2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm starting to fall more and more for Jackson. Might be looking at a faster version of Watson. 

He has the most to gain or lose from the combine and pro days. He has to show he can be accurate from the pocket. If he doesn't he might slip to the late 1st, early 2nd. If he does show accuracy... he's right there with the others in the top 5-10 conversation. If he's accurate I rank him only behind Rosen.

Lamar has such an electric arm that he his mechanics/foot work can be sloppy as hell at times. Lamar looks like he's one hit away from being a normal QB, but then again he never got hurt in college where Rosen and Allen did. Jackson is probably the ultimate wild card in this draft at the QB position.

I really hope the Jets find a way to draft Dallas Goedert, he looks like an absolute monster and would be a nice weapon to have for whoever our QB is going to be.

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm starting to fall more and more for Jackson. Might be looking at a faster version of Watson. 

Jackson is the superior athlete, but I don't believe they come close from an intangible prospective; Watson blows him away from that perspective IMO

12 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Stay away from One Jets Drive please.

Dislike ^ ^ ^ . . . . I would love Jackson is a Jets uniform.  

There are 4 QB's I want. . . in no order

Cousins
Rosen
Mayfield
Jackson

We go into 2018 with one of those 4 then we had a very good offseason.

21 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Cousins
Rosen
Mayfield
Jackson

Exactly. 

10 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Meh, I don’t think we have the coaching staff or good situation for Jackson to thrive in. Also doesn’t seem like a QB that Mac would draft. I have a very hard time seeing him succeed here.

He could fit the offense, although Baker is the best fit of the rookies.

42 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Meh, I don’t think we have the coaching staff or good situation for Jackson to thrive in. Also doesn’t seem like a QB that Mac would draft. I have a very hard time seeing him succeed here.

I think Bates could adapt and adjust to Jackson's strengths just fine.  I see no reason that with 100M that we could give him a great OL and weapons to work with to be successful though.

I do agree that he's not the type of QB Mac would draft.

Really trying to scout these 2nd Roundish Edge rushers to find a gem. I think we go Edge in Round 2. There’s a few good options in FA, but I see them all being tagged or resigning. I could see us taking Chubb at 6, but I think we go after 1 at 37 or 49. I’ll keep doing my scouting on them. OO is the biggest one that sticks out to me so far along with the raw talent of Josh Sweat.

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Cousins
Rosen
Mayfield
Jackson

Jackson is not ideal for us sorry. I understand your admiration for him because his potential is great but just cannot see the Jets looking his way nor should they. Jackson would be a disaster here, he needs a legitimate offensive mind, system and time to reach the level needed to play QB in the NFL. This fan base won't give anyone time.

51 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Jackson is not ideal for us sorry. I understand your admiration for him because his potential is great but just cannot see the Jets looking his way nor should they. Jackson would be a disaster here, he needs a legitimate offensive mind, system and time to reach the level needed to play QB in the NFL. This fan base won't give anyone time.

Why shouldn't the Jets look at a QB with potential through the roof, that makes no sense.  A team desperate for a good QB should be looking at a talent like Jackson in fact not worrying about what an impulsive fan base thinks.  That line of thinking is likely why we haven't had a franchise QB is decades.

We've given plenty of time to Sanchez, Geno, etc over the years and now we are doing/did the same with Hack/Petty.  We red shirted Hack two seasons, how is that not patient.  Jackson would be just fine here if we went out and got a solid stop gap QB like Tyrod (who I would go after if we did land Jackson).  Similar styles of QB play would make the transition would be seamless.  Tyrod has proven he can lead a good supporting cast to the playoffs so we could still make a playoff push and groom Jackson for a year behind Tyrod.  Tyrod's deal could have an out after 2 years so when Jackson is ready we cut ties and move on or just get stuck with him as a high paid back up for 1 season if Jackson is ready quickly.  I'm of the mind that Jackson isn't some 2 year project and he could thrive in year 1 at QB.  It's ideal to ease him in but god given ability is enough to start him day 1.  You do a lot of spread and RPO type plays and keep the throws easy he'll be fine.  When the play breaks down he'd be at his best anyway.

Bates is viewed as a bright offensive mind by many well respected players/coaches so just dismissing Jackson because he isn't exactly what Bates previously worked with is a terrible idea.  He's not my 1st choice but I would be happy to have him.  If you don't think he'll be a good QB that's fine but I do and if the opportunity presents itself I'd take him without hesitation.  I'm not the GM though and Mac is so he might write him off because he's not what he's looking for at the QB.  I'm just saying that's a dumb on Mac's part if he does.

I get he's not a typical Mac QB type (see Hack selection) but if you think he can play and we miss on Cousins, can't trade up, and none of the top QB's drop to 6 (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield) then I'd make sure to take him at 6 over Josh Allen.  

I'm on putting my name on it, Jackson will be a very good NFL QB.

55 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I think Darnold would be the best fit, not that he's my guy or anything.

I wouldnt be upset with it, can't be worse than Mark Sanchez, USC QBs scare me though, pretty terrible track record. Even Carson Palmer while solid wasn't spectacular either.

4 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I wouldnt be upset with it, can't be worse than Mark Sanchez, USC QBs scare me though, pretty terrible track record. Even Carson Palmer while solid wasn't spectacular either.

Darnold is light years ahead of Sanchez.

He’s my #1 player, but would need to go to 1 to get him, so he’s pretty much off the list.

Archived