2018 Free Agency Thread v2

NickButera

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Seahawks DT Malik McDowell to be cut. I know this forum was pretty split on him, but most thought Seattle got a steal with the pick. I was a big fan of his. It's too bad about his accident though and how it has derailed his career before it even beginning. 

I am sure some team will bring him in for a tryout, and god knows we need interior pass-rush potential. 

Thoughts?

Character and work ethic issues + brain injury + hasnt played a single down in over a year + still not medically cleared = waste of a roster spot

Seahawks DT Malik McDowell to be cut. I know this forum was pretty split on him, but most thought Seattle got a steal with the pick. I was a big fan of his. It's too bad about his accident though and how it has derailed his career before it even beginning. 

I am sure some team will bring him in for a tryout, and god knows we need interior pass-rush potential. 

Thoughts?

Unreal. Really liked him last year. Hope he can rebound. Immense potential. Telling Seattle already giving up

On 3/20/2018 at 5:35 PM, NickButera said:

@NightTrainLane I forgot to respond in the other thread. To my point about the aging players, it wasn't because we necessarily signed one or two aging players. it's the totality of starters on the roster.  Our offense could consist of Cook, Lee smith, Matthews, (maybe Decker) Lynch, Martin,  Penn too? Pretty much all our starters that touch the ball other than Cooper and Carr will need to be replaced in the next year or two, plus our LT (hopefully we'll get through the draft this year or next). I'm not starting a false narrative, I'm just observing how many starting WR's, TE's and RB's would be at the 30 mark and say 'hey, that's a concern'.  Probably could have made my point more clear, but I was lazy and expect everyone to agree with me. 

The Draft will hopefully give us a couple offensive ball handlers. But as of now, I feel very good for this year, but meh for years after that. 

My only complaint was 

keeping Roberts for 4m,  Lee Smith 3m 

signing that tackle for 3.5 m... with that money would have simply brought back Bowman and just kept Newhouse for 1.5m.. could have signed a cheap slot too someone like Jordan Matthews Kendall Wright who signed for around 1m. Or could have drafted a Young blocking tight end (what lee smith is) and a young wideout for the slot 

Most of the vets we signed are just depth... as Gruden recently said we have not drafted well at all the past few years and the depth has been impacted... only free agent signings we can expect to be starters 

Nelson WR older 

K Smith FB in his prime 

Whitehead LB in his prime 

Melvin CB in his prime 

Gilchrist S (might start) in his prime 

Ellis DT- entering his prime 

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Most of the vets we signed are just depth... as Gruden recently said we have not drafted well at all the past few years and the depth has been impacted... only free agent signings we can expect to be starters 

Nelson WR older 

K Smith FB in his prime 

Whitehead LB in his prime 

Melvin CB in his prime 

Gilchrist S (might start) in his prime 

Ellis DT- entering his prime 

55325174.jpg

I always really liked Houston and was super bummed when he wasn't a Raider. I was surprised he didn't have a better career tbh. 

I am all for this.

He was another in a long list of overhyped players by fans desperate for talent

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Is this some sort of hazing you and other people not about some in group do for new posters... lame 

Just new posters..... who are not really new, but pretend to be new multiple times under new names to escape the fact that their previous new account was actually banned.

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Houston was a good player, I don't know if we ever hyped him to be more then that. Injuries derailed his career

Houston was a more healthy version ofMario Edwards before Edwards was around. Houston never set the world on fire but he is a decent pass rusher... this team still one of the worst at getting to the QB despite having Mack 

On 4/13/2018 at 7:00 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

I would rather take a flyer on an inferior route running 29 year old rather than a great route running 33 year old that we can hope to get one more productive year out of.  Dez wins contested balls and is way more physical than Nelson at 33.  I will say that Dez is a drama queen and that is a turn off but other than that an upgrade over Nelson.  

There is more to being a good WR than precise route runner, look at Cooper as an example.  I firmly believe that Dak has held Dez back, as Dak is on of the most overrated QB's in the game.  I think under the right situation Dez will have 2 or 3 more productive years and with a QB like Carr he could achieve that.  

He's not coming to Oakland but if he ends up in NE I am willing to be he has a few more very productive years as long as TB is playing.  

Not trying to pick a side here. But if your argument is Dez has under performed due to Dak. Then you have to also believe Nelson under performed due to Hundley. And as much as Dak may be over rated he is far better than Hundley.

Archived