Saints sign WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

56 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

This thread is crazy haha....we invested heavily in 3 TE's( cash and a 2nd rndr), and heavily in WR's( cash and a 1st) , that's 6 skill players who will need snaps/playing time to justify their cost and NONE of them play special teams. That's not even mentioning our pro bowl RB and leading pass catcher last year at RB. Basically the only choice was choosing between an injured 1st rounder and an injured undrafted guy....just on pride alone you have to pick the 1st rounder.....honestly if the Bears released White and the Saints signed him, who would you feel more bad about if they had a breakout year??

I think this is a unique position the Bears are in where they actually need their back end WR's to be MORE special teamers than actual offensive weapons. Like if Eddie Jackson starts at FS who is our returner even?? I think the Bears obviously draft a WR late but I would guess even then it would be almost entirely based on ST value

End of the day we just don't have room for 3 rehabbing WR's who don't play ST

Shaheen played a good amount of snaps on ST's last year and Burton has played most of his snaps on ST's throughout his entire career(an aspect that I don't think most fans have considered and are just looking at him as only an option on offense) and I highly doubt that Sims is even still on the team after the top cuts in August. I don't know why I keep seeing his name being brought up by so many people.  Cohen WAS the ST's last year (I know most are expected him to be a split-WR but his place in the offense is not going to change all that much from last year, if any at all, if we're strictly using KC's week 13 and beyond -- when Nagy took over play-calling -- as a baseline.

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I know he’s most likely not on Pace’s board but personally I just think he to good not to take a risk in the 4th if he even makes it there. 

You're echoing what I have been saying for months. Thank you. If you're going to swing for the fences, doing it with a midround pick is what makes it such a minor risk. I'm doing the "You Be the GM" thread draft day again, and bet money if he it there in the 4th that I don't ****** him up.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Some of you really think Cam Meredith is a top of the line WR, don’t you? We are talking about Cam Meredith.

In regards to him being in NO, Brees throws the ball all over the yard (though last year was the first <600 pass attempt season he has had in almost a decade). Last year there were two guys who got 100+ targets. One was a WR, the other was Kamara. Then the third highest target was Mark Ingram, then Ginn with 71 and 70 targets. I could absolutely see Kamara getting about the same number of targets and Meredith eating into Ingrams and Ginn's targets to get 75. Kamara could be more of a 3 down back (rather than splitting so much) and Meredith on the outside only keeps a safety or LB on him, where he ALWAYS has the physical advantage. Coleman isn't going to challenge him either.

He isn't a one, but let's be realistic here. With Loggains calling plays, a scrub trio of Cutler, Hoyer, and Barkely, and while only in his 2nd year as a WR he put up almost 900 yards and 4 TDs, outperforming Jeffery in multiple games. Now of course he isn't a star or as good as Jeffrey, but can you blame people for wanting that level of guy to be depth for the next two years? Especially when Burton and Gabriel are pretty much projection players.

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Shaheen played a good amount of snaps on ST's last year and Burton has played most of his snaps on ST's throughout his entire career(an aspect that I don't think most fans have considered and are just looking at him as only an option on offense) and I highly doubt that Sims is even still on the team after the top cuts in August. I don't know why I keep seeing his name being brought up by so many people.  Cohen WAS the ST's last year (I know most are expected him to be a split-WR but his place in the offense is not going to change all that much from last year, if any at all, if we're strictly using KC's week 13 and beyond -- when Nagy took over play-calling -- as a baseline.

Starting from the top.....I don't think Shaheen played majority ST snaps if we aren't including just basic blocking on EXPS/FG....don't know where to look this up but I don't remember him on any coverage units......Burton was a special teamer for sure but in this scenario we would be paying him a ton to possibly be injured, while Meredith, our 3rd/4th WR, is simply only used in that role?

As for Cohen, cool we can use him to return but legit who is hitting people on ST? .....Also who is his backup returner even??? Is he returning punts AND kicks???

I sort of get you but the fact is we just didn't have another need for a WR who wouldn't contribute on ST.

Choice was between White and Meredith and we chose White along time ago when we kept Sims( we passed the deadline to cut him and save money)

5 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Starting from the top.....I don't think Shaheen played majority ST snaps if we aren't including just basic blocking on EXPS/FG....don't know where to look this up but I don't remember him on any coverage units......Burton was a special teamer for sure but in this scenario we would be paying him a ton to possibly be injured, while Meredith, our 3rd/4th WR, is simply only used in that role?

As for Cohen, cool we can use him to return but legit who is hitting people on ST? .....Also who is his backup returner even??? Is he returning punts AND kicks???

I sort of get you but the fact is we just didn't have another need for a WR who wouldn't contribute on ST.

Choice was between White and Meredith and we chose White along time ago when we kept Sims( we passed the deadline to cut him and save money)

Shaheen played 25% of his snaps on ST's and ST's plays a big part in a teams success so don't undermine the positions(whether they are a returner, gunner, blocker, etc).

I get your point with White (to a point) and just to be clear on my part here.... I'm not counting on White for anything. To me, he is pretty much a pair of dice that happens to still be on the books for 2018 ONLY because of the rookie contracts. Anything that he does (good or bad) means zero to me. If he blows up and has a tremendous year, that's great for us! If not, so what...

As far the rest of your post. Hold on a sec, before we get too far off-subject here....forget about the money and positions for a minute, man.

People need to remember that it's only APRIL with the whole off-season ahead of us and a draft that has yet taken place. Alot can change within the next 4 months including the draft and post-draft moves. 

I say that to hopefully remind you how all those mentioned players were acquired in the first place. I mean, were you or I expecting Cohen to be what he was last year on ST's? Or for Burton to be the player he was? I know I wasn't. 

I think some of you guys are overreacting a little when it comes to this...Meredith is a good player and I wanted to resign him but if there is doubt over the knee and if they think he is going to be 5th or maybe even 6th in targets then he isn't worth that type of money...Meredith will put up good numbers in that offence but that is because of the offence and Brees more than anything else...good luck to him but we will move on.

12 hours ago, dll2000 said:

That is fascinating to me.  Even the OC doesn't know the offense LOL.  (Probably does by now, at least most of it).

I can't believe they can't talk to MT early about scheme, dumb rule.  Also can't believe they haven't done so despite the rules.  No way these competitive mad freaks don't skirt that one across the NFL.

They skirt that one in little league.  Bears would be stupid not to have cheated a little there.

This changed on apr 3.  Everybody is back to work and Nagy and Tru can stay up all night going over the offense together if they want to

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I think some of you guys are overreacting a little when it comes to this...Meredith is a good player and I wanted to resign him but if there is doubt over the knee and if they think he is going to be 5th or maybe even 6th in targets then he isn't worth that type of money...Meredith will put up good numbers in that offence but that is because of the offence and Brees more than anything else...good luck to him but we will move on.

Agreed.

Do people here really think that Pace and Nagy dont care to do win as many games as possible in 2018?

If they thought that Cam was a critical piece to them winning more games then surely he would have been re-signed one way or another, right?

Some of you may have a lack of faith in management based on recent history with this regime but I'm going to place my trust in Pace and Nagy on this one.

Based on usages in KC and based off the previous injury situations with the Bears, Kevin White is currently being relied on to get 60 targets and start at least 6 games.

Let that sink in.

To cut off a few counter arguments.

-Those backup WR starts only count 2015-16, I threw out 2017 because it would have blown the number up.

-I did not even count games missed by White.

-The #3 WR usage is based on the past 3 seasons in KC.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Agreed.

Do people here really think that Pace and Nagy dont care to do win as many games as possible in 2018?

If they thought that Cam was a critical piece to them winning more games then surely he would have been re-signed one way or another, right?

Some of you may have a lack of faith in management based on recent history with this regime but I'm going to place my trust in Pace and Nagy on this one.

This drives me insane.

Just because people think this is a dumb move does not mean we do not think Pace wants to win games. We just do not blindly believe after a 14-34 record that he is doesn't deserve to be questioned when it comes to moves. He has not won nearly enough for us to assume that he is making the right decision when it comes to "wins".

I think Pace has wanted to win every game that he has been GM of the Bears, he has just failed to do so on 34 occasions.

Pace's inability to put together a good an deep WR room combined with his pathetic faith in Kevin White has been one of the achilles heels of this team for the past 3 seasons. 

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Pace's inability to put together a good an deep WR room combined with his pathetic faith in Kevin White has been one of the achilles heels of this team for the past 3 seasons. 

Pick one argument, dude. You can't say he's unable to put together a deep WR room and then say "OH BUT WHAT IF ALLEN ROBINSON GETS HURT AGAIN".

At this moment, right now, Trubisky has these targets to choose from:

Allen Robinson

Taylor Gabriel

Trey Burton

Tarik Cohen

Adam Shaheen

Kevin White

I mean Jesus effin' Christ, what are you flipping out about? That there aren't enough WRs? We have a move TE and RB that are going to devour targets.

This is getting annoying.

Just now, G08 said:

Ah my favorite caveat to these things, @WindyCity. "I threw out 2017" because it would take away from my point.

It would have added to my point.

31 missed games by starting WRs would have blown up the number. In fact if you count those games then Bears starting WRs have missed on average 30 games in a season. That is out of 36 possible games.

I took it out to support your side of the argument.

Just now, G08 said:

Pick one argument, dude. You can't say he's unable to put together a deep WR room and then say "OH BUT WHAT IF ALLEN ROBINSON GETS HURT AGAIN".

This is getting annoying.

They are the same argument. 

We have routinely had no depth at WR and it has crippled the offense. So with the number of games missed by WRs in the Pace regime it is fair to ask what happens if someone gets hurt.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

It would have added to my point.

31 missed games by starting WRs would have blown up the number. In fact if you count those games then Bears starting WRs have missed on average 30 games in a season. That is out of 36 possible games.

I took it out to support your side of the argument.

Windy. WR3 is not going to be featured in this offense. You... understand that, right?

Archived