2018 Free Agency Thread v2

NickButera

I would be all over this. George is a very solid S and has immense familiarity with Guenther's system. It would allow us to part ways with Nelson as well. Conley, Melvin, Worley, Nelson, Joseph and Iloka would be a very solid secondary.

Of course this is barring we have room/get Mack done.

51 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Wonder what his price tag would be. Safety market has been depressed this offseason. It's almost too easy. Upgrade the position, get younger and he knows the scheme.

I think switching him out with Nelson or Obi would be a good move(Obi would upset more people, although we could put him on pup until healthy).  We could use a decent safety back there.  

1 hour ago, daineraider said:

I think switching him out with Nelson or Obi would be a good move(Obi would upset more people, although we could put him on pup until healthy).  We could use a decent safety back there.  

throw Obi on IR and sign this guy for cheap.. Obi could maybe learn from a safety with a similar frame and game

30 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

throw Obi on IR and sign this guy for cheap.. Obi could maybe learn from a safety with a similar frame and game

What makes you could sign him for cheap? He's a well regarded asset. Will have options. Chargers just lost their starting safety for the season. 

Yup. He would instantly be our best Safety, but you're right he is a SS only and would either force KJo down the lineup or to switch to FS (which I think he might be able to do). Joseph is short and doesn't match up well vs TE's, but he does have speed and was a ballhawk in college. It's going to be interesting to see what we do.

16 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yup. He would instantly be our best Safety, but you're right he is a SS only and would either force KJo down the lineup or to switch to FS (which I think he might be able to do). Joseph is short and doesn't match up well vs TE's, but he does have speed and was a ballhawk in college. It's going to be interesting to see what we do.

Not sure that is right tbh re Iloka being a SS only. Iloka and Shawn Williams interchange at FS/SS for the Bengals. 

12 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Not sure that is right tbh re Iloka being a SS only. Iloka and Shawn Williams interchange at FS/SS for the Bengals. 

If I recall correctly, Gruden and Guenther have also said that there isn't really a FS and SS in our scheme either. The responsibilities for both mix and are interchangeable

That’s how most systems run now adays. You bring Iloka in to start not to play a reserved role. The way Gunther talks about Gilchrist makes it hard for me to think when he’s healthy he won’t be out there starting. Maybe if they sign him that will allow Oakland to release Reggie Nelson. 

I say SS as he is known for being a good in the box safety, doesn't force many TO's and is only adequate vs the pass. Hence not being a center-fielding ball hawk like most FS's try to be. If they are interchangeable than fantastic. Run Iloka and Joseph and call it a day without complicating positions. 

Archived