2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

38 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

That was in my post.  3rd round RB like Jones III, Wadley, Michel, Penny, Love, etc would all be a nice addition.  RB is stacked this year.  No reason a game changer won't be there in round 3 that's how good this class is.   

Well this regime hasn’t prioritized RB in the draft. Hopefully missing out on Kamara taught them a lesson. 

4 hours ago, SDotNova said:

This is where PFF stats are helpful. They adjust their completion percentage for drops and throwaways. Below are the adjusted stats for the 2017 season. When you adjust for drops and throwaways, Jackson's completion percentage is on par with the other QBs. Also note that he gets pressured at a higher rate than the other QBs and his CMP% holds in those situation. Looking at stats, the red flags I see are really with Darnold, Allen and Stidham. Their completion percentages are materially lower when under pressure or drops under 60%. 

ATT ADJ %   Pressure % ATT UP ADJ % UP
Rosen 453 74.4   29.7 113 68.8
Darnold 414 70.6   25.8 91 59.7
Jackson 400 73.1   34.4 107 66.3
Mayfield 348 82.6   25.4 71 70.0
Allen 252 65.7   39.0 84 52.2
Falk 535 74.7   25.8 106 65.9
Stidham 296 76.6   29.5 65 57.4

The key is to couple stats with film review. Are these QBs able to hit their receives on the numbers in stride? Even adjusted completion percentage don't tell the whole story. Look at Petty, even those completions that he had last Sunday were terrible. Anderson made a couple of shoestring catches.

As of now, my QB bigboard is Rosen > Mayfield > Jackson > Darnold > Falk > Rudolph. Rosen is the only player I would be happy with us trading up for. 

This is a great stat! I think this mixed with the eye test of hitting a receiver in stride are the best way to grade along with the level of competition. Mayfields accuracy is astronomical. The one thing I will say about Darnold is that he lost his top 2 receivers and top 3 lineman to the draft last year and then his offensive line was riddled with injuries this year. 

Rosen

Darnold

Mayfield

Jackson

I want one of these guys, I think NFL scouts are going to put Allen ahead of Mayfield after the pro days and combine.

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

My dream scenario is that the Browns try and outsmart everyone and don't take a QB with the first pick. Then the Giants go Darnold. Jets trade up to the 3rd or 4th pick with the 49ers and select Josh Rosen!!! And the crowd goes wild!! 

Having Rosen and Darnold in the same city would be awesome.  

Nova I love it

I think there’s no way the Browns don’t choose a QB. The Giants I’m not sold on that they’ll for sure go QB. Darnold turned the ball over a ton and they might not view him as a franchise QB. Perhaps view the next few guys just as high as him and decide to trade back and add extra picks to address the OLine.

10 hours ago, SDotNova said:

This is where PFF stats are helpful. They adjust their completion percentage for drops and throwaways. Below are the adjusted stats for the 2017 season. When you adjust for drops and throwaways, Jackson's completion percentage is on par with the other QBs. Also note that he gets pressured at a higher rate than the other QBs and his CMP% holds in those situation. Looking at stats, the red flags I see are really with Darnold, Allen and Stidham. Their completion percentages are materially lower when under pressure or drops under 60%. 

ATT ADJ %   Pressure % ATT UP ADJ % UP
Rosen 453 74.4   29.7 113 68.8
Darnold 414 70.6   25.8 91 59.7
Jackson 400 73.1   34.4 107 66.3
Mayfield 348 82.6   25.4 71 70.0
Allen 252 65.7   39.0 84 52.2
Falk 535 74.7   25.8 106 65.9
Stidham 296 76.6   29.5 65 57.4

The key is to couple stats with film review. Are these QBs able to hit their receives on the numbers in stride? Even adjusted completion percentage don't tell the whole story. Look at Petty, even those completions that he had last Sunday were terrible. Anderson made a couple of shoestring catches.

As of now, my QB bigboard is Rosen > Mayfield > Jackson > Darnold > Falk > Rudolph. Rosen is the only player I would be happy with us trading up for. 

This is a great post man! 

I do recall a few times while watching Jackson being underwhelmed with his overall accuracy but these numbers are hard to argue with. 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think there’s no way the Browns don’t choose a QB. The Giants I’m not sold on that they’ll for sure go QB. Darnold turned the ball over a ton and they might not view him as a franchise QB. Perhaps view the next few guys just as high as him and decide to trade back and add extra picks to address the OLine.

I find it fasinating how different the perception of different players is across the different forums. From what I've gathered a lot of GMs have 1st round grades for:

Darnold

Rosen

Allen

in that order and then some combination of

Mayfield

Jackson

Falk

as 2nd to 3rd round grades with Mayfield and Jackson likely going in the first round. I think with those two it's a matter of over coming issues that haven't really been done to a large extent.

Browns have many ways to get a qb. I can see John Dorsey going after a veteran.  AJ McCarron?  Alex Smith?  Kirk Cousins? Jimmy Garoppolo?   Dorsey never has drafted a qb in the 1st round but his stint as GM was so brief to think otherwise. One thing about Dorsey and Chiefs is Chiefs dumped Dorsey and then drafted Pat Mahomes. Umm. Who knows.

11 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Browns have many ways to get a qb. I can see John Dorsey going after a veteran.  AJ McCarron?  Alex Smith?  Kirk Cousins? Jimmy Garoppolo?   Dorsey never has drafted a qb in the 1st round but his stint as GM was so brief to think otherwise. One thing about Dorsey and Chiefs is Chiefs dumped Dorsey and then drafted Pat Mahomes. Umm. Who knows.

I'd be floored if CLE passed on a QB.  Same with NYG.  Especially if both Rosen and Darnold come out.  They're 1 and 2.

13 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Unless they sign Cousins (I hope so) or some other long term FA QB they have to draft a QB. If they pass or trade out the fan base may burn the stadium down at this point.

15 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'd be floored if CLE passed on a QB.  Same with NYG.  Especially if both Rosen and Darnold come out.  They're 1 and 2.

They passed on Wentz and Watson. My view is that if they don't view these QBs as Top 10 picks, they will pass on a QB. They didn't like Wentz coming out and thought he would bust. They liked Watson but didn't think he was worth the 12th pick. Giving the history under this regime, I don't think anything is out of the question. They value their analysis and stick to it.

How would you rank Rosen, Darnold, Wentz, Mahomes and Watson if they were all in this draft? 

Edit: I included Mahomes since he was the 10th pick.

12 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

They passed on Wentz and Watson. My view is that if they don't view these QBs as Top 10 picks, they will pass on a QB. They didn't like Wentz coming out and thought he would bust. They liked Watson but didn't think he was worth the 12th pick. Giving their history under this regime, I don't think anything is out of the question. They value their analysis and stick to it.

How would you rank Rosen, Darnold, Wentz and Watson if they were all in this draft?

Well it's a new regime and they messed it up before so I doubt they do it again.  The fanbase would riot as they should if they went into next season with only Kiser.  Jets fans should as well if we don't address the QB too.

If I had to rank them with no knowledge of how Wentz and Watson would play then probably.

Darnold, Wentz, Rosen, Watson.

18 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Well it's a new regime and they messed it up before so I doubt they do it again.  The fanbase would riot.

If I had to rank them with no knowledge of how Wentz and Watson would play then probably.

Darnold, Wentz, Rosen, Watson.

That's true. Dorsey does change things. And it sounds like he has a lot of power even though DePodesta is still there.

Archived