2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

21 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

A few notes of worth  from PFF's coverage of the Senior Bowl for players the Jets are likely eyeing closely:

Allen: 

• Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen showing a bit of spotty accuracy in his first go, definitely the least accurate of the North quarterbacks
  • Allen continues to throw at a higher velocity than every other quarterback, but has thrown two bad overthrows on downfield shots

Mayfield:

• Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield fumbles a snap from under center, his second on the day
  • Mayfield hits Gallup on an intermediate throw, shaking off a fumbled center exchange just a few snaps earlier

Doesn't seem like Allen is going to remove doubts about his accuracy issues. Mayfield is showing that he will have some growing pains transition to playing more under center. 

We need to just hope that Allen does enough so that Dorsey takes him at 1.  I feel like if they do, the Giants might go Darnold at 2, allowing us to trade up at 3 to get Rosen. 

44 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

A few notes of worth  from PFF's coverage of the Senior Bowl for players the Jets are likely eyeing closely:

Allen: 

• Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen showing a bit of spotty accuracy in his first go, definitely the least accurate of the North quarterbacks
  • Allen continues to throw at a higher velocity than every other quarterback, but has thrown two bad overthrows on downfield shots

Mayfield:

• Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield fumbles a snap from under center, his second on the day
  • Mayfield hits Gallup on an intermediate throw, shaking off a fumbled center exchange just a few snaps earlier

Doesn't seem like Allen is going to remove doubts about his accuracy issues. Mayfield is showing that he will have some growing pains transition to playing more under center. 

Yea Allen made two throws today that I had no idea who they were intended for and one that made him look like an all pro (even if it was dropped). 

Just too inconsistent for me as I love the ball placement of Baker in these practices. 

7 minutes ago, MoLewis57 said:

Yea Allen made two throws today that I had no idea who they were intended for and one that made him look like an all pro (even if it was dropped). 

Just too inconsistent for me as I love the ball placement of Baker in these practices. 

I didn't get a chance to watch any of the practice. Been relying on a handful of website for updates. Baker finished practice as PFF's second rated QB on the day (Just below Benkert). How did he look taking snaps under center? He apparently had two fumbles. 

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

I didn't get a chance to watch any of the practice. Been relying on a handful of website for updates. Baker finished practice as PFF's second rated QB on the day (Just below Benkert). How did he look taking snaps under center? He apparently had two fumbles. 

Yesterday he did. I just watched the one that started at 1 today. He looked good throwing the ball per always. Tucked and ran in team drills once and had one throw that was just a bit too far out of bounds while under pressure (would have been a sack for sure) 

Overall he had a good day. 

The last post I out up is about today as well. Allen had that one next level throw that only a few guys in the league can make and then some wtf throws. 

Should be noted if someone hasn't already said... that Mayfield might not play in the game bc his Mom is having some kind of health issue. Makes complete sense for him to leave for a reason like that obviously. But what we will see from him will only be these practices maybe.

1 hour ago, MoLewis57 said:

I heard he had two beautiful deep balls though.  I really hope he does well so he's gone before we pick.  I want no part of him.

5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I heard he had two beautiful deep balls though.  I really hope he does well so he's gone before we pick.  I want no part of him.

I saw two great throws that he pushed down the field 20 or so yards today effortlessly. It was very impressive. 

I too hope someone above us falls in love with his size and ability to launch the ball out of his hand like a laser. 

I just cant get on the bandwagon of Darnold or Allen. Darnolds turnovers are bad and Allen's performances against actual DI talent is alarming how bad it is. Even with how much I dislike Mayfield, I might prefer him to those 2 strictly on talent. I view Rosen as quite a bit better than anyone in this draft class. Jackson is the "x" factor. But I see now way I like him at 6. But I would be all in on going for a BPA type situation at 6 (non QB) and then trading up to the mid/end of Round 1 to go get Jackson if he shows good accuracy and an ability to stay in the pocket.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I just cant get on the bandwagon of Darnold or Allen. Darnolds turnovers are bad and Allen's performances against actual DI talent is alarming how bad it is. Even with how much I dislike Mayfield, I might prefer him to those 2 strictly on talent. I view Rosen as quite a bit better than anyone in this draft class. Jackson is the "x" factor. But I see now way I like him at 6. But I would be all in on going for a BPA type situation at 6 (non QB) and then trading up to the mid/end of Round 1 to go get Jackson if he shows good accuracy and an ability to stay in the pocket.

I’m not too worried about Darnolds turnovers. Most of it can be corrected. Watson’s big knock was the turnovers too (and the arm strength thing) but it’s something that can be fixed. His ball placement and anticipation is excellent.

Want absolutely no part in Lamar Jackson, in pretty much any scenario.

38 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Darnold's turnover machine is overblown.  Last year alone, he had to deal with broken OL that screwed up the rhythm despite he has solid pocket awareness.

If you are very mindful about that then why don't Jets send 1st round pick to Colts for Jacoby Brissett. He was sacked 52 times and fumbled 5 or 6 times (2 lost) last year ALONE.

Definitely needed to watch of Tremaine Edmunds after seeing Jeremiah list him as his 3rd overall prospect. First player I thought of was Leonard Floyd. Tall, slender build but has excellent tools to be a multi-purpose linebacker in the NFL. We've seen types like Mingo and Maybin not work out because they're one-dimensional players, but Edmunds is more like Floyd in the sense that he can play all 3 downs and will be a problem for defenses since they won't consistently know whats coming.  Jeremiah is onto something... in a class that lacks freak pass rushers, Edwards will probably go higher and be projected as a pass rushing LB/3-4 OLB given that he has the talent and is a more complete player. Non stop motor too. 

All being said, Chubb is my pick if we were to select a pass rusher. He may not be as talented compared to Edmunds and I'm not sure he's "special" in the mold of Garrett/Clowney, but I think he's a safe bet as a pass rusher. Kind of reminds me of Derek Barnett with a little more size/length. 

54 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Definitely needed to watch of Tremaine Edmunds after seeing Jeremiah list him as his 3rd overall prospect. First player I thought of was Leonard Floyd. Tall, slender build but has excellent tools to be a multi-purpose linebacker in the NFL. We've seen types like Mingo and Maybin not work out because they're one-dimensional players, but Edmunds is more like Floyd in the sense that he can play all 3 downs and will be a problem for defenses since they won't consistently know whats coming.  Jeremiah is onto something... in a class that lacks freak pass rushers, Edwards will probably go higher and be projected as a pass rushing LB/3-4 OLB given that he has the talent and is a more complete player. Non stop motor too. 

All being said, Chubb is my pick if we were to select a pass rusher. He may not be as talented compared to Edmunds and I'm not sure he's "special" in the mold of Garrett/Clowney, but I think he's a safe bet as a pass rusher. Kind of reminds me of Derek Barnett with a little more size/length. 

Generally agree with everything you said. Except I see more of a Hassan Reddick type mood rather than Floyd. I know you were on this site a couple years ago and Floyd was viewed as a very risky pick. I feel the same way with Edmunds. Great player and like him, just not at 6.

At times I wish we never drafted Hack besides for obviously reasons bc the kid has so much talent. I just feel like so many of these guys in the draft are worse than him and we would be wasting the pick. Especially since I see him getting a chance before most of them do. I really just think some see things differently. I’m reading people saying it’s ok that Darnold turned the ball over more than twice as much as Hack did when Hacks OLine was twice as worse. Elaborate to me on that? Either your evaluation of Hack of being awful is wrong or the evaluation of Darnold being good is wrong.

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Generally agree with everything you said. Except I see more of a Hassan Reddick type mood rather than Floyd. I know you were on this site a couple years ago and Floyd was viewed as a very risky pick. I feel the same way with Edmunds. Great player and like him, just not at 6.

Floyd is better pass rusher than Edmunds but Edmunds can cover RB, TE and slot receiver. I know it is crazy to count on 245er to cover short and quick WRs who have been making Buster Skrine look bad but his tools are crazy off the charts.

I will start him over Jenkins if Jets are able to get a pure pass rusher.

Archived