Vikings extend Joseph 4yr $50 mil($31 in guarantees)

daineraider

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000826057/article/linval-joseph-vikings-strike-50-million-extension

Vikes getting contracts done early this year.  Thats 3 big and important deals out of the way.

Also interesting that several guys with 2 years left on their deals have been extended this offseason.  Joseph was already signed through 2018 before this deal.

Setting a bad precedent by extending players with 2 years left on their deal...But they did need to extend most of their guys so I commend them for getting the deal done and not jerking around for 2 years like some front offices.

7 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Setting a bad precedent by extending players with 2 years left on their deal...But they did need to extend most of their guys so I commend them for getting the deal done and not jerking around for 2 years like some front offices.

I dont have an issue with guys being extended as long as they have outplayed their current contract.  Antonio Brown is a great example.  Signed a decent deal for 5-6 years, but outplayed that contract 10x over.  

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't provide much interior pass rush does he?

Probably more so than other NTs. He's not here to be a pass rusher though. I don't think any NT has that role.

Here's his stats. He's a great player for us and a key piece to Mike Zimmer's defense:

http://www.nfl.com/player/linvaljoseph/496802/profile

37 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

By extending player's like Griffen and Joseph early, it's going to allow the Vikings to get the guaranteed money out of the way early, and free up more space in the future for players like Eric a Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Anthony Barr, Stefon Diggs, etc. 

32 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

By extending player's like Griffen and Joseph early, it's going to allow the Vikings to get the guaranteed money out of the way early, and free up more space in the future for players like Eric a Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Anthony Barr, Stefon Diggs, etc. 

True but paying them early sets a bad precedent for negotiations down the road. Once you start paying one person early, everyone wants to get paid early. 

But that really won't matter until 1-2 years from now, How do you think the vikings will handle Sam Bradford's contract, Tag him or let him walk and see if Teddy B. is ready?

6 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Probably the most important person in Zimmer's defense.

*Insert sarcastic comment about Mike Zimmer being the most important player on defense* 

Joeseph's a great player, but he's not even close to the most important player on defense.

15 hours ago, OleXmad said:

*Insert sarcastic comment about Mike Zimmer being the most important player on defense* 

Joeseph's a great player, but he's not even close to the most important player on defense.

Try telling that to the Head Coach. 

1 hour ago, PackyAttacky said:

Do they enough money for Bradford still or does this indicate that they might be going with Teddy down the road?

If he's extended, it won't be until the end of Year.

I know Zimmer loves Teddy, and probably wants him to be the guy but if he's not healthy, we have to roll with Sam.:|

I appreciate that the Vikes FO have been aggressive in getting some of their key veterans locked up long term. Griffen, Rhodes and Joseph should all be significant contributors for the next 3-5 years.

going forward, it will be a challenge to keep Hunter, Kendricks, Barr and Diggs. All will want to be paid, decisions will have to be made but at least there isn't any risk of losing the three recently signed vets.

and then of course is the QB situation, which will need to be addressed in 2018.

On 8/5/2017 at 3:24 PM, OleXmad said:

True but paying them early sets a bad precedent for negotiations down the road. Once you start paying one person early, everyone wants to get paid early. 

But that really won't matter until 1-2 years from now, How do you think the vikings will handle Sam Bradford's contract, Tag him or let him walk and see if Teddy B. is ready?

Everyone wants to get paid early regardless of whether it's happened previously or not.  I'd argue that it sets a good precedent, because the players around the league will now know that if you do what you're supposed to do and do it well, the organization will reward you for it.  In the end, players often just want to be paid fairly, and in this deal, as with the others, they've done so.  While the players could have had a bigger deal if they had waited, they can just get the money now and make up the difference in their investments (if done properly).  

Archived