Saints sign WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

37 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

That should be a no-brainer.  Match it today.

I think this is fair.  Gives them a couple more years to evaluate Cam before deciding if he's worthy of a long term deal.

Protects them a bit if he has a huge 2018.

9 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think this is fair.  Gives them a couple more years to evaluate Cam before deciding if he's worthy of a long term deal.

Protects them a bit if he has a huge 2018.

Way I read it basically it ends up with them guaranteeing him $5.4M for this year for the right to be able to keep him for next year at about $4.2M. In a market where Albert Wilson just got 3/24 with 14 guaranteed that’s a damn steal. To be fair though Wilson was an UFA though.

It’s really a totally fair bridge deal for both sides - if Cam blows up he hits UFA at 27, and if he’s a disaster he still gets $5.4M. The Bears pay a bit of a premium over the 2nd round tender but in doing so buy themselves a potential 2nd year at what may well be a discount rate. Meredith got a fair shot to gauge his market value without it being dictated to him by the tender. That has value in the locker room IMO, same as it should have with the Fuller deal. We have the cap flexibility right now to be able to be able to make moves like that that buy good will. Kudos to Pace for doing that. 

39 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I could see them letting Meredith walk. I don't think much of Greg Gabriel but he said the Bears were anticipating more in the 3.5/year range. If true, it could happen, but that makes WR a need again.

Gabriel said HE thought 3-3.5M, not the team. 

3_CBCD34_F-_BB6_B-42_A2-_B125-_A7894_AA6

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

To me this is an easy match. We need Meredith in the 2-3 role and at 5/season it is super reasonable.

If we let him walk over 2-3 million I would be really upset.

Me, too. It wouldn't make much sense. 

Archived