Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

4 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

#Packers DC Mike Pettine talking up LB Ahmad Thomas: "He's an explosive athlete. That's what you need in the NFL to play defense. The movement skills and explosiveness trump the bulk size you're looking for. You look for guys who are hybrid-safety types...He's a perfect example."

He's got to make the roster, No?

Raven Green is another guy who has gotten some press.  Dude is jacked, too.  Probably a PS guy, but worth keeping tabs on.

10 minutes ago, Cheech said:

He's got to make the roster, No?

Raven Green is another guy who has gotten some press.  Dude is jacked, too.  Probably a PS guy, but worth keeping tabs on.

Yes, Thomas must make the roster or nothing else matters.

But when the brand new defensive coordinator says today (4 days before cutdown day) that Thomas is ...

"an explosive athlete. That's what you need in the NFL to play defense. The movement skills and explosiveness trump the bulk size you're looking for in the new era linebacker. You look for guys who are hybrid-safety types ...  He's a perfect example."

You got to figure he has a better chance to stick than Martini, no?

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Here is a good look at a Pettine pressure and a freaking beautiful hit by Kentrell Brice. Violent and 100% legal. Only gray area is the whole body weight thing they're adding with QBs but I doubt we see a lot of 190lb DBs get flagged for that.

Nice play, terrible read by the back.

Also we rushed 6 including a Safety, how is that not sacrificing coverage Ben Fennell?

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Also we rushed 6 including a Safety, how is that not sacrificing coverage Ben Fennell?

Nah, Brice was lined up in coverage.  That was a great disguise.  

For the last 5 years we've watched 5 or 6 defensive players run straight at linemen in hopes of getting to the QB, only to have the blitzes picked up.  Not only did our front 7 not get home, but the secondary was usually jacking up coverage or still making adjustments after the freaking snap.  

This is a breath of fresh air.

22 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Nah, Brice was lined up in coverage.  That was a great disguise.  

For the last 5 years we've watched 5 or 6 defensive players run straight at linemen in hopes of getting to the QB, only to have the blitzes picked up.  Not only did our front 7 not get home, but the secondary was usually jacking up coverage or still making adjustments after the freaking snap.  

This is a breath of fresh air.

Capers would stunt both sides of his Dline every 3rd down for forever. I'll bet he did it on more than 50% of third downs last year if you went back and looked at it.

I'm not even disputing that it wasn't effective, but to say that guys always rushed straight at a gap is just factually incorrect. If anything the excessive stunting became predictable.

Brice can be lined in coverage all he wants. By definition you're giving up something in coverage if you bring 6 god damn rushers. That's not something that Capers didn't do either. He loved blitzing that slot DB almost as much as he loved stunting. 

This is nothing new. It's a standard NFL blitz that 100% of NFL (and 85% of college) coordinators run. 

I get we're excited about Pettine but a standard blitz that a scrub tier RB and QB teamed up to misdiagnose isn't something people should be losing their shorts over. 

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I questioned that too... with the not sacrificing coverage comment I was going to thinking there would be less rushers.

But maybe he thought 6 rushers against 7 people was not sacrificing coverage? I'm not sure.

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Capers would stunt both sides of his Dline every 3rd down for forever. I'll bet he did it on more than 50% of third downs last year if you went back and looked at it.

I'm not even disputing that it wasn't effective, but to say that guys always rushed straight at a gap is just factually incorrect. If anything the excessive stunting became predictable.

Brice can be lined in coverage all he wants. By definition you're giving up something in coverage if you bring 6 god damn rushers. That's not something that Capers didn't do either. He loved blitzing that slot DB almost as much as he loved stunting. 

This is nothing new. It's a standard NFL blitz that 100% of NFL (and 85% of college) coordinators run. 

I get we're excited about Pettine but a standard blitz that a scrub tier RB and QB teamed up to misdiagnose isn't something people should be losing their shorts over. 

Yes, the last 2 years stunting was a thing DC tried as well.  The point I was trying to make was that his blitzing was way too predictable and his coverage was a mess.  

Capers blitzes relied on pass rushers to beat the guy in front of him.  Kinda similar to the Iso route offense.  For the last few years neither group has had enough pure talent to get the job on a consistent basis.

I like the idea of scheming a free rusher just as much as I like combo routes that are hard to defend.  

12 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Yes, the last 2 years stunting was a thing DC tried as well.  The point I was trying to make was that his blitzing was way too predictable and his coverage was a mess.  

Capers blitzes relied on pass rushers to beat the guy in front of him.  Kinda similar to the Iso route offense.  For the last few years neither group has had enough pure talent to get the job on a consistent basis.

I like the idea of scheming a free rusher just as much as I like combo routes that are hard to defend.  

Everybody likes the idea of scheming a free rusher. It's just extremely difficult to do against non scrubs in the regular season.

It's entirely dependant on an offensive player making the wrong read. A good back makes the correct read on that play and picks up Brice, and we're all screaming and upset about how the middle of the field is open. There is no play called "free rusher". All you can do is make an inexperienced player have to make a decision and hope you can pull him into making the wrong one.

The calls for "schemed pressure" and "combo routes" show a significant misunderstanding of how schemes are developed. 

Just because two receivers don't cross each other and try and scrape somebody off doesn't mean it's not a concept. Zone floods, option routes, rollouts, etc are all "combo" routes.

Archived