2018 Free Agency Thread v2

NickButera

8 minutes ago, TLO said:

I’d have rather kept Holton for special teams purposes. 

Disagree. We already have Harris for STs. Obv not the same exact ST role, but I really don't think that we had enough WR threats for Carr. Coop is inconsistent. Nelson is crafty but age is going to catch up with him before too long. Can't count on Roberts. Hatcher is totally unproven.

Not trying to call LaFell a legit threat, but outside of the trades (which I feel we collectively have had enough of) I don't see a better avenue to address the need.

47 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

The guy averages 650 yrs and 3.5 TD's over his 8 year career and was just cut from Cincy...  Cincy obviously thought he wasn't as good as the 8 other WR's they kept and you're convinced he's our number 3 and pumped about it lol Super bowl here we come, heck with numbers like he averages do you sniff a pro bowl birth in his near future?  Maybe he can be that elite X we have been lacking Hahaha

That's pretty good production for a #3, no?

I think he's fine. Not ideal but will suffice. Established vet with a known and reliable skill set.  The exact type of post-camp casualty most teams look for.

32 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Disagree. We already have Harris for STs. Obv not the same exact ST role, but I really don't think that we had enough WR threats for Carr. Coop is inconsistent. Nelson is crafty but age is going to catch up with him before too long. Can't count on Roberts. Hatcher is totally unproven.

Not trying to call LaFell a legit threat, but outside of the trades (which I feel we collectively have had enough of) I don't see a better avenue to address the need.

Agreed as to that preference. Personally would have kept Holton over Roberts. Not only for STs but Lafell's skill set is more possession receiver oriented like Roberts and Nelson. Holton at least gives you a speedy deep threat option. Not that he's been particularly consistent at that. But at least an added offensive element compared to Roberts.

33 minutes ago, StocktonSav said:

Agreed as to that preference. Personally would have kept Holton over Roberts. Not only for STs but Lafell's skill set is more possession receiver oriented like Roberts and Nelson. Holton at least gives you a speedy deep threat option. Not that he's been particularly consistent at that. But at least an added offensive element compared to Roberts.

Yaysh. Holton is a disaster. I'm no big fan of Roberts or Lafell, but at least they're actual pros. Holton is not a WR in any way shape or form. What was a good unit became a weak one, now fans are back to being desperate about the #3,4,5 guys. They're all lackluster. Holton by far the most lackluster. He's got speed, can't complete a catch though so who cares.

Underwhelming signing. I hesitate to believe there wasn't someone out there with better upside, but at least we know LaFell's floor. I can appreciate his consistency over the years. 

Unfortunately, it seems we've made nothing but kneejerk head scratching moves all off season regarding recievers. The Bryant trade was far too risky to begin with, we let a guy with potential go too early in Switzer, kept Roberts, signed a ? in Jordy (though I'm optimistic), and really failed to otherwise address it. 

Personally, I'd have rather brought in a guy like Wheaton and rolled the dice there, if only for some variety. Oh well.

7 hours ago, StocktonSav said:

Holton had 9 catches last year in 16 games, he's a special teams player. With Lafell and Roberts, you have two guys that can step up in a pinch if Cooper or Jordy get injured. Those two are a solid #3/#4 combo behind our starters. If guys like Hatcher or Harris are seeing extended time it's not a good sign for our offense.

On 04/09/2018 at 8:18 AM, NYRaider said:

Holton had 9 catches last year in 16 games, he's a special teams player. With Lafell and Roberts, you have two guys that can step up in a pinch if Cooper or Jordy get injured. Those two are a solid #3/#4 combo behind our starters. If guys like Hatcher or Harris are seeing extended time it's not a good sign for our offense.

Will be interesting to see how many snaps we get out of Roberts for the $4.5m we are paying him. He really needs to be #3 receiver for the money we are paying him and the fact he doesn’t contribute on special teams. 

I dont get that we trade Mack for cap purposes when we obviously didn’t want to keep Roberts, given that we traded for Bryant. 

21 hours ago, Dessie said:

I dont get that we trade Mack for cap purposes when we obviously didn’t want to keep Roberts, given that we traded for Bryant. 

Vic said we were looking to trade Roberts during TC if/when another team needed a receiver. Obviously, Bryant facing a suspension and being cut changed that plan. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Vic said we were looking to trade Roberts during TC if/when another team needed a receiver. Obviously, Bryant facing a suspension and being cut changed that plan. 

Jeez you rely on Vic a lot don’t you?

37 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Jeez you rely on Vic a lot don’t you?

Who sees the team more than guys like him or Jerry McD or Levi? They all were wrong about the Mack deal but for day to day stuff....who else ya got? Gutierrez?

Anyway, I outlined my thoughts on the WR position in my long rant. I truly believe we were surprised by Bryant's impending suspension risk. Whether it was due to a new infraction or not, I don't know. I doubt we move Switzer AND cut Whalen if we had prior knowledge of that. And if we still do.....yikes. Because that means the initial assessment of them being able to be valuable additions was wrong. Ugly no matter how you slice it, my friend.

3 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Who sees the team more than guys like him or Jerry McD or Levi? They all were wrong about the Mack deal but for day to day stuff....who else ya got? Gutierrez?

Anyway, I outlined my thoughts on the WR position in my long rant. I truly believe we were surprised by Bryant's impending suspension risk. Whether it was due to a new infraction or not, I don't know. I doubt we move Switzer AND cut Whalen if we had prior knowledge of that. And if we still do.....yikes. Because that means the initial assessment of them being able to be valuable additions was wrong. Ugly no matter how you slice it, my friend.

Truth, I follow those 3 for everything. Vic always seems to have great predictions, inside rumors, analysis, whatever you want to call it.

Archived