can't cover).     BAL with Ryan Grant's contract certainly fits there. 

The big winners are the teams that got to address needs enough to truly be difference-makers in contention.   The LA Rams overhauling their D to fit Wade Phillips' scheme AND staying cap healthy with the deals shedding salary?  Amazing.   MIN getting Cousins being a truly complete team, have to include them here, plus they got a 2M backup for pretty much free in Siemian (who's nothing more than a backup, but ppl are paying a lot more to get them in FA).   I've said it before - the NFC is loaded at the top.   On the AFC side, they haven't got their QB yet, but BUF getting 3.1 and moving from 1.21 to 1.12 by trading away guys they wanted to part ways with?  Normally, it's a straight salary dump.  Then they get a big DL upgrade with Star Lotulelei?  Wow, major marks to Beane there.  That's a team on the rise.

The other teams that have won - those rebuilders who stayed young.    SF overpaid for McKinnon, but they got OL and pass catching RB help for guys that are more likely to be at their peak during their guaranteed years.   That's a huge plus.    They didn't do what BUF did, but of all the rebuilding teams, BUF & SF are who I love their direction right now.

Sometimes you don't need to be a big player in FA early to be a winner.   The LA Chargers watched us stand pat with our ILB selection, settle for a decent stopgap, but still a stopgap.  They watched the Chiefs spend most of their FA $ on Sammy Watkins, and leave the D upgrades to Anthony Hitchens, and not on more pass rush (Ford & Jones are still there but depth is a huge component to bringing heat, and Houston's now in his decline phase).   OAK lost all their CB's except Gareon Conley.     LAC's chances to win the AFCW got better without having to upgrade yet (although run-stopping DT with inside push and better LB play are their needs, they can address at least 1 easily in the draft).   

One disclaimer to all the above though - it's still early, now we're starting the value part of FA.   And while this is less publicized time and the signings won't gather as much attention, but this is where the best GM's earn their $.    More likely to see difference-making deals because the deals here are very reasonable going forward if you find above average play.  Lots of fun so far!

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Winners: GB, LA, Minny, Chicago, Philly, Buffalo, Browns, SF

Losers: Washington, Arizona, new england, Jets, Seattle

Off the top of my head

As far as Washington, as this is my team, it remains to be seen. We certainly aren't winners, I agree.

If Kirk does lead the Vikes far, then it's a mistake. If not, and Smith does well, then it's a wash. The only person, based on contract, that I am upset about leaving is Breeland. Otherwise, the Ravens can absolutely have Ryan Grant at that price. Murphy too. 

27 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I can't complain about what we've (not) done so far. But I wouldn't count us as free agency winners.

I agree ... some I think are neutral... bucs fall into neutral for me.

Neutral = TB, DAL, MIA, PIT, JAC, DEN, OAK, LAC, DET, ATL, NYG

Maybe add CAR to "Loser" and maybe add TEN to "Winner"

(Again off the top of my head)

Hard to say about the Lions. They've lost out on some of their targets, but considering the money some of those guys have gotten, maybe they haven't lost out as much as decided to go with lower priced options, and that might turn out to be smart. The best thing I can say is that what they're doing shows clear signs of having a plan that follows what we know about Patricia. If that turns out to be a winning plan, the Lions are doing very well in free agency.

Archived