Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

To be fair to the Pettine defense....I don't think it is done or fully installed yet.

I type that because early in the year, I didn't see any stunts.  Now?  I see a few...and....they are getting home.  I love stunts.

The defense has been rotating UDFA's at safety while converting a coverage corner to safety.  All while dealing with injuries at corner and breaking in rookie corners.  (Okay, DC's defenses routinely dealt with injuries and rotating guys at corner, too.)

I see more zone blitzes...Kenny Clark drops every now and then.  I like that.

So...for year one?  I'm pretty happy with the results.

I don't want him gone.  And?  If a new coach comes in and brings in a his own DC?  Yah, I'll be fine with that too.  

Regardless of whether it is performing better or not, I believe one can see the pieces starting to come together.

Last year we had a bad secondary and an unimpressive front 7.  This year we have significant improvement at cornerback, and some pretty good play from the DL.  We knew going in that there was no fix in place for the edge rush.  

Given the interdependence of the pass rush and the coverage unit, I am not surprised with the end result, but add a good draft and some activity in free agency, it should start coming together next year.

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I understand everyone wants to see that our defense is better and that Pettine is better than Capers. I do too. But in average, our defense hasnt been this year.

Our defense has had moments of looking better, which is promising - but the overall product hasn't been.

Dems da facts.

The numbers may state the same, but universally the eye test tells you they're playing better.

They've made the stops that allow us to win or get a chance to win the game continuously and the offense failed. The 2015 or 2016 team with this defense would have better SB odds.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

The numbers may state the same, but universally the eye test tells you they're playing better.

They've made the stops that allow us to win or get a chance to win the game continuously and the offense failed. The 2015 or 2016 team with this defense would have better SB odds.

As others have said the "eye" test is a throwaway comment for me. Anytime anyone says it I disregard their opinion on the subject.

It's completely meritless.

Unless you have watched every game and have eidetic memory.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

As others have said the "eye" test is a throwaway comment for me. Anytime anyone says it I disregard their opinion on the subject.

It's completely meritless.

Unless you have watched every game and have eidetic memory.

I feel similarly about anyone who universally accepts DVOA.

I feel that both have merit, and I'd tell you my formula for taking DVOA into account (weighing)with the eye test, but like DVOA, I won't.  :) 

59 minutes ago, Leader said:

I tend to agree with this and frankly dont understand all this angst about Pettine. I guess some folks always need a coach in the crosshairs or their social media experience isnt fulfilling. I dont think Pettine's the issue. I think ARs play - plus our WR corps becoming less than stellar or consistently on the field (bet a lot of folks never thought they'd miss Allison as much as we did.....) In any case. I hope Pettine sticks around.

Don't think there is angst more so caution.  Our defense this year has been every bit as responsible for our record as the offense.  Take the Cardinals game for instance.  Our offense got all the blame for not scoring at the end but we needed to score because of the melt down by our defense (10 points in 2 of our last 3 drives).  AR12 is getting 100% of the blame for that game when in reality we needed his late game heroics because of a horrid defensive performance against one of the NFL's worst offenses. 

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I feel similarly about anyone who universally accepts DVOA.

I feel that both have merit, and I'd tell you my formula for taking DVOA into account (weighing)with the eye test, but like DVOA, I won't.  :) 

Unless someone is an knowledgeable and has had the opportunity to review defenses recently, the eye test is absolute crap.

People literally don't remember more than a handful of plays from which they form their eye test opinion. Plays that are obviously selected, then, to confirm the opinion they want to have.

Those that want to like Pettine ignore the bad plays and games. Those that want to dislike him ignore the good plays and games.

Yeah hard pass on fans' "eye-tests".

Give me emotionless data to judge results.

"....Research has found that eyewitness testimony can be very unreliable. ... Although witnesses can often be very confident that their memory is accurate , the malleable nature of human memory and visual perception makes eyewitness testimony one of the most unreliable forms of evidence " 

Apparently, alcohol consumption also has an impact on the reliability of eye tests too

The biggest difference this year from what I have seen is fewer mental mistakes in the back end. Lots of new faces, yet everyone seems to know where they should be. This was something that plagued DC's defenses leading to guys wide open.

Hopefully, moving forward the  TT  philosophy of CB being of certain size has been replaced by CB that can just flat out play, Jaire did not look over matched against one of leagues best.

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"....Research has found that eyewitness testimony can be very unreliable. ... Although witnesses can often be very confident that their memory is accurate , the malleable nature of human memory and visual perception makes eyewitness testimony one of the most unreliable forms of evidence " 

Apparently, alcohol consumption also has an impact on the reliability of eye tests too

I love Gladwell's season 3 of revisionist history which digs into mutiple cases of this. Fascinating stuff.

7 minutes ago, Redt said:

The biggest difference this year from what I have seen is fewer mental mistakes in the back end. Lots of new faces, yet everyone seems to know where they should be. This was something that plagued DC's defenses leading to guys wide open.

I really miss Dom's 10-man defensive looks.

That seemed to really confuse the opposing offenses.

Even veteran QBs did not know what to make of them.

Archived