BAZINGA! Sheldon is ours! (1 yr, $11 mil, p. 11)

vike daddy

Zimmer: Sheldon is the 13th player picked in the 2013 draft and was the rookie of the year. He’s a guy that has all the traits we’re looking for. He has strength and size and quickness. We felt like he was disruptive getting the quarterback off his spot, but we feel like we can help him a little bit more with the pass rush and some things we do. “Also [defensive line coach] Andre Patterson does a great job with defensive linemen in the pass rush. I think he can use his hands better. I think there are some things we can teach him to try and make him continue to get better. But the biggest thing is he has all the traits we’re looking for. He has quickness. He can run. He has strength. He just didn’t finish on the quarterback very well, which we feel we can help him with a lot.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-discover-with-kirk-cousins-and-sheldon-richardson-that-talent-draws-talent/477700073/

On 3/20/2018 at 1:24 PM, milanb said:

I like this signing a lot more than I like the Kirk Cousins deal.

Brzezinski is not likely to have budgeted $ to re-sign him after Diggs, Barr, .... free agents in 2019.  I like his potential to contribute in 2018.  But, what's to like about his future? 

16 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Brzezinski is not likely to have budgeted $ to re-sign him after Diggs, Barr, .... free agents in 2019.  I like his potential to contribute in 2018.  But, what's to like about his future? 

They might have if they had a budget for Floyd being a long term contributor. 

Who really knows also. This could really be just a really good “stopgap” 3-tech for the future. 

Someone like Nathan Shepard is very raw, give him a year to get the Danielle Hunter treatment and just gain time as a pass rusher and sit back and learn for a year. 

Not that I am a huge “comp pick” guy but If Sheldon does do very well as we all expect, the signing was basically a free 3rd round pick.

This was a damn good signing for this team any way you look at it even if we can retain him past this year.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Would have lost out on Rhodes in that scenario. 

Yes we would have, but we would have had our interior disruption - can help negate the need for a top flight corner and helps more in the run game. 

32 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Yes we would have, but we would have had our interior disruption - can help negate the need for a top flight corner and helps more in the run game. 

Could have just taken Kawann Short.  I never was a fan of Floyd or Sylvester Williams.  I couldn't believe Short and Hankins fell like they did.  2013 was a good class for DT's.  Even Brandon Williams went in the 3rd round.

7 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

They might have if they had a budget for Floyd being a long term contributor. 

Any budgeted amount would have instantaneously been reversed after the medical report on S. Floyd was available to Spielman and Brzezinski.  They knew almost a year ago, IIRC.

28 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Any budgeted amount would have instantaneously been reversed after the medical report on S. Floyd was available to Spielman and Brzezinski.  They knew almost a year ago, IIRC.

I disagree. Just because it wasn't slotted to Floyd anymore doesn't mean they would've totally taken the number away from that position group. We just saw evidence of that at the QB position. They didn't just decide not to pay a franchise QB because Teddy got hurt in 2016.

I believe 3-tech has far greater importance to Zimmer's defense than linebacker does, when it comes to who gets the biggest paychecks. Especially two linebackers. Maybe they'll re-sign one, but I can't see both back on new contracts unless one is a major discount. I'd also argue that WR will be one of the more lower-budgeted positions, though I'm not as clear about that one.

Archived