Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

14 hours ago, HighCalebR said:
This is a fun play. and also probably a reason why Kyler is still on roster, juuuust in case Clay goes down (lulz). Made two OL useless plugs. I think I might love Pettine.

i mean, based on what i saw sunday night, Kyler might be less of a liability as a player then CM3 right now. & thats f'ing terrifying to think about

From The Athletic:

"There were 24 snaps when the Packers used three defensive linemen and 17 snaps when they had only one. There were nine snaps when Pettine used four defensive backs and 17 snaps when he saturated the field with seven. He relied on a single inside linebacker 84% of the time.

“We have a variety of sub groupings,” Pettine said Thursday afternoon. “We have our sub grouping, a sonic grouping, a turbo grouping, a speed grouping. Sometimes it might be the same number of players from certain position rooms, but (each package) will sometimes be player-specific. Like if there’s a third safety then it will be called something different than if it’s a (third) corner.”

More from The Athletic on Pettine Defense

"....what Pettine did on 34% of snaps against the Bears was fuse those two concepts in what Martinez jokingly called a sub-base formation. Pettine deployed three defensive linemen and two edge rushers at the line of scrimmage with one inside linebacker and five defensive backs behind them. The personnel grouping is known to coaches as a 3-3-5 alignment, but to viewers it looks more like 5-1-5 with Martinez alone in the middle of the field.

It’s a base look up front and a nickel look in the secondary "

Archived