Broncos trade for Su'a Cravens safety from Redskins

49erurtaza

Love the deal.  Just wish we had passed on resigning Todd Davis.   Cravens actually fits a big need for us.   Davis was an uninspired signing.  This is great for us with the low price (LAR 5th from Talib trade and moving 7 spots in Rd 4-5 2x).   Davis and Marshall can’t be on the field together for passing downs and even on 1st down O’s just exploited our TE/RB lack of coverage from our ILB’s.  This helps a lot there. 

WAS wasn’t getting anything more of value given last year so this is getting max value from a sunk cost for them.  The extra 3rd y year is a big future plus for Elway. 

With our cap situation and the reality that we aren’t legit contenders for 2018 this helps our long term team construction and cap health.   Veldheer was a stopgap but we needed to keep the Qb from getting killed. This is a much stronger long term move.  Tip my cap to Elway here.   

4 minutes ago, Don Roshi said:

It's has to potential of being for two picks and two slight trade downs. Not really the most expensive.

If I understand they basically swapped draft positions in the 4th and 5th rounds which is a a total of 11 spots in both rounds. Then the Broncos included another late 5th rounder.

So the Redskins got a late 5th from Denver and moved up 4 spots in the 4th and 7 spots in the 5th round. Is that right?

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

If I understand they basically swapped draft positions in the 4th and 5th rounds which is a 8 spot flip in each round. Then the Broncos included another late 5th rounder.

So the Redskins got a late 5th from Denver and moved up 8 spots in the 4th and 5th rounds. Is that right?

And a 2020 conditional pick

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Love the deal.  Just wish we had passed on resigning Todd Davis.   Cravens actually fits a big need for us.   Davis was an uninspired signing.  This is great for us with the low price (LAR 5th from Talib trade and moving 7 spots in Rd 4-5 2x).   Davis and Marshall can’t be on the field together for passing downs and even on 1st down O’s just exploited our TE/RB lack of coverage from our ILB’s.  This helps a lot there. 

WAS wasn’t getting anything more of value given last year so this is getting max value from a sunk cost for them.  The extra 3rd y year is a big future plus for Elway. 

With our cap situation and the reality that we aren’t legit contenders for 2018 this helps our long term team construction and cap health.   Veldheer was a stopgap but we needed to keep the Qb from getting killed. This is a much stronger long term move.  Tip my cap to Elway here.   

Are you going to play him as a true SS, or a Dime/Nickel LB?  I hope you have a role for him as a true starting SS; otherwise, expect a lot of whinging and threats of retirement.  That might not even help, since there was a lot of whinging and threats of retirement even when we moved him to the position he wanted to play since being drafted.

28 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

If I understand they basically swapped draft positions in the 4th and 5th rounds which is a a total of 11 spots in both rounds. Then the Broncos included another late 5th rounder.

So the Redskins got a late 5th from Denver and moved up 4 spots in the 4th and 7 spots in the 5th round. Is that right?

26 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

And a 2020 conditional pick

We have to make the playoffs.   Then they get a 6th.

So....not sweating that lol.

Net price - 11 spots move-down between the 4th/5th round swaps...and 5.163, LAR's from the Talib deal.   If you want to get technical, yes, 2020 conditional pick, but the likelihood of that is incredibly low (and if we make it, late 6th is a good problem to have).

If his mind and focus is on NFL Football, then I like the pick. Will be a good addition to the roster.

We've given him what he wanted which is a move away from Washington. Let's see what's he prepared to give us on the field. 

2 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

If his mind and focus is on NFL Football, then I like the pick. Will be a good addition to the roster.

We've given him what he wanted which is a move away from Washington. Let's see what's he prepared to give us on the field. 

I mean, it's easy to say this was Sua not liking Washington.  But he quit on his teammates at USC as well - he went AWOL for three days IIRC.  He seemed more interested in hanging out with Mia Khalifa than playing football last year.  Still, I hope he gets his head on straight and helps you guys get to the playoffs (for the 6th round pick).

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Redskins certainly got more than I would've expected for a guy who quit on the team and was out of it for a year...

Right? But whatever. The Redskins could use those additional picks with the holes they need to fill. 

Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I mean, it's easy to say this was Sua not liking Washington.  But he quit on his teammates at USC as well - he went AWOL for three days IIRC.  He seemed more interested in hanging out with Mia Khalifa than playing football last year.  Still, I hope he gets his head on straight and helps you guys get to the playoffs (for the 6th round pick).

Then he has to realise this is his 3rd and probably his last chance.

You decide to walk away from another team and it's fair to say you've got a reputation. One that NFL teams will likely steer clear from.

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Redskins certainly got more than I would've expected for a guy who quit on the team and was out of it for a year...

WAS got max value for the situation, for sure.  The reason for this is pretty simple - with his NFI status for 2018, he has 3 really cheap years on his rookie deal still left.   Given we know he can at the very least fulfill the pass coverage role, and could play a hybrid role, he could have been waived - but someone would have likely taken a shot.   Our problem is that we aren't a premium destination anymore, so controlling the rights to avoid having him go to FA, is in our interests - especially with our 2019 cap health very much in question - we're 30th out of 32 teams - and even if we cut 4-5 vets who are of iffy value relative to their salary, we'd be a bottom 10 team.

Our need to cost-control Cravens and also not let him get to FA give we aren't a premium destination certainly helped WAS out.   In the end, both teams got what they needed. 

Archived