New Rule: 15 yard penalty for initiating contact with helmet.

gopherwrestler

1 hour ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Well of course it's doing better in some areas than others but overall, youth participation is down. If it wasn't, the NFL wouldn't be so deliberate in their efforts to reach youth. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2726124-report-shows-continuing-drop-in-high-school-football-players
"
The number of high school football players dropped by 25,901 participants in 2016-17, according to a report by National Federation of State High School Associations."

Sure but the number of girls who played high school football increased by 28 participants. So it's a good news / bad news type deal.

7 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Sure but the number of girls who played high school football increased by 28 participants. So it's a good news / bad news type deal.

haha good one, buddy. I'm starting to dig some of your non-racist posts, man. You're growing on me.

Yeah football is dying. It will never be dead, but the amount of kids that aren't playing the game anymore is staggering. People are terrified of CTE and concussions. There were like 1-2 kids in the school when I was in HS 10ish years ago that had parents that wouldn't let their kids play football. Now there's like 20-30. More kids are gravitating towards basketball. The CYO leagues (catholic grade school football league) around my area that we typically pull kids from are insanely small. Programs that used to have 30-50 kids on the team now have 15. It's bizarre to see some of these powerhouse schools fall apart due to lack of participation.

My friend coached CYO football about 45 minutes away from where I coach now. He told me last year they had 50 kids on the team. This year? Not enough kids to even field a team. One kid got a concussion and the whole thing fell apart. Bizarre how quickly these big schools become starved for players.

I'm going to let my kids play. I have multiple friends and family members that say they won't let theirs do the sport. It's dangerous, sure. But I wouldn't trade my football playing days for anything. I don't have CTE symptoms yet, but my lower body, at 30 years old, mimics that of an 85 year old baseball bat attack victim. No regrets. If my kids want to play football, they're going to be supported in that decision.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah football is dying. It will never be dead, but the amount of kids that aren't playing the game anymore is staggering. People are terrified of CTE and concussions. There were like 1-2 kids in the school when I was in HS 10ish years ago that had parents that wouldn't let their kids play football. Now there's like 20-30. More kids are gravitating towards basketball. The CYO leagues (catholic grade school football league) around my area that we typically pull kids from are insanely small. Programs that used to have 30-50 kids on the team now have 15. It's bizarre to see some of these powerhouse schools fall apart due to lack of participation.

My friend coached CYO football about 45 minutes away from where I coach now. He told me last year they had 50 kids on the team. This year? Not enough kids to even field a team. One kid got a concussion and the whole thing fell apart. Bizarre how quickly these big schools become starved for players.

I'm going to let my kids play. I have multiple friends and family members that say they won't let theirs do the sport. It's dangerous, sure. But I wouldn't trade my football playing days for anything. I don't have CTE symptoms yet, but my lower body, at 30 years old, mimics that of an 85 year old baseball bat attack victim. No regrets. If my kids want to play football, they're going to be supported in that decision.

You say that now with no kids. I mean sure, you can say that you would support them but the minute they decide to stop you'll be a bit relieved that they did.  

edit; And that's coming from a parent that DOES suffer from several concussions and contusions.

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ya You will say that when you son is stumbling around on the field. After  hitting his head with another player. One of my biggest mistake in life was to let my boys play football at a young age or play at all.  Broken teeth, MCL ACL for what Football. Most coaches are from the old school. They could care less about health.  If you think its different now you are crazy.  Like my kid they grew up to average size male who's careers ended in HS.

Sorry its early I didn't read your post all the way through. However you are making my point. You can have the same memories from soccer or Lacrosse. Football  was your choice however the same feelings come from other sports. Memories.

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Ya You will say that when you son is stumbling around on the field. After  hitting his head with another player. One of my biggest mistake in life was to let my boys play football at a young age or play at all.  Broken teeth, MCL ACL for what Football. Most coaches are from the old school. They could care less about health.  If you think its different now you are crazy.  Like my kid they grew up to average size male who's careers ended in HS.

Sorry its early I didn't read your post all the way through. However you are making my point. You can have the same memories from soccer or Lacrosse. Football  was your choice however the same feelings come from other sports. Memories.

Man this hurt my head to try and decipher so early this morning.

I'm not robbing my kids of the opportunity to do something they want to do. I'm not putting my kids in bubble wrap and cutting amazing experiences out of their lives. And Lacrosse is barely a sport. No thanks to considering that a comparable alternate. The bond that football players have with one another is not replicated in other sports other than maybe wrestling or MMA training.

And I'm a coach now. And it is different. We spend a ton of time teaching proper tackling form and making sure your head stays up. Just this year we pulled our starting FS out of the game because he kept ducking his head on tackles. He wasn't missing tackles, but we wanted to save him from injury. To say that coaching hasn't changed is simply false.

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

You say that now with no kids. I mean sure, you can say that you would support them but the minute they decide to stop you'll be a bit relieved that they did.  

edit; And that's coming from a parent that DOES suffer from several concussions and contusions.

I don't think it's a good idea to shelter our kids from potentially harmful situations. Football is a great experience. I know so many people that regret never playing the game and so very few people that regret actually playing the game. When I was 15, I wanted to box. My mom wouldn't let me. I'm still salty about it to this day because who knows? That could have become my passion. I am not going to do that to my kids. I won't force them to do anything, but I'm not going to deny them the opportunity to play the best game on the planet--a game where you'll likely meet your best friends in this world.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Man this hurt my head to try and decipher so early this morning.

I'm not robbing my kids of the opportunity to do something they want to do. I'm not putting my kids in bubble wrap and cutting amazing experiences out of their lives. And Lacrosse is barely a sport. No thanks to considering that a comparable alternate. The bond that football players have with one another is not replicated in other sports other than maybe wrestling or MMA training.

And I'm a coach now. And it is different. We spend a ton of time teaching proper tackling form and making sure your head stays up. Just this year we pulled our starting FS out of the game because he kept ducking his head on tackles. He wasn't missing tackles, but we wanted to save him from injury. To say that coaching hasn't changed is simply false.

Its all dependent on where you are. So its more of a roll of the dice if you get a good coach. But even then its still the most dangerous sports not involving motors. I played football and would not be robbed of nothing if i wasnt able to play, especially if i was allowed to do anything else. 

Personally there is no way im letting my kids play football. Dont even worry about cte that much. Its just generally a dangerous sport. 

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think it's a good idea to shelter our kids from potentially harmful situations. Football is a great experience. I know so many people that regret never playing the game and so very few people that regret actually playing the game. When I was 15, I wanted to box. My mom wouldn't let me. I'm still salty about it to this day because who knows? That could have become my passion. I am not going to do that to my kids. I won't force them to do anything, but I'm not going to deny them the opportunity to play the best game on the planet--a game where you'll likely meet your best friends in this world.

Its literally your job to protect your kids from harm lol i get what your saying about sheltering but its risk reward. There arw clearly dangerous things that no parent should let there kid do. Like alligator wrestling. Passion or not you would be a horrific parent to let your kids do that because you danger want to bubble wrap your kid. 

1 minute ago, eagles101 said:

Its just generally a dangerous sport. 

Read an article not long ago that soccer is actually worse for concussions than football. Apparently "heading the ball" creates consistent subconcussive hits that over time, do more damage than large-scale concussions. Essentially, it's better to be one punch KO'ed than repeatedly jabbed according to this study that I'm too lazy to find. Apparently it's about the amount of times you are exposed to head trauma, not how violent the trauma is.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/01/18/578355877/repeated-head-hits-not-concussions-may-be-behind-a-type-of-chronic-brain-damage

actually here it is...I think. Didn't re-read it, but this appears to be the study.

1 minute ago, eagles101 said:

Its literally your job to protect your kids from harm lol i get what your saying about sheltering but its risk reward. There arw clearly dangerous things that no parent should let there kid do. Like alligator wrestling. Passion or not you would be a horrific parent to let your kids do that because you danger want to bubble wrap your kid. 

Football isn't alligator wrestling, dude. If you want to strap a tampon to your kids, that's not my business. But most people escape the sport without any major issues. If my kid starts to have concussion issues, that's a different story. But I'm not banking on my kids getting CTE from stepping on the football field.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Read an article not long ago that soccer is actually worse for concussions than football. Apparently "heading the ball" creates consistent subconcussive hits that over time, do more damage than large-scale concussions. Essentially, it's better to be one punch KO'ed than repeatedly jabbed according to this study that I'm too lazy to find. Apparently it's about the amount of times you are exposed to head trauma, not how violent the trauma is.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/01/18/578355877/repeated-head-hits-not-concussions-may-be-behind-a-type-of-chronic-brain-damage

actually here it is...I think. Didn't re-read it, but this appears to be the study.

When talking about concussions there pretty much in the dark age but football overall is still far more dangerous. 

Just now, eagles101 said:

When talking about concussions there pretty much in the dark age but football overall is still far more dangerous. 

Maybe, but my point is that the argument of "just play something else" isn't really a great counter. Contact sports are dangerous. But they're more rewarding than they are dangerous IMO. Some people get f'd. That sucks, but it's not a reason to shut something down IMO.

Archived