Saints sign WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

9 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

I’d put the title to my vehicle Kevin White is a top 3 WR on this roster regardless of your hate. 

After week 1 when he is injured?

it isn’t hate. It is realism. Pace’s need for White to be something has been a serious problem each of the last 3 years.

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

People are talking about Kevin White as a key depth piece after playing 5 games in 3 seasons.

Options are options.

You're right but the offseason is not yet finished.  We can expect more depth to be added in the next couple of months.

If the new offensive coach you just hired doesn't see Cam as a fit in this offense with all other things considered then are we really going to argue against him until proven otherwise? 

If Pace and Nagy both really wanted Cam back then they would have just paid the extra $1M or so with the 2nd round tender, don't you think?

Just now, topwop1 said:

You're right but the offseason is not yet finished.  We can expect more depth to be added in the next couple of months.

If the new offensive coach you just hired doesn't see Cam as a fit in this offense with all other things considered then are we really going to argue against him until proven otherwise? 

If Pace and Nagy both really wanted Cam back then they would have just paid the extra $1M or so with the 2nd round tender, don't you think?

Not keeping Cam is fine.

Opening up a need right before the draft is my issue.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Not keeping Cam is fine.

Opening up a need right before the draft is my issue.

This would mean something to me if we didn't have a 'U' TE that is going to get 80 receptions this season, or a scat back who should see 40+ targets, or a TE who could be a focal point of the offense for all we know at this point.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

This would mean something to me if we didn't have a 'U' TE that is going to get 80 receptions this season, or a scat back who should see 40+ targets, or a TE who could be a focal point of the offense for all we know at this point.

Major projections on both Burton and Shaheen.

I am not really into massive projections without having insurance/backup options.

That is a very Rosie outlook, in a league where things rarely work out that cleanly.

1. Robinson

2. Gabriel

3. Draft Pick (2nd or 4th)

4. Inman, at least we know he can play and  line up on the outside

5. Bellamy

6. White, cross our fingers and hope he can beat out the draft pick

That to me would be reasonable. 2nd round would give me more confidence in the player handling 40-50 targets. Perhaps they throw 2 day 2 picks are WR and hope one clicks.

Really hate this move (or lack of move)....

In my mind this now forces an early offensive skill position move:

My top 3 options:

Option A) Trade up and get Barkley-RB....  Barkley will be used 60/40 as RB/WR... Howard 90/10 as RB/WR Cohen as 60/40 WR/RB

Basically between Cohen and Barkley's on field time (and I think Cohen is a limited snap player) they average out to be the WR we are now missing snap wise, but considerably more talented than Cam (and I liked Cam)..

The good side is it changes our RB game by adding dynamic receiving threat, enables us to brutally pound the ball when ahead on score with 2.5 stud RBs, and do some pretty crazy misdirection/mismatch packages where Cohen AND Barkley are both in the backfield and head opposite directions. Good luck linebackers.

The downside of course it involves a trade up AND probably keeping Howard. That ain't gonna be cheap, and picks are already at a premium.

Option B) Trade DOWN in the first and target Ridley-WR

Ridley's combine sucked, and I don't think he's physical enough to be "THE GUY" but the KC offense really didn't rely on one guy, and Ridley does have a fairly elite ability to create seperation as well as open field speed... He won't be the "the guy" but I do think he could be a fairly top tier #2 guy and force opposing defenses into a "pick your poison" situation where Ridley is going to produce bigtime if they focus on Robinson, and Robinson is going to go beastmode if they dedicate to shut down Ridley.

The good side of this is that Ridley is imo probably better than Meredith was to begin with, and a great scheme fit... while also giving us a real target to trade down and get another pick later in the draft...

The bad side of this is that we're burning up our first rounder to do this. I like Ridley, but there's an opportunity cost here in using it on a WR... because we created a hole we didn't even need to create (much like dumping Sitton this year)

Option C) Trade down in the 2nd and target DJ Chark-WR

This I think is the most likely (though I don't think Chark will be Pace's target, as much as I just happen to like Chark).... Chark comes in down the depth chart, and isn't expected to do all that much early, but should still have some value as a deep threat as he develops. The flip side is that he's imo underrated overall and could be a contributor if need be.

Option D) Very late draft pick (or UDFA) Trinnamon-WR

I have a feeling this kid is a late round target regardless.. Elite level athleticism ( 4.30 40, 40.5" vertical jump, 12' broad jump ) and we brought him in for a visit. Played at BYU and pulled in fairly disappointing stats.... but his athletic upside could make him worth some effort

6ft 190lbs

24 rec, 305yrds, 12.5 average, 45LNG, 0 TD as a receiver

2 car, 9 yards, 4.5 average, 5 long, 0 TD as a RB

28 rec, 321yrds, 11.5average, 75long, 1 TD as a WR

The good is that he costs almost nothing 6th, 7th, or even UDFA..... and there's no risk for us involved...

The bad is that he's a super long shot to be anything, and this isn't exactly a solid plan to replace a fairly proven Cam Meredith.

Gotta be mostly an offensive fit or cost-benefit metric driving this decision as a team that sticks with broken-stick White would have little problem keeping a guy who showed up for his physical in a wheel chair.

If this decision was based on White playing most of the season than it was a poor decision. Three bad injuries isn't just bad luck as some guys just don't know how to protect themselves or are just brittle. 1st overall draft pick Greg Olsen of the Trail Blazers had bad luck breaking bones, sometimes just trotting down the court. Year after year after year.

Perhaps, Nagy and crew think of WR as the new 'RB' position. Just plug and play with enough viable WR.

1 minute ago, Epyon said:

R

Option B) Trade DOWN in the first and target Ridley-WR

Ridley's combine sucked, and I don't think he's physical enough to be "THE GUY" but the KC offense really didn't rely on one guy, and Ridley does have a fairly elite ability to create seperation as well as open field speed... He won't be the "the guy" but I do think he could be a fairly top tier #2 guy and force opposing defenses into a "pick your poison" situation where Ridley is going to produce bigtime if they focus on Robinson, and Robinson is going to go beastmode if they dedicate to shut down Ridley.

The good side of this is that Ridley is imo probably better than Meredith was to begin with, and a great scheme fit... while also giving us a real target to trade down and get another pick later in the draft...

The bad side of this is that we're burning up our first rounder to do this. I like Ridley, but there's an opportunity cost here in using it on a WR... because we created a hole we didn't even need to create (much like dumping Sitton this year)

In an earlier "who don't you want the Bears to draft first" I joking said the 14th rated Center. As an afterthought, I almost went back and posted Ridley, but figured he was not really on the radar. Sheesh.

At least you have him taken later than 8 and with some justifying notes.

Interesting and surprising move.  Kind of a downer because Meredith was a high potential guy that had worked his way from undrafted to best WR on the team in 2017 and there was plenty of space to sign him to a reasonable deal.

I can kind of understand.  Pace had same overall concerns as everyone when Robinson was signed.  It's difficult to go into a year with 3 of your top guys at one position coming off major injuries.  Looks like Meredith was odd man out.  

Still Wright, Inman and Meredith were all relatively cheap to resign.  Could have picked one from that group.

You have major FA receiving investments in Allen, Gabriel and Burton.  Allen has proved he can be a great WR, but is coming off a down year prior to his injury.  Gabriel and Burton are gambles on potential and were not the preferred starter on their respective teams.  So that is a little worrying.  Tough to take a teams 2nd choice and then say hey we are going for a championship with this guy.   

You spent a surprise 2nd round pick at TE, presumably the Y now, because nobody thinks Shaheen can play U which is a big change from when he was drafted when everyone was saying he was receiver first and a blocker second.  Is Burton better than Shaheen?  People seem to assume he is because of his contract, I'm not so sure.  

Not having another reliable receiver really limits personnel groupings which is why not resigning Meredith is such a bummer.  Bears last year were a joke and very predictable because no one was worried about 3 WR+ sets and Bears almost never lined up in 3 WR+.   Not sure how they are going to line up in 3 WR+ as it stands without White or Gentry stepping up this year.   Gentry reportedly did great at training camp and still kept getting cut, like there was nothing he could possibly do to impress.  Pretty sure he is still an after thought.  

Bellamy and Sims resigned were head scratchers.  I hate signing guys for special teams.  Everybody should be eyed as a potential starter except kickers.

1 minute ago, 51to54 said:

In an earlier "who don't you want the Bears to draft first" I joking said the 14th rated Center. As an afterthought, I almost went back and posted Ridley, but figured he was not really on the radar. Sheesh.

At least you have him taken later than 8 and with some justifying notes.

I was high on him before the combine, but I expected significantly better athleticism... I still think he's far and away the best wr of the class... But yeah had to remove him from my board at 8....i I think he's a guy you look for at like 20 or so, now. So it'd be a pretty big trade back. 

Just super frustrated with pace in general over this move, however... First with Sitton and now with Cam, we're creating holes in positions that we now have to fill

I love the hot-takes from some fans talking about this move creating another need as if we were a contender without several holes to still fill anyhow.

We still have needs all over the place. Do people really expect a team that has won 14 total games in the last 3 years to be fixed in one off-season? I mean, let's be real, any team is lucky if they get 2 productive players in a single draft. 

Archived