New Rule: 15 yard penalty for initiating contact with helmet.

gopherwrestler

8 hours ago, Bobikus said:

Good.  Hitting with the crown like that should be gone.

This needs to be reviewable, especially in the case of ejections, and it needs to apply equally to all players, but it's at least an attempt.  Bringing in the NCAA's targeting rule would be better, but the NFL hates following the NCAA's lead on anything so I don't see that happening.

Maybe the MMA and boxing should penalize fighters for taking shots at an opponent's head. I mean sure it limits the sport but we don't want someone in a violent sport to get seriously hurt do we? 

5 hours ago, dtait93 said:

No it shouldn’t. This is football. You are signing up for brain trauma/body deterioration in exchange for large sums of money. Don’t like it? Don’t play. 

This mindset will eventually kill football as the extent of that deterioration is more widely known and understood.

4 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

Games really gonna feel more fixed now..

Judgment calls puts the games in these horrible officials hands..

How many of these will favor the patriots 

What rule change has ever favored the Patriots?  Every rule change in the NFL has been to get rid of something that favored the Patriots. There’s been a catch controversy for years and it took a couple Patriots games to make it an NFL priority 

51 minutes ago, Bobikus said:

This mindset will eventually kill football as the extent of that deterioration is more widely known and understood.

No it won’t because people will do just about anything if the price is right. The deterioration is more widely known and understood now and it did nothing more than lead to a couple players retiring while you still have kids coming out of college in droves signing their names up for the draft.

Many of those same kids grew up in poverish situations and football is their way out of it. Do you really think they’re gonna pass up the opportunity to make millions and take care of their families because it will deteriorate their body? If I had the talent and ability I know I wouldn’t if I was in their situation, and so far all the evidence (even after the neurological studies) agrees with me.

2 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

It has to or it will die...it still might.

No. It won’t. This concussion hysteria has been going on for about a decade. It hasn’t lost the NFL any fans. Parents haven’t stopped letting their kids play in droves. And even if they did, the types of kids we’d be losing wouldn’t be missed. Politicians will never ban the game because it would be career suicide. The game is in no danger over this 

Archived