2018 Free Agency Thread v2

NickButera

Is he old enough for Gruden? Jk.

I'd feel much better with him than Nelson for sure. Plus, he's 7 years younger. He's the type of signing that, if he works out, could be a long term staple at S instead of a short term band aid.

I'm not wild about Gilchrist as a starter and have hopes for Joseph. Adding Iloka could set us up to not need to address S for a few years.

Ironically, he could replace Nelson twice for the same DC. 

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I say SS as he is known for being a good in the box safety, doesn't force many TO's and is only adequate vs the pass. Hence not being a center-fielding ball hawk like most FS's try to be. If they are interchangeable than fantastic. Run Iloka and Joseph and call it a day without complicating positions. 

Joseph and Nelson looked like they were interchanging last year(although @Rich7sena will confirm) problem is Joseph’s size is a matchup disaster with TEs. 

If we pickup Iloka, Joseph might be on the outs.

I could Iloka being good pickup for this defense..Joseph could be moved to FS and use his speed as a centerfielder and Iloka could be what we had envisioned Obi projected to be, a big SS matching up with TE and  complimentary piece to Joseph... Gilchrist would be our 5DB(basically a strong 6th man), coaches said they want him to play slot but he could also see the field when we want 3 safety looks... Obi can just be IR he is already hurt again...we would suddenly have great depth with our DBS

Main playing time

CB1: Melvin

CB2: Worley

Nickel: Gilchrist

Dime/5th CB: Conley/N Nelson. - Conely can slide in Worley spot if he gets suspended

Safeties:

FS: Joseph, Gilchrist

SS: Iloka, Luani/R Nelson/Harris

42 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

"Sorting it out" seems pretty legit. I wont' complain about another talented, young safety in the mix. I think we get a deal done with him.

Such a weird tweet. "A little" then saying "sorting this out" seem very opposite of one another.

People are too down on Joseph. He isn't good at covering tight ends, but we drafted him to be a free safety. He has range and he can tackle/hit. Every time we put him at FS (not often) he flashed. We need a legit SS (god dammit Obi). That's among the biggest issues on this defense.

Not signing Illoka is a major failure in that regard. He's big and can run. He doesn't force a lot of turnovers, but an average safety is a huge upgrade right now over Nelson if it lets Kujo play FS.

Maybe Erik Harris will step up for a safety spot. I'll be pumped.

Archived