2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

Nice interview by Allen. Sounds like a real level headed guy who is a realist about where he stands as a QB. 

Still wouldn't draft him at 6 though. These guys likely have had people critiquing their mechanics, giving them advice and going to QB camps for years. They are mostly who they are going to be. If he has tried to make his mechanics more consistent and they are still inconsistent, then he will likely be a QB with inconsistent mechanics. 

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018joshallen.php

17 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Seriously, Nobody remembers?

I don't remember so I took a few minutes to dig up some reports.

Mitchy Mitch - We apparently were all over him but there wasn't an official meeting

Rumors said that the Jets would go best player available at 6 last year. 

Meetings: Evan Engram TE, Eddie Vanderdoes DT, Zach Banner OT, Julien Davenport DT, C.J. Beathard QB, Obi Melifonwu S, Trent Tayor WR, Donnel Pumphrey RB, Jalen Robinette WR.

We didn't draft a single player we met with at the senior bowl. We did interview a couple WRs which was a hint that we felt we needed to draft WRs. 

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I don't remember so I took a few minutes to dig up some reports.

Mitchy Mitch - We apparently were all over him but there wasn't an official meeting

Rumors said that the Jets would go best player available at 6 last year. 

Meetings: Evan Engram TE, Eddie Vanderdoes DT, Zach Banner OT, Julien Davenport DT, C.J. Beathard QB, Obi Melifonwu S, Trent Tayor WR, Donnel Pumphrey RB, Jalen Robinette WR.

We didn't draft a single player we met with at the senior bowl. We did interview a couple WRs which was a hint that we felt we needed to draft WRs. 

I haven't reached Senior Bowl yet.  I talked about East and West Shrine.

So far I have found.

2016 Shrine Interviews: QB Joel Stave, OLB Victor Ochi, DE/OLB Anthony Zettel and G Charles Vaillancourt

2016 Shrine Taken: QB Joel Stave (PS), OLB Victor Ochi (PS then Titans), CB Juston Burris (4th), RT Brandon Shell (5th) and WR Robby Anderson (UDFA).

2017 Shrine Interviews: S Jadar Johnson and TE Blake Jarwin.

2017 Shrine Taken: RB Elijah McGuire.

2018 Shrine Interviews: WR Regis Cibasu, ILB Jason Cabinda,  LB D.J. Palmore, LB Jacob Pugh, WR Devonte Boyd, DT Poona Ford, QB Jeremiah Briscoe, CB Heath Harding, RB Phillip Lindsay, OT Greg Senat, RB/FB Jordan Chunn.

I really don't want to trade up, hopefully Baker/Darnold can fall to us at 6 and cash in. Really want to take advantage of 2 Second rounders to shore up the team. Would love to go

1: Baker 

2:  Martinas Rankin

2: Braden Smith

3: Royce Freeman or Rashad Penny

4: Porter Gustin or Best available DE/OLB

5-7 Bpa

8 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I really don't want to trade up, hopefully Baker/Darnold can fall to us at 6 and cash in. Really want to take advantage of 2 Second rounders to shore up the team. Would love to go

1: Baker 

2:  Martinas Rankin

2: Braden Smith

3: Royce Freeman or Rashad Penny

4: Porter Gustin or Best available DE/OLB

5-7 Bpa

Love the idea but with 100M and not a great FA class I'd love to make Norwell and Richburg the highest paid players at OG and C and spend my money there.  We'd still have plenty to attack CB and other positions still.  That would eliminate the need for Smith and open us up to a CB, OLB, RB etc.  I like the idea of a good LT prospect like Rankin who could learn behind Beachum for 1 season and then take over giving us a great OL for the future with Rankin, Norwell, Richburg, Winters, Shell.

This OT class is shaping up pretty well.  Way better than previously expected.  Guys like Rankin, O'neil, Crosby could all be soild day two developmental LT's.

28 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Love the idea but with 100M and not a great FA class I'd love to make Norwell and Richburg the highest paid players at OG and C and spend my money there.  We'd still have plenty to attack CB and other positions still.  That would eliminate the need for Smith and open us up to a CB, OLB, RB etc.  I like the idea of a good LT prospect like Rankin who could learn behind Beachum for 1 season and then take over giving us a great OL for the future with Rankin, Norwell, Richburg, Winters, Shell.

This OT class is shaping up pretty well.  Way better than previously expected.  Guys like Rankin, O'neil, Crosby could all be soild day two developmental LT's.

I would still do it with Richburg and Norwell additions. Rankin would be the future LT and Smith could take over for Winters. The OL would be nasty and a RB core of Freeman/McGuire/Powell would have open lanes to run free all day.

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

That's fair, there are guys like that for me as well.  I personally don't have him in that category.  That is most reserved for the real scummy athletes.

Taking that out of the equation though how do you view him as an on the field prospect only?

I think he definitely has qualities I like. But some I don’t. My issue strictly on the field isn’t that I don’t think he’s good. It’s that I’m not sure he’s worth the 6th pick. Honestly this is a poor draft class for QBs. I mean let’s be real Darnold turned the ball over at a high rate and will be a top 3 pick probably. Mayfield size I’m not a fan of for starters. I know his hand size size was ok, but still from a taking hits, seeing over lineman and getting balls batted down at the LOS could be an issue. Next is the OU system. I think it’s a system set up for QBs to succeed with talent. Much like a Texas Tech (oddly where Baker also went) or Washington State (Mike Leach led offense) offense. Leads to inflated stats, higher competition percentage, etc. So it doesn’t tell the whole story. I see tools I like in him like his arm strength, accuracy, seems to have an X factor, etc. But I can’t just push to the side his size, system and just rather cockiness punk type attitude. All that has to be taken into consideration.

A few notes of worth  from PFF's coverage of the Senior Bowl for players the Jets are likely eyeing closely:

Allen: 

• Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen showing a bit of spotty accuracy in his first go, definitely the least accurate of the North quarterbacks
  • Allen continues to throw at a higher velocity than every other quarterback, but has thrown two bad overthrows on downfield shots

Mayfield:

• Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield fumbles a snap from under center, his second on the day
  • Mayfield hits Gallup on an intermediate throw, shaking off a fumbled center exchange just a few snaps earlier

Doesn't seem like Allen is going to remove doubts about his accuracy issues. Mayfield is showing that he will have some growing pains transition to playing more under center. 

Archived