2018 Draft Thread v.2 - DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Was watching Path to the Draft the other day and Daniel Jeremiah mentioned Taven Bryan as a potential surprise pick for us at #10.

While it wouldn't be my ideal pick, I honestly wouldn't mind taking him over Vea. He fits more what we need.

Big TB fan, if we’d trade back he’d be a great pick. 

On 3/31/2018 at 11:55 AM, Rich7sena said:

I struggle to see the appeal with Phillips. He has no pass rush moves and little push in the run game. Double teams easily move him off the ball. To me, he's a rotational 3-tech on run downs.

Woah how many Stanford games have you watched? 

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Woah how many Stanford games have you watched? 

I have watched zero Stanford games. In fact, I can't remember the last time I watched a college football game start to finish. There are plenty of cut-ups of Harrison on YouTube, though.

It's not like my assessment of Phillips is unique. The general book on him is he's a quality run defender with a limited pass rush repertoire. That said, he doesn't displace the line of scrimmage like Vea and he's not getting pressure and penetration like Hurst or Bryan. Both PFF and NFL.com's Lance Zierline came to the same conclusions I did (although they still rate him relatively highly):

https://imgur.com/AXkDR1r

https://imgur.com/fGuErZ1

On 01/04/2018 at 3:54 PM, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Big TB fan, if we’d trade back he’d be a great pick. 

How good could he be? Sometimes he looks unplayable. I don't watch college football during the season so don't know exactly why he isn't being viewed as a top 12 or so pick. Was it consistency?

57 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I have watched zero Stanford games. In fact, I can't remember the last time I watched a college football game start to finish. There are plenty of cut-ups of Harrison on YouTube, though.

It's not like my assessment of Phillips is unique. The general book on him is he's a quality run defender with a limited pass rush repertoire. That said, he doesn't displace the line of scrimmage like Vea and he's not getting pressure and penetration like Hurst or Bryan. Both PFF and NFL.com's Lance Zierline came to the same conclusions I did (although they still rate him relatively highly):

https://imgur.com/AXkDR1r

https://imgur.com/fGuErZ1

Watch the Stanford vs Washington game then tell me who looked better btw him and vea?

Love made vea look like a 2nd rounder

Cut ups only show so much imo

7 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Watch the Stanford vs Washington game then tell me who looked better btw him and vea?

Love made vea look like a 2nd rounder

Cut ups only show so much imo

Cut-ups show every snap a defensive lineman plays. I don't know what else I'm supposed to see. BTW, Vea vs. Stanford is some of the best defensive line footage I've ever seen.

giphy.gif

Doesn't make the tackle (he's not supposed to), but blows up the play by ending the careers of both the center and fullback..

giphy.gif

Throws #73 into the ground like he weights 100 lbs.

giphy.gif

Sacks both #64 and #3.

giphy.gif

The more I think about it, maybe #73 just isn't cut out for this line of work.

And there are so much more I didn't bother to GIF. Just because Love had a big game doesn't mean Vea didn't dominate; he's one of 11 players on defense.

Vea's game against Stanford is a somewhat a throw away for me because there's no way he can do this in the NFL. I put more stock into games against legit o-lines and o-lineman than against future nuclear physicists, lawyers, doctors, and computer scientists. But, ultimately, that's what you want to see from a top 10 pick: make it look like Pros vs. Joes when you play Joes. Vea did get "pancaked" just short of a handful of times in this game, but I only saw one occasion where it might of affected the outcome of the play.

But, I'll just let others decide. All their snaps are on YouTube from this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpYPogTCTGM <-Vita Vea vs. Stanford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE0s9HMORRw <-Harrison Phillips vs. Washington

just imagine drafting Edmunds. 

Our linebackers would be a strength with Whitehead, Edmunds, Irvin... 

Our DBS look good on paper Melvin, Conely, Joseph, Obi  all young and hungry add in Gilchrist

our Des Mack and Edwards.. Edwards would need to step it up to his rookie year

our defense would be so exciting. I could see Edmunds flying around causing mayhem!

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Cut-ups show every snap a defensive lineman plays. I don't know what else I'm supposed to see. BTW, Vea vs. Stanford is some of the best defensive line footage I've ever seen.

giphy.gif

Doesn't make the tackle (he's not supposed to), but blows up the play by ending the careers of both the center and fullback..

giphy.gif

Throws #73 into the ground like he weights 100 lbs.

giphy.gif

Sacks both #64 and #3.

giphy.gif

The more I think about it, maybe #73 just isn't cut out for this line of work.

And there are so much more I didn't bother to GIF. Just because Love had a big game doesn't mean Vea didn't dominate; he's one of 11 players on defense.

Vea's game against Stanford is a somewhat a throw away for me because there's no way he can do this in the NFL. I put more stock into games against legit o-lines and o-lineman than against future nuclear physicists, lawyers, doctors, and computer scientists. But, ultimately, that's what you want to see from a top 10 pick: make it look like Pros vs. Joes when you play Joes. Vea did get "pancaked" just short of a handful of times in this game, but I only saw one occasion where it might of affected the outcome of the play.

But, I'll just let others decide. All their snaps are on YouTube from this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpYPogTCTGM <-Vita Vea vs. Stanford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE0s9HMORRw <-Harrison Phillips vs. Washington

Cut ups don't show stuff like him coming off the field a lot from being gassed. I question his stamina and him being a 3 down player. Also question him defaulting to brute force over technique way too often. Does he even have technique outside of the bull rush? Being his height with short arms means he leans too much which leaves him on the ground way too much. 

I don't hate him at 10 but meh I wanted to see more growth in 2017 

12 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Hi guys

We're voting on Oakland's pick at 10 in the draft section, it would be great to have your thoughts and votes. 

Thanks, 

GFW

If this is the board who would you guys take? 

Without a trade down, I'd think Ward would easily be the pick. 

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Cut ups don't show stuff like him coming off the field a lot from being gassed. I question his stamina and him being a 3 down player. Also question him defaulting to brute force over technique way too often. Does he even have technique outside of the bull rush? Being his height with short arms means he leans too much which leaves him on the ground way too much. 

I don't hate him at 10 but meh I wanted to see more growth in 2017 

Cut-ups show down and distance and game time. You can easily discern when a player gets pulled. Even knowing Vea won't be in on every down, I'd still take his relative part time excellence over Phillips' full-time mediocrity.

Having an elite trait goes a long way in the NFL. Vea can get in better shape, but Phillips will never be as big and strong. Vea already has twice the pass rush moves Phillips does. In the same game, Vea shows both a right hand and left hand club, and a swim move to go with his dominant bull rush. We've also seen Vea chain his moves with relative regularity. Still, his bull rush alone would give at least half of the starting NFL interior linemen fits on a down to down basis. His arms won't be a problem in the NFL. Brandon Williams, Aaron Donald, Mike Daniels, Geno Atkins, Jurrell Casey, etc. all have sub 33" arms.

Your criticisms of Vea ring as odd considering I assume you're high on Phillips; who is comparatively mundane mundane.

Archived