Saints sign WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

7 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

You know this move isn’t THAT surprising seeing as how coaches like Andy Reid and Doug Pederson have largely taken a platoon approach to the WR position.

Granted, Meredith would have been part of that platoon, but the impression I’ve always gotten is that their system wants to rely on multiple average WRs rather than one or two receivers who are or could be exceptional.

Why would you get rid of Meredith unless you think he can't play. There is zero guarantee we will have the WR we want in 2nd or 4th. This is just a bad move. 

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It is opening a serious need before the draft.

That 2nd round pick that was going to go towards the OL, now looks like it is going to go towards WR.

Over 3 million dollars, idiotic.

You assume it was going to be an OL. Perhaps Nagy & Hiestand like Morgan far more than you do. Or like the depth of the OL class as immediate contributors. We still don’t have all the cards here. 

@AZBearsFan it sucks for him because he's a Chicago kid, played high school and college ball in the state, grew up a Bears fan IIRC.

@WindyCity I think you're being a bit melodramatic. There is only one football and, IMO, these dudes are ahead of him in getting looks:

1. Allen Robinson

2. Trey Burton

3. Taylor Gabriel

4. Tarik Cohen

5. Adam Shaheen

6. Kevin White

This 2nd round "has to be a WR" talk is nonsense to me. Maybe we'll throw a 4th rounder at the position, or maybe use both 4ths to trade up, or maybe trade down in the 1st or 2nd round.

What was Paces thought process with the original round tender in general here?

Did he really cheap out and didnt give him a 2nd round tender to save $1 million?

Releasing Sitton, keeping Sims, the tender and not matching Meredith on that offer all look questionable.

With $29 million in cap space what is Pace waiting for?

And after this decision Pace is now in all the meatballs' dog houses again....hahaha

In all seriousness I'm a little disappointed but the Bears staff and their doctors know more about Meredith's knee than any other team out there.

I'm not all that worried.  Cam was a UDFA find by Pace and Nagy knows the types of players he wants/needs in this offense.  This team will be alright.

2 minutes ago, ColGerBear said:

What was Paces thought process with the original round tender in general here?

Did he really cheap out and didnt give him a 2nd round tender to save $1 million?

Releasing Sitton, keeping Sims, the tender and not matching Meredith on that offer all look questionable.

With $29 million in cap space what is Pace waiting for?

You summarized it best. These moves just don't make a ton of sense on paper right now. It's as if we are creating draft needs for no reason. 

The whole “he’s a Chicago kid” thing is so irreveleant in the business of the NFL.

I get people being mad for feeling that he was a low-cost, low-risk signing, or because he was in-house talent that was let to walk, but the whole hometown thing matters significantly less in the NFL than the fans want it to.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

And after this decision Pace is now in all the meatballs' dog houses again....hahaha

In all seriousness I'm a little disappointed but the Bears staff and their doctors know more about Meredith's knee than any other team out there.

I'm not all that worried.  Cam was a UDFA find by Pace and Nagy knows the types of players he wants/needs in this offense.  This team will be alright.

I'm personally looking for logical decision making. If his knee was such a concern the Saints would not have made an offer to him. I agree that the Bears staff knows more about his knee but signing him for 2 years would not jeopardize our cap at all and seems like a safe thing to do when we have our #1 WR coming off an ACL.

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

I was tweeting with Greg Gabriel and he was not that shocked about this move. He thought 5MM was too high for Cam and that is not a proven WR just a one year producer. 

He's right.  I like Cam, but with that contract you are paying for just 1 decent year of production and banking on returning to that form coming off a devastating injury.

10 minutes ago, G08 said:

@AZBearsFan it sucks for him because he's a Chicago kid, played high school and college ball in the state, grew up a Bears fan IIRC.

@WindyCity I think you're being a bit melodramatic. There is only one football and, IMO, these dudes are ahead of him in getting looks:

1. Allen Robinson

2. Trey Burton

3. Taylor Gabriel

4. Tarik Cohen

5. Adam Shaheen

6. Kevin White

This 2nd round "has to be a WR" talk is nonsense to me. Maybe we'll throw a 4th rounder at the position, or maybe use both 4ths to trade up, or maybe trade down in the 1st or 2nd round.

What if Robinson gets injured?

This team has routinely had WR depth issues. They have routinely had to play losers like Belamy, McBride, and Gentry.

They have for 3 straight years relied on Kevin White and it has blown up in their face.

There depth is still garbage. They have a roster with 2 NFL Wrs on it.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

What if Robinson gets injured?

You can say this about ANY position in the NFL, Windy. Just because you feel like applying it to WR doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Archived