Mike Pettine Defense

squire12

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Where did this notion that some ill defined "eye test" trumps actual numbers come from anyway? Sounds like a hillbilly flat earth argument repackaged for football. It's cheap, unintelligent, and needs to go. Literally the most ridiculous argument ever because it denies all factual evidence in favor of vague personal notions.

About the only thing you can account for that the stats don't is who is playing in the game.  Capers seemed to get exactly what was out on the field, and pettine seems to get just a bit more out of everyone.

11 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

I just wanna say, this defense DOES NOT MISS HHCD. Been saying that guy is badly overrated for a long time now. I'm sure everyone saw Barkleys 78yd run yesterday... do not miss seeing that **** constantly. 

this team misses damarious randall

Just now, KFP7 said:

HHCD seems to keep himself in position but he just hates contact.  He was literally angling himself away from Barkley on some of those runs.  

I feel like I've said this a 100 times, he takes bad angles constantly. And he always seems a couple steps behind. Nice when the wide open receiver tips the ball or QB over throws right into his lap though lol. 

Just now, skibrett15 said:

About the only thing you can account for that the stats don't is who is playing in the game.  Capers seemed to get exactly what was out on the field, and pettine seems to get just a bit more out of everyone.

this team misses damarious randall

I'm assuming you mean we miss him un regards to him playing safety for us. If so, I totally agree. 

And I totally agree about Pettine getting more out of his players. Much better coaching than we've had the past several years. I don't get how anyone could disagree with that notion. 

13 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

I just wanna say, this defense DOES NOT MISS HHCD. Been saying that guy is badly overrated for a long time now. I'm sure everyone saw Barkleys 78yd run yesterday... do not miss seeing that **** constantly. 

Could not agree more.

My worry was that, because he was a former 1st round pick who came up with a few INTs and once made the Pro Bowl, he was next in line to get a big second contract despite not earning it on the field.

Have not noticed much drop off in the Safety play since he departed.

HaHa is just another Packers high defensive draft pick who did not turn out it appears.

1 minute ago, ReadyToThump said:

I'm assuming you mean we miss him un regards to him playing safety for us. If so, I totally agree. 

And I totally agree about Pettine getting more out of his players. Much better coaching than we've had the past several years. I don't get how anyone could disagree with that notion. 

yeah i mean it could use him at nickle or FS.  Versatile player who should be on this team based on play on the field.

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Not really. We are currently a bottom third defense in DVOA heading into this week.

We were better when our players were better too earleir in the year.

There really hasn't been an improvement over recent years, yet. Our 2014, 15, 16 and 17 defenses were all better.

Does DVOA measure the fact that our offense doesn't convert 3rd downs, goes 3 and out and doesn't flip field position nearly as often as the explosive offense we had in past? Does it account for all the phony points and yards the Vikings had week 2 after the botched call?

Sorry everyone taking eye test over DVOA is spot on here. We were the first team to shut out the Rams in the 1st Q this year, we forced the most consecutive incompletions in the history of Tom Brady's career, we forced like 3 straight 3 and outs vs Seattle deep in their territory and got our O the ball at midfield, where they scored 0 off it.

This defense has made the plays to win big games just about every time. The offense blew this season. 

Just now, ReadyToThump said:

Much better coaching than we've had the past several years. I don't get how anyone could disagree with that notion. 

Because it's what people want to believe.  Everybody wants to believe our defense is markedly better.  I really don't think it is. 

Everybody is saying Pettine just doesn't have the talent.  Did you look at our talent last year? 

Here's our upgrades:

Josh Jones Year One < Josh Jones Year Two
Damarious Randall < Jaire Alexander
Davon House < Josh Jackson
HaHa Clinton-Dix < HaHa Clinton-Dix
Kyler Fackrell < Kyler Sackrell

Granted, Pettine could have had something to do with Fackrell getting better.  But if you credit him for that, you have to discredit him for getting less out of Perry.  Perry was actually serviceable last year, so let's call that a wash.

You're looking at one of the most significantly improved secondaries in the NFL and we're allowing .4 points less than we were last year.  Granted NFL offenses got better, but still... We had pure hot burning dumpster trash at CB last year, and now we've got some real verified talent there.  That is monumental, and Pettine hasn't radically turned things around.  Also granted he's missing a pass rusher, but still...

I don't hate Pettine, I don't love Pettine, I'm very lukewarm on him.  I'd like to see some of our players in year two with him, but I'd also like a fresh start everywhere if we don't win the Super Bowl this year. 

It just gets me when people hated Capers (I did too at the end) without acknowledging that he had no talent whatsoever, and then they use that excuse for Pettine when Pettine clearly has more talent. 

You look at the Colts and I don't think I could name 3 players on that defense.  They're better than us. 
Probably couldn't name 5 players on the Titans defense and they're better than us.

The Giants and Lions are both within 1 point of us on scoring rank. 

There's a lot to like about Pettine, but there's still some cause for concern.  We still have stretches where our defense looks exactly like Dom Capers.  I think we've had only two games all year where the opposition didn't score points on the first drive, and at least one of those was an unforced error. 

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This defense has made the plays to win big games just about every time. The offense blew this season. 

I tend to agree with this and frankly dont understand all this angst about Pettine. I guess some folks always need a coach in the crosshairs or their social media experience isnt fulfilling. I dont think Pettine's the issue. I think ARs play - plus our WR corps becoming less than stellar or consistently on the field (bet a lot of folks never thought they'd miss Allison as much as we did.....) In any case. I hope Pettine sticks around.

34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Does DVOA measure the fact that our offense doesn't convert 3rd downs, goes 3 and out and doesn't flip field position nearly as often as the explosive offense we had in past? Does it account for all the phony points and yards the Vikings had week 2 after the botched call?

Yes it accounts for all of this league-wide, not just Packer-centric. All phony calls are included, even those those that go against other teams, too.

Just now, Leader said:

I tend to agree with this and frankly dont understand all this angst about Pettine.

This is a myth.  I'm literally the only Pettine detractor here right now.  Everybody else loves the guy, and I don't even dislike him.  I'm not sold on him the same way I'm not sold on a 75 inch TV when I already have a 65 inch TV.  Pettine is the 65 inch TV and he's probably fine, but that 75 inch TV is tempting. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is a myth.  I'm literally the only Pettine detractor here right now.  Everybody else loves the guy, and I don't even dislike him.  I'm not sold on him the same way I'm not sold on a 75 inch TV when I already have a 65 inch TV.  Pettine is the 65 inch TV and he's probably fine, but that 75 inch TV is tempting. 

Well gee Outpost. I've not been taking notes on who's on what side of things - just seemed to me theres more chatter about it than I'd expect.
Perhaps its the Longfellow length of your posts which made me think there's more opposition then there truly is :)

Just now, Leader said:

Well gee Outpost. I've not been taking notes on who's on what side of things - just seemed to me theres more chatter about it than I'd expect.
Perhaps its the Longfellow length of your posts which made me think there's more opposition then there truly is :)

I prefer Dickens if you're going to allude to my propensity towards scrupulous detail in lieu of brevity. 

Lol people think Pettine’s defense is good because of “eye test”? 

How about the Pettine defense that couldn’t stop the Patriots consecutive run play In the 4Th Quarter?

How about the fact that the Pettine defense couldn’t hold the lead against the Rams when Rodgers gave them the lead late in the 4th?

How about the fact that the Pettine defense lacked adding pressure up front even against even mediocre teams and QBs?

I mean his defense made a back up 49ers QB (without Jimmy) look like a high caliber QB. If it wasn’t for Rodgers bailing them out last second that’s a loss on the Defense.

Pettine’s defense is statiscally similar to Capers.

So accept it and don’t come into an argument using “eye test” as your defense...lol cracks me up.

Archived