Saints sign WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Your bulk is going to Allen Robinson (he's going to get Kelce's share of targets). Taylor Gabriel is going to move all over the field and be utilized in a Tyreek Hill fashion (that's another 100 targets) and Trey Burton is going to get at least 80 targets if you listen to Pace/Nagy talk about how important the 'U' tight end is in this offense. That's more than 1/2 of your team's passing targets right there and still doesn't account for Cohen/Shaheen/White/Sims.

If you mash up healthy Maclin and Hill targets my guess is that we will see

Robinson 125

Gabriel 75

That will leave about 60 receptions for the #3 and maybe #4 guy depending on packages and depth.

Just now, WindyCity said:

I am not paniced, but to act like the #3 WR can be some bum is inaccurate. The #3 WR is going to play a far amount, if you look at the usages Nagy went 3 WR a lot more than Reid. We need someone who can suitably fill that role

If you want to really break it down, Trey Burton is WR3

50 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This drives me insane.

Just because people think this is a dumb move does not mean we do not think Pace wants to win games. We just do not blindly believe after a 14-34 record that he is doesn't deserve to be questioned when it comes to moves. He has not won nearly enough for us to assume that he is making the right decision when it comes to "wins".

I think Pace has wanted to win every game that he has been GM of the Bears, he has just failed to do so on 34 occasions.

Pace's inability to put together a good an deep WR room combined with his pathetic faith in Kevin White has been one of the achilles heels of this team for the past 3 seasons. 

I am not saying you can't question any moves made by management nor am I saying that you should give anybody the benefit of the doubt. That's up to you.

Personally I just can't overreact to letting an undrafted WR sign with another team who has only 1 season of decent production and who is coming off two separate knee ligament tears.  There has to be a good reason why Pace and Nagy were not willing to match the offer. 

Like I said, if Nagy, who will be running this offense for the most part, didn't see Meredith as a critical piece for this team, then don't you think it's a little silly to argue against the move without having seen what he can do yet?

Some of you guys become way too emotionally attached to these players.  It'd be more understandable in a situation like we saw with Alshon last year, but c'mon dude let's move on.  Nothing we can do but wait and see.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He needs to be TE 1 or TE 2.

There are a **** ton of TE targets already in the offense.

It won't shock me one bit to see Robinson take those targets when Kelce was detached from the LOS (which was all the time).

12 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I am not saying you can't question any moves made by management nor am I saying that you should give anybody the benefit of the doubt. That's up to you.

Personally I just can't overreact to letting an undrafted WR sign with another team who has only 1 season of decent production and who is coming off two separate knee ligament tears.  There has to be a good reason why Pace and Nagy were not willing to match the offer. 

Like I said, if Nagy, who will be running this offense for the most part, didn't see Meredith as a critical piece for this team, then don't you think it's a little silly to argue against the move without having seen what he can do yet?

Some of you guys become way too emotionally attached to these players.  It'd be more understandable in a situation like we saw with Alshon last year, but c'mon dude let's move on.  Nothing we can do but wait and see.

I do not care about Cam Meredith.

I care that Ryan Pace continues to make questionable decisions at the WR position. 

Some of you guys give Ryan Pace way too much faith and credit, even more so when you look back at some of his moves and issues that the teams he put together have had.

When Josh Bellamy is starting games for the 4th consecutive year is it fair to criticize Pace? Because for me 3 straight years was enough. Do we have to wait for Kevin White to get hurt for a 4th straight year before we criticize his faith in Kevin White? I was good after 3.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I care that Ryan Pace continues to make questionable decisions at the WR position. 

Some of you guys give Ryan Pace way too much faith and credit, even more so when you look back at some of his moves and issues that the teams he put together have had.

When Josh Bellamy is starting games for the 4th consecutive year is it fair to criticize Pace? Because for me 3 straight years was enough. Do we have to wait for Kevin White to get hurt for a 4th straight year before we criticize his faith in Kevin White? I was good after 3.

Didn't we already establish that the majority of the time, the 12 personnel will call for only 2 receivers?

30 minutes ago, G08 said:

Your bulk is going to Allen Robinson (he's going to get Kelce's share of targets). Taylor Gabriel is going to move all over the field and be utilized in a Tyreek Hill fashion (that's another 100 targets) and Trey Burton is going to get at least 80 targets if you listen to Pace/Nagy talk about how important the 'U' tight end is in this offense. That's more than 1/2 of your team's passing targets right there and still doesn't account for Cohen/Shaheen/White/Sims.

God I hope not. Gabriel isn't anywhere near good enough to warrant that. We forced Knox to 100 targets before, I'd rather not force that again.  lol

In all reality I don't think we can throw too many numbers from previous games out there. This is going to be a new offense and I think we will see the lion's share go to Robinson, then see Trubisky just attack mismatches and quick option passes. I bet there will be a game where Shaheen gets 10 targets or more, and then 1-2 weeks later might only get 2. Whoever gets open will get the ball. I think Robinson will be the only person to top 100 targets, and then we may have several guys with 65-80 targets.

Hot and heavy debate with interesting, read-worthy, points left and right.

Then Barkley falls to us at 8, Pace grabs him, and Nagy goes Old School Ohio State and lines up Barkley and Howard and we run the ball 75 percent of the time.

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Clearly you do by the sounds of it because you think it was a questionable decision to let him go.  That means you value Meredith more so than others as you would not have the same feelings if they decided to sign Meredith and let a guy like Bellamy sign with another team instead.

So if you really don't care about Meredith then you shouldn't have an issue with them finding someone who is younger and/or cheaper to replace his position on the depth chart.

I almost hope the Bears do take a receiver early so all of you can shut up, only to be complaining by week 12 that he's not getting enough targets...BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ENOUGH TARGETS FOR THAT PLAYER, just like there wouldn't have been for a $5M #3 receiver. There is a 14 page thread about Cam Meredith. Bet no one would have believed that 2 years ago.

Robinson- 70 catches
Gabriel- 55 catches
Burton- 60 catches
Cohen- 60 catches
Howard- 20 catches
Shaheen- 40 catches
Bellamy- 15 catches

Tah dah!

15 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

God I hope not. Gabriel isn't anywhere near good enough to warrant that

They want to get him vertical as much as possible, and if the corner is up with no safety help I think Trubs is going to have the freedom to check him to a go route and let it fly. If the corner gets beat enough, you'll see him drop back 10+ yards in cushion and that same go route is going to convert to a comeback. I think this kid is going to be heavily involved IF he shows he can handle it.

This argument is silly...what team are you looking at that actually has WR depth?? The Saints are considered a contender and they literally just signed an injured guy from the Bears...Pats just traded away Cooks....WR depth is not a thing....the thing is, after #3 you have to contribute on special teams and Meredith wasn't going to do that for us....also we invested heavy in TE

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It has gotten 60 targets a season over the last 3 years in a very similar offense.

That is while the TEs have gotten 170 targets and RBs getting 100 targets.

You also understand that WR 3 becomes WR 2 pretty quickly.

60 targets is LESS THAN 4 PER GAME. 

Archived