Mike Pouncey signs with the Chargers 2 year deal

49erurtaza

I think it was @game3525 who mentioned this, but I think the Chargers would be well served to draft a future C in Rd3+...but paired with Pouncey, this is a major upgrade for the LAC OL. Pulley was pretty meh all around (while Okung regained his pass pro ability, didn't see that coming run block was more meh).    They upgrade RT in the draft (and aren't forced to yet, more an inevitability), that's a very different OL than 2016 and even 2017.   Getting Lamp to go with Pouncey & Feeney really strengthens that interior OL when he's healthy (but why you need a long-term plan B).

It's a 2-year deal, which likely means it's only 1 year in guarantees.  As long as that's the case, it's a win-win for both sides.

I think it was @game3525 who mentioned this, but I think the Chargers would be well served to draft a future C in Rd3+...

It might have been Duffman or LBC who said that, but anyway I agree.

This is a smart move by the Chargers. Pouncey doesn't have to be pro-bowl Pouncey, but if he can just be league average, it would make a world of a difference for the interior of the offensive line. 

Well, not so crazy about the 10M in guarantees....but that's probably why Pouncey didn't bother visiting other teams, either lol.   Good for him, he got most of his $ back.  

If I was LAC, though, I'd double up and get a future C in Rd 3-4.   Cover your bases.  Because with Feeney and Lamp, having a rock-solid interior OL really gives Rivers the ability to shine with less inside push (along with MG3's running game ceiling going way up).   For the risk, it's an overpay, but for a true contender, I get it.

2yr deal, I'm sure its structured so TT has an out after year 1 in case the injury bug hits. Not mad about the signing as it should be an upgrade over what we had as long as he stays on the field. 

Next up is shedding some bad contracts and going after a FS and/or DT.

Just now, Zappaz said:

2yr deal, I'm sure its structured so TT has an out after year 1 in case the injury bug hits. Not mad about the signing as it should be an upgrade over what we had as long as he stays on the field. 

What kind of protection if 10M is guaranteed 

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well, not so crazy about the 10M in guarantees....but that's probably why Pouncey didn't bother visiting other teams, either lol.   Good for him, he got most of his $ back.  

If I was LAC, though, I'd double up and get a future C in Rd 3-4.   Cover your bases.  Because with Feeney and Lamp, having a rock-solid interior OL really gives Rivers the ability to shine with less inside push (along with MG3's running game ceiling going way up).   For the risk, it's an overpay, but for a true contender, I get it.

Yeah, I think you hope for someone like a Ragnow to drop or else I'd start looking at 4th or 5th round shares (I'd personally be fine with him in the 4th, but I think the league probably values him more in the 5th) on Skyler Phillips and let him be guards depth and learn the center position without being thrust straight in.

2 minutes ago, Zappaz said:

Bear in mind, one of the perceived "needs" will be flat out ignored in free agency because Telesco will have decided that that's where he's committing his 1st round pick.  It's a (bad) habit of his.

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Bear in mind, one of the perceived "needs" will be flat out ignored in free agency because Telesco will have decided that that's where he's committing his 1st round pick.  It's a (bad) habit of his.

If it's DT, then at least the odds are very high he gets a BPA-type guy there (Vea is the dream, Payne is a decent plan B).  If it's S...then dear lord, that's a gamble or a horrible reach IMO (don't see Minkah or Derwin James falling that far back).   It's too bad Telesco has nailed the last 2 drafts, but ironically his worst pick was going Mike Williams over Malik Hooker.    Obviously you guys are fine, but imagine that pick (which was the complete CW, and a major surprise when Telesco went Williams.  I would have given them the 2nd-highest draft marks of the year coming out of draft weekend had they done that, as it was I thought they were still top 5-6, loved the Lamp & Feeney picks, wish we had gone that way Rd 2 with Feeney - banged the drum for that so much lol).

34 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If it's DT, then at least the odds are very high he gets a BPA-type guy there (Vea is the dream, Payne is a decent plan B).  If it's S...then dear lord, that's a gamble or a horrible reach IMO (don't see Minkah or Derwin James falling that far back).   It's too bad Telesco has nailed the last 2 drafts, but ironically his worst pick was going Mike Williams over Malik Hooker.    Obviously you guys are fine, but imagine that pick (which was the complete CW, and a major surprise when Telesco went Williams.  I would have given them the 2nd-highest draft marks of the year coming out of draft weekend had they done that, as it was I thought they were still top 5-6, loved the Lamp & Feeney picks, wish we had gone that way Rd 2 with Feeney - banged the drum for that so much lol).

I don't see it being safety.  I hate to sound like a broken record, but Telesco simply doesn't value the position and hasn't shown any evidence of it.  More likely, they're trying to re-sign Tre Boston and if that fails they'll probably roll with some combination of Rayshawn Jenkins (they've already been listing him as a FS), moving Desmond King, or signing another journeyman to a 1-2 deal and drafting a guy on Day 3.

Honestly, I think "improving the run-defense" is earmarked for the 1st round pick; it's just a matter of whether that's a DT or a LB (and that may be determined by who is available).

Archived