Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

16 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Fatal freaking flaw is when you said "We've done this with...." I thought that's why we changed DC's. I don't want to operate the same way we have been on defense. It hasn't been working. Play your best players. Idgaf if they have played 10 years or 10 snaps in the NFL. I'm just annoyed that the young guys are getting passed up for older guys just because.

You're bucking what's been done for 100 years. Until the talent lean is obvious, coaches are going to go with the experienced guy every time. Pettine has said that they install something for everyone, even if it's a small package, so everyone feels like a starter and stays engaged. The cream will rise to the top, but it's only been 2 weeks.

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You're bucking what's been done for 100 years. Until the talent lean is obvious, coaches are going to go with the experienced guy every time. Pettine has said that they install something for everyone, even if it's a small package, so everyone feels like a starter and stays engaged. The cream will rise to the top, but it's only been 2 weeks.

I think 3 catches for 6 yards vs 6 for 122 and 2 TDs is pretty clear.

From PackersNews

"Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine had as much reason as anyone to be upset with Clay Matthews’ controversial roughing-the-passer penalty last week, but he took issue more with what happened next.  “My biggest issue with the whole thing,” Pettine said, “is how we responded to it. We gave up probably 12, 13 completions after it, well over 100 yards passing, a touchdown. We didn’t handle the adversity well.”

“That’s the frustrating thing and that’s the thing we addressed in in our room and it’s something that moving forward that we need to handle adversity like that better.”

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

This is why I think fans and media have been too focused on Perry and Matthews sack numbers - we aren't in a Capers style 3-4 anymore.

Bowen breaks it down great- Matthews drop on that play is as valuable as a sack- it gets cousins to hold long enough that the designated rushers can get there.

Grading the pass rush this year is going to be about a lot more than sacks by 52 and 53.

Thanks for a great post Shanedorf!

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

This is why I think fans and media have been too focused on Perry and Matthews sack numbers - we aren't in a Capers style 3-4 anymore.

Bowen breaks it down great- Matthews drop on that play is as valuable as a sack- it gets cousins to hold long enough that the designated rushers can get there.

Grading the pass rush this year is going to be about a lot more than sacks by 52 and 53.

Thanks for a great post Shanedorf!

Maybe, but let's not act like Perry's and Matthews' play thru 2 games hasnt been much better than piss poor because it hasn't. If Perry didn't dress last week he would have had pretty much the same impact as he actually did and Matthews the same way against the Bears. Those guys make way too much money not to be more impactful than they have been so far. They need to be better, not just in terms of sack numbers, but pressures and just overall play in general. Hopefully it starts Sunday.

23 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Pettine's defense seems to adjust well at the half so far this year. The first halves really sucked though.

This game was the worst. The Bears game was misleading because our defense only gave up 10 points at half, the other 7 was Mack. Then only 3 in the 2nd half. 

Against Minn we played solid D for 3 quarters and then had a Capers-esque meltdown for 22 points in the 4th quarter. 

Wash we gave up 28 first half points to a mediocre offense. Then played two solid quarters to finish. 

Basically from the 4th quarter of Minny thru the first half of today, our defense was God awful outside of 2 ints by Dix.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Pettine's defense seems to adjust well at the half so far this year. The first halves really sucked though.

I wonder if it has anything to do with playing three effectively brand new offenses? Although our first half was obviously much better than our second against Minnesota.

14 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with playing three effectively brand new offenses? Although our first half was obviously much better than our second against Minnesota.

I think it was more about fans having unrealistic expectations for this year. They built Pettine into some sort of instant savior in their heads due to the scapegoating of Capers. Even if Pettine is an improvement, the roster needs building up after years of drafting at the bottom. And the rookies need time to develop. 

15 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I think it was more about fans having unrealistic expectations for this year. They built Pettine into some sort of instant savior in their heads due to the scapegoating of Capers. Even if Pettine is an improvement, the roster needs building up after years of drafting at the bottom. And the rookies need time to develop. 

Dom came right in and catapulted our defense to top 10. Usually the first season is one where you can use the lack of film as a way of deception. 

Major problem to me, we don't have a single front 7 player who gets to the QB. I don't think any DC in the NFL can survive that. I can't throw a ton of blame toward Gute either, he would've had to force a reach somewhere in the draft or sit and take Davenport who I'm not sure they liked. This is a reflection of Ted's inability to acquire pass rushers. He fell in love with the type of player Matthews came into the league as, coveted the same type of thing drafting Fackrell and Biegel and they just are flat out too weak to play EDGE in the NFL. Both are off ball LBs. He had no replacement for Jones, Peppers or Neal and let them go anyway. The cupboard there is insanely bare. Every week the pressure is on the secondary to cover for 4-5 seconds and Pettine to disguise some blitz to bail out our rush.

8 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Dom came right in and catapulted our defense to top 10. Usually the first season is one where you can use the lack of film as a way of deception. Major problem to me, we don't have a single front 7 player who gets to the QB. I don't think any DC in the NFL can survive that. I can't throw a ton of blame toward Gute either, he would've had to force a reach somewhere in the draft or sit and take Davenport who I'm not sure they liked. This is a reflection of Ted's inability to acquire pass rushers. He fell in love with the type of player Matthews came into the league as, coveted the same type of thing drafting Fackrell and Biegel and they just are flat out too weak to play EDGE in the NFL. Both are off ball LBs. He had no replacement for Jones, Peppers or Neal and let them go anyway. The cupboard there is insanely bare. Every week the pressure is on the secondary to cover for 4-5 seconds and Pettine to disguise some blitz to bail out our rush.

Major problem to me, we don't have a single front 7 player who gets to the QB   -   this is true and troubling cause losing Wilkerson will hurt and its almost impossible to correct at this stage.

This is a reflection of Ted's inability to acquire pass rushers. He had no replacement for Jones, Peppers or Neal and let them go anyway.   -   this is true and has been troubling.

The cupboard there is insanely bare   -   this is both borderline frightening and aggravating at the same time.

It's early. Too early for despair - but there are structural issues with our roster that are problematic at best.

In addition to the above D issues - our QB - our season - is hobbling around and one wrong tackle or hit or landing wrong from getting pushed over the edge into time lost.

Our RT is a band aid player who cant be counted on to stay healthy. He's good when he's upright - no question - but after every play you check to make sure he's one of the bodies getting up - and NOBODY - trusts his backup (Spriggs) at this stage. Or if they do - theres no good reason they should.

We're thin.

It's early but for some reason it feels like we're on the edge.

Archived