Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Great hands rush, a coverage sack, and a rollout sack. 

Not to demean the performance or anything because the guy was very productive and everybody gets a few cheap ones, but this wasn't a dominant performance.

I can't believe I'm the guy going to bat for Fackrell, but unlike the Buffalo game where he was pancaked into 1 sack and the other 2 came during garbage time against a rookie QB in a 22-0 blowout, his 3 sacks in a close 27-24 loss to the Seahawks is an accomplishment under any circumstances.

Fackrell also had a key batted ball that turned into a big loss and a tackle for loss in the running game. 

Denigrating Fackrell for his play on Thursday also makes no sense unless we need to keep pounding the narrative that OLBs just can't get any sacks in Pettine's scheme.  

And if Fackrell's 8 sacks so far are just "cheap ones" how come our very expensive OLBs Clay Matthews and Nick Perry (4 sacks combined) can't fall into a few more cheap sacks now and again?

31 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I can't believe I'm the guy going to bat for Fackrell, but unlike the Buffalo game where he was pancaked into 1 sack and the other 2 came during garbage time against a rookie QB in a 22-0 blowout, his 3 sacks in a close 27-24 loss to the Seahawks is an accomplishment under any circumstances.

Fackrell also had a key batted ball that turned into a big loss and a tackle for loss in the running game. 

Denigrating Fackrell for his play on Thursday also makes no sense unless we need to keep pounding the narrative that OLBs just can't get any sacks in Pettine's scheme.  

And if Fackrell's 8 sacks so far are just "cheap ones" how come our very expensive OLBs Clay Matthews and Nick Perry (4 sacks combined) can't fall into a few more cheap sacks now and again?

This thing you do where you argue against points that I'm not making is extremely weird.

Fackrell played well. A great sack and two cheap sacks is a very good game.

The short answer for why the sacksren't distributed differently, random *** chance. 

The long answer, Perry is hurt. Clay has been receiving more blocking attention. Fackrell has had the most rushes in the pure pressure looks. In part because the starters got pulled against the Bills and because he's the best of the coverage guys in that group. 

25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This thing you do where you argue against points that I'm not making is extremely weird.

Fackrell played well. A great sack and two cheap sacks is a very good game.

The short answer for why the sacksren't distributed differently, random *** chance.  

The long answer, Perry is hurt. Clay has been receiving more blocking attention. Fackrell has had the most rushes in the pure pressure looks. In part because the starters got pulled against the Bills and because he's the best of the coverage guys in that group. 

I obviously misinterpreted your assertion, regarding Fackrell's play in Seattle, that "everybody gets a few cheap ones, but this wasn't a dominant performance" as somehow detracting from that performance. My bad. 

And I've got to say you may be 100% correct that "random *** chance" is the only explanation for Fackrell having 8 sacks and Perry & Matthews 4 combined so far this season. 

However, is it possible I mean is there just a small small chance, that Fackrell is piling up these sacks because he is actually playing well and, conversely, is it possible that Perry & Matthews are not getting many sacks because they are not playing very well?

Perry's sack history is as follows:

2012 - 2

2013 - 4

2014 - 3

2015 - 3.5

2017 - 7

Clay's sack history is 

2013 - 7.5

2015 - 6.5

2016 - 5

2017 - 7.5

(Perry did get 11 sacks in his 2016 contract year and Clay had 11 in 2014, but most of those came from the ILB position).

This record reveals that with his 8 sacks in Mike Pettine's supposedly sack-unfriendly for OLBs scheme, Kyler Fackrell has already produced more sacks (in 10 games) in 2018 than Nick Perry and Clay Matthews have gotten over 9 of their combined past 11 (full) seasons, seasons in which they played in a supposedly sack-friendlier scheme.

Given these indisputable facts, I submit there is a better than random chance that the much-maligned Kyler Fackrell is significantly outperforming his two highly-compensated OLB teammates. I'd also submit that Perry & Matthews are not only not very good at rushing the passer this season, they have not been all that good at it over the past several seasons.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Great hands rush, a coverage sack, and a rollout sack. 

Not to demean the performance or anything because the guy was very productive and everybody gets a few cheap ones, but this wasn't a dominant performance.

For Fackrell that game was the super bowl, now we need him to play like that every game..

2018 opening game versus game 11 (projected) starters:

Wilkerson - Adams

Clark 

Daniels - Lowry

Matthews

Perry - Fackrell

Martinez 

Morrison - J. Jones

Williams - Alexander

King - J. Jackson

HHCD - Williams

Brice - Campbell

Good luck Sunday night Mike with your transformed lineup.

• 3 weeks later...

After today, I think the Pack will be in the top 1/2 of the NFL when it comes to ppg given up.

Given all the injuries suffered on defense, the turmoil on the offensive side of the ball, and the usual poor play on STs, the defensive showing has been relatively impressive.

In fact, I think Pettine is having the best coaching season of any coordinator (offensive, defensive, ST) in Green Bay in years.

I do not want to tie the hand of the new head coach but I sure would not mind it if he chose to retain Pettine.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

After today, I think the Pack will be in the top 1/2 of the NFL when it comes to ppg given up.

Given all the injuries suffered on defense, the turmoil on the offensive side of the ball, and the usual poor play on STs, the defensive showing has been relatively impressive.

In fact, I think Pettine is having the best coaching season of any coordinator (offensive, defensive, ST) in Green Bay in years.

I do not want to tie the hand of the new head coach but I sure would not mind it if he chose to retain Pettine.

Last I checked his defense was statistically similar with Capers in terms of performance.

This defense is bottom of the barrel. Blame it on injuries (not like capers had to deal with those).

15 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

Last I checked his defense was statistically similar with Capers in terms of performance.

This defense is bottom of the barrel. Blame it on injuries (not like capers had to deal with those).

Really?

Dom's 2017 defense finished 29th in offensive points per game.

Pettine's D was 18th prior to giving up 20 today. 

I think that ranking goes up.

And of course Capers had injuries, but he did not "deal" with them very well over the last several years of his time in Green Bay.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-offensive-points-per-game?date=2018-02-05

1 minute ago, gopackgo27 said:
20 minutes ago, PackGymRat said:

Very false

Not really. We are currently a bottom third defense in DVOA heading into this week.

We were better when our players were better too earleir in the year.

There really hasn't been an improvement over recent years, yet. Our 2014, 15, 16 and 17 defenses were all better.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Not really. We are currently a bottom third defense in DVOA heading into this week.

We were better when our players were better too earleir in the year.

There really hasn't been an improvement over recent years, yet. Our 2014, 15, 16 and 17 defenses were all better.

Stats are great & all, I genuinely get that, but a simple eye test can tell ya that this Defense is lightyears ahead of any Capers led Defense over the past 3-4 years, with half the talent. Pettine has done a magnificent job with the pieces he has in place, #1 in the NFL in Sack % & top 3 in Sacks with Kyler Fackrell leading our team in that department.

Just now, gopackgo27 said:

Stats are great & all, I genuinely get that, but a simple eye test can tell ya that this Defense is lightyears ahead of any Capers led Defense over the past 3-4 years, with half the talent. Pettine has done a magnificent job with the pieces he has in place, #1 in the NFL in Sack % & top 3 in Sacks with Kyler Fackrell leading our team in that department.

A simple eye test tells me we are pretty much exactly how we rank. 

I'll take DVOA over anyone's "eye test". Because your eye test doesn't remember more than a half dozen plays. DVOA remembers every play.

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

A simple eye test tells me we are pretty much exactly how we rank. 

I'll take DVOA over anyone's "eye test". Because your eye test doesn't remember more than a half dozen plays. DVOA remembers every play.

Where did this notion that some ill defined "eye test" trumps actual numbers come from anyway? Sounds like a hillbilly flat earth argument repackaged for football. It's cheap, unintelligent, and needs to go. Literally the most ridiculous argument ever because it denies all factual evidence in favor of vague personal notions.

6 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

I just wanna say, this defense DOES NOT MISS HHCD. Been saying that guy is badly overrated for a long time now. I'm sure everyone saw Barkleys 78yd run yesterday... do not miss seeing that **** constantly. 

HHCD seems to keep himself in position but he just hates contact.  He was literally angling himself away from Barkley on some of those runs.  

Archived