Dolphins Sign Jay Cutler

CWood21

2 hours ago, coors said:

As soon as I realized that Gase and Cutler had history, I knew Kap was going to be out. 

According to reports, he was never in. There was never any talk, and they never reached out. One tweet I saw said that if Cutler hadn't worked out, they would have turned to Christian Ponder. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

According to reports, he was never in. There was never any talk, and they never reached out. One tweet I saw said that if Cutler hadn't worked out, they would have turned to Christian Ponder. 

Beyond sad.

I feel like this is a good signing.  Dolphins won't be legitimate contenders, but at the same time, with Cutler, they'll be able to compete for another playoff shot, and playoff experience is pretty significant.  Virtually guarantees another two losses to the Patriots, but if their defense continues to improve, I see 14 possible wins.  Not saying I see them winning 14 games, but I see 14 games on their schedule they could possibly win.  I think they'll probably end up with 9 or 10 wins. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

So people keep talking about Gase and Cutler in Chicago but, that team ranked in the mid-20s in most offensive stats. 

Go look at who he played with. His entire supporting cast was hurt on and off all year. His #1 receiver for half the year was Eddie Royal for crying out loud. And it gets worse when you look at the horrific o-line he dealt with. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Also, with Colin wearing that Field Castro shirt...he wasn't going to have a stint in Miami. 

36 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:
2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

So people keep talking about Gase and Cutler in Chicago but, that team ranked in the mid-20s in most offensive stats. 

Go look at who he played with. His entire supporting cast was hurt on and off all year. His #1 receiver for half the year was Eddie Royal for crying out loud. And it gets worse when you look at the horrific o-line he dealt with. 

So what? People make it out to be some kind of resurgence but his performance was barely mediocre. Regardless of supporting cast, that is still true. 

13 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

So what? People make it out to be some kind of resurgence but his performance was barely mediocre. Regardless of supporting cast, that is still true. 

So a QB should be able to put up monster stats regardless of the following:

1. 1 starting quality WR for only 8 games all year;

2. A RB that was banged up all year and terrible backups

3. A sieve of an Oline;

4. A defense that couldn't get off the field.

Makes sense to me.

23 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:
38 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

So a QB should be able to put up monster stats regardless of the following:

1. 1 starting quality WR for only 8 games all year;

2. A RB that was banged up all year and terrible backups

3. A sieve of an Oline;

4. A defense that couldn't get off the field.

Makes sense to me.

That's not my point at all. My point is he DIDNT, but everyone is making out like he DID. It seems we agree that he was a hair under mediocre that season. You say it is because of his supporting cast, thats fine, because the reason doesnt matter. He didn't have some resurgent year people claim, the reason is unimportant. 

This makes me extremely happy.  I am now excited to watch some Dolphins games this season, where i previously was not.  I hope Cutler throws the ball everywhere with reckless abandon, and then does funny faces and stuff after.  It may not be winning football, but as a fan of another team...it's just pure entertainment, and i was deeply saddened at the loss of that when he previously retired.

13 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

That's not my point at all. My point is he DIDNT, but everyone is making out like he DID. It seems we agree that he was a hair under mediocre that season. You say it is because of his supporting cast, thats fine, because the reason doesnt matter. He didn't have some resurgent year people claim, the reason is unimportant. 

I don't agree with that premise at all.  He was, at worst, average on the face of his stats alone and well above average when you take all those factors I listed into consideration.  Nobody is claiming that he's going to be a world-beater, but his 2015 was perfectly acceptable as a starting QB.  The rest of that Bears team was a mess.

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

He was 19th in yards and TDs that season. He was ok, but I would not qualify that as a resurgent year under Gase. 

Comparing his numbers to other QBs is not a counter-argument to a resurgent year, the implication of a resurgence being Cutler bouncing back or achieving new pinnacle play.

Cutler has spent 11 years in the NFL, his 2015 numbers were his:

Best QB rating
Best TD:INT ratio
2nd best completion %
4th most yards
2nd highest YPA

That doesn't looking like a career year to you?

Archived