Saints sign WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

People make fun of Gentry.  But who was better in camp last year with both players healthy Gentry or White?

Wasn't like he was good in one lucky practice.  He was good day after day.  I wasn't there, but Hoge and Jahns were, Tom Waddle was there for a week and tons of fans who were there were tweeting about it all saying he was best WR in camp.   In scrimagges, in 7 on 7, in live work.  Not just against air.

I can't believe that was all just a fluke.  That's a lot of flukes.  Performing in camp day after day for over a month is not a fluke.  Maybe given the attention and fair shakes of a drafted player he could actually succeed in the league.  He isn't small or slow.  

Look at MN Adam Thielen was undrafted.  Not even invited to the combine.   Vikings kept cutting him and putting him on practice squad too.  Nobody picked him up off waivers. 

After going undrafted in the 2013 NFL Draft, Thielen attended a rookie tryout and evaluation session at Winter Park with the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings signed Thielen to an undrafted free agent contract after the tryout. He was released by the Vikings on August 31 (along with 18 others) to get to a 53-man roster but was signed to the practice squad the next day.[7] He saw some preseason action as a wide receiver and on special teams.

Theilen had to do it in camp time and again before finally Vikings woke up 3 years later and realized they had a player on their team.  Coaches aren't infallible.  He was good and talented from the start.  He didn't suddenly become good.  Most rookie WR's aren't that good on field their first year.   Probably people making fun of Theilen on MN board then just like Gentry is made fun of.   

Now Theilen is one of best WRs in the NFL and their no. 1.  Just needed a fair shot.  

Now Gentry did finally got a shot in a couple of games and didn't seize it, but it wasn't much of a shot and it was pretty clear coaches didn't really like him. 

Shaheen didn't look good in some games and didn't make some plays he could have.  Wright dropped balls last years.  Everybody got put back out there time and again except Gentry.  Well Shaheen didn't get put back in much, but he should have been.

I think anybody that performs in camp should get a shot to succeed in a game. More than one.  That's the way football is supposed to work.  You earn it in practice.

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

People make fun of Gentry.  But who was better in camp last year with both players healthy Gentry or White?

Wasn't like he was good in one lucky practice.  He was good day after day.  I wasn't there, but Hoge and Jahns were, Tom Waddle was there for a week and tons of fans who were there were tweeting about it all saying he was best WR in camp.   In scrimagges, in 7 on 7, in live work.  Not just against air.

I can't believe that was all just a fluke.  That's a lot of flukes.  Performing in camp day after day for over a month is not a fluke.  Maybe given the attention and fair shakes of a drafted player he could actually succeed in the league.  He isn't small or slow.  

Look at MN Adam Thielen was undrafted.  Not even invited to the combine.   Vikings kept cutting him and putting him on practice squad too.  Nobody picked him up off waivers. 

Theilen had to do it in camp time and again before finally Vikings woke up 3 years later and realized they had a player on their team.  Coaches aren't infallible.  He was good and talented from the start.  He didn't suddenly become good.  Most rookie WR's aren't that good on field their first year.   Probably people making fun of Theilen on MN board then just like Gentry is made fun of.   

Now Theilen is one of best WRs in the NFL and their no. 1.  Just needed a fair shot.  

Now Gentry did finally got a shot in a couple of games and didn't seize it, but it wasn't much of a shot and it was pretty clear coaches didn't really like him. 

Shaheen didn't look good in some games and didn't make some plays he could have.  Wright dropped balls last years.  Everybody got put back out there time and again except Gentry.  Well Shaheen didn't get put back in much, but he should have been.

I think anybody that performs in camp should get a shot to succeed in a game. More than one.  That's the way football is supposed to work.  You earn it in practice.

Stop while you’re behind. Ever since Waddle, fans here can’t wait to find the next small, successful wideout. Hass, Barnes, Sanzenbacher. It’s very rare. Oh, and if the new plan is to compare all Bears white UDFA receivers to Adam Thielen, you’re going to be wrong 100% of the time.

6 hours ago, G08 said:

They want to get him vertical as much as possible, and if the corner is up with no safety help I think Trubs is going to have the freedom to check him to a go route and let it fly. If the corner gets beat enough, you'll see him drop back 10+ yards in cushion and that same go route is going to convert to a comeback. I think this kid is going to be heavily involved IF he shows he can handle it.

Idk. I'm sure he will get 2-3 targets on go routes per game. But I can't see him getting THAT many. If he was that big of a threat I think he would have demanded attention off of Jones. He is a role player IMO, which has value but isn't something to be worth that many reps. He has under a 60% catch rate I think, while never being the one defenses have to focus on. 

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Stop while you’re behind. Ever since Waddle, fans here can’t wait to find the next small, successful wideout. Hass, Barnes, Sanzenbacher. It’s very rare. Oh, and if the new plan is to compare all Bears white UDFA receivers to Adam Thielen, you’re going to be wrong 100% of the time.

You prove my point with your wise cracking stereotype assumptions.   

Gentry is 6'1 205 lbs and runs a 4.4.

He is bigger and faster than most of WRs in the league same as Theilen. 

He isn't Waddle or those other guys.  Not small and slow like Braverman.  I never said boo about Braverman.  Gentry is not a try hard punching above his weight class.  He's a heavyweight.  Maybe a journeyman, but still a heavyweight.  You just grouped them all together when its apples and oranges.  

He isn't getting a shot for same exact reasons Theilen didn't get a fair shot or Chris Hogan didn't get a fair shot.  Stereotypes. 

I don't care if he succeeds or fails.  I just think he should get a fair chance based on practice performance and his actual athletic ability and not stereotypes or draft position.

Will he succeed?  Probably not.  It's easy to predict failure and be right most of time, because its hard to succeed.

58 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You prove my point with your wise cracking stereotype assumptions.   

Gentry is 6'1 205 lbs and runs a 4.4.

He is bigger and faster than most of WRs in the league same as Theilen. 

He isn't Waddle or those other guys.  Not small and slow like Braverman.  I never said boo about Braverman.  Gentry is not a try hard punching above his weight class.  He's a heavyweight.  Maybe a journeyman, but still a heavyweight.  You just grouped them all together when its apples and oranges.  

He isn't getting a shot for same exact reasons Theilen didn't get a fair shot or Chris Hogan didn't get a fair shot.  Stereotypes. 

I don't care if he succeeds or fails.  I just think he should get a fair chance based on practice performance and his actual athletic ability and not stereotypes or draft position.

Will he succeed?  Probably not.  It's easy to predict failure and be right most of time, because its hard to succeed.

I never mentioned boo about Braverman either.

Also, Gentry isn’t a journeyman, but he did play in 4 games last year and caught 3 passes. He got a chance. Stop.

Gentry being better in camp than White is more of an indictment of White.

Gentry was brutal when he played in the regular season. Guy couldn’t get open at all.

There also is not a planet in this solar system where Gentry runs a 4.4

5 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

As far as this 55 target/32 rec thing it will literally just be everyone else. Daniel Brown, Sims, late rd WR, Gentry, Bellamy, you name it!

Not understanding this argument. Literally no team is loaded at WR really.

YES.

The roster gets 50-60 targets. It’s really not as huge a deal as it’s being made. That’s 5-6 guys each getting about one extra target every other week. Talk about mountains and mole hills. 

Even with a mid-late round rookie is it really inconceivable that our handpicked innovative OC turned HC can’t scheme even the rawest of raw rookies into a few looks on a quick slant, bubble, go route or out of a bunch formation? Jesus, Nagy isn’t Loggains. These things are THE EXACT REASON WE HIRED THIS GUY AS HC. 

Sure, if we lose our top two WR or 2 of our top 3 for an extended period of time it’s gonna be an issue. Name 5 other teams that won’t have the same problem. 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

YES.

The roster gets 50-60 targets. It’s really not as huge a deal as it’s being made. That’s 5-6 guys each getting about one extra target every other week. Talk about mountains and mole hills. 

Even with a mid-late round rookie is it really inconceivable that our handpicked innovative OC turned HC can’t scheme even the rawest of raw rookies into a few looks on a quick slant, bubble, go route or out of a bunch formation? Jesus, Nagy isn’t Loggains. These things are THE EXACT REASON WE HIRED THIS GUY AS HC. 

Sure, if we lose our top two WR or 2 of our top 3 for an extended period of time it’s gonna be an issue. Name 5 other teams that won’t have the same problem. 

Exactly. If GB lost Adams and Graham, they’re going to have a tough time. Let’s say ATL loses Jones and Sanu... uh oh. Detroit losing Tate and Jones would be tough. What would Cousins be without Diggs and Thielen? 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Exactly. If GB lost Adams and Graham, they’re going to have a tough time. Let’s say ATL loses Jones and Sanu... uh oh. Detroit losing Tate and Jones would be tough. What would Cousins be without Diggs and Thielen? 

A quarterback...duh... :)

In all seriousness though, Robinson is getting brought up strictly because he hasn't been seen run a route since he went down. It is always going to be the normal reaction, and all the above mentioned players were pretty healthy last year. With how much Pace and Nagy threw to Robinson, I imagine they (and the Bears' medical staff) were happy with his knee.

8 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Dudes, we are going to rely on White again as the #3

By #3, I'm assuming that you mean the slot, correct? Because is so, I bet Gabriel disagrees (and the same position that Mererdith was best fit). 

In Shanahan's offense in 2016, Taylor was one of the most effective slot receivers in the league and had the most yards per route from the slot than any player in the league. So I think it's fair to say that Pace/Nagy brought him to be a dynamic player in the slot and not as a #2. His ability as a slot receiver and his versatility is what was intriguing.

Player Snaps in Slot % of snaps in slot Yards in slot Yards per route
Taylor Gabriel 117 51% 481 4.1
Julio Jones 236 54% 925 3.9
Rishard Matthews 221 53% 594 2.7
Jarvis Landry 430 88% 1076 2.5
Ty Hilton 487 82% 1207 2.5

Right now, we don't have a "true" #2 until the draft(or trade). I don't see Pace (or any GM for that matter) relying that heavily on White at this point. Maybe, as a guy to work with the second team come August but nothing more. In fact, I would go as far as to say that if he was NOT still playing on his rookie contract, he would have been gone this off-season. 

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

By #3, I'm assuming that you mean the slot, correct? Because is so, I bet Gabriel disagrees (and the same position that Mererdith was best fit). 

In Shanahan's offense in 2016, Taylor was one of the most effective slot receivers in the league and had the most yards per route from the slot than any player in the league. So I think it's fair to say that Pace/Nagy brought him to be a dynamic player in the slot and not as a #2. His ability as a slot receiver and his versatility is what was intriguing.

Player Snaps in Slot % of snaps in slot Yards in slot Yards per route
Taylor Gabriel 117 51% 481 4.1
Julio Jones 236 54% 925 3.9
Rishard Matthews 221 53% 594 2.7
Jarvis Landry 430 88% 1076 2.5
Ty Hilton 487 82% 1207 2.5

Right now, we don't have a "true" #2 until the draft(or trade). I don't see Pace (or any GM for that matter) relying that heavily on White at this point. Maybe, as a guy to work with the second team come August but nothing more. In fact, I would go as far as to say that if he was NOT still playing on his rookie contract, he would have been gone this off-season. 

Gabriel is NOT a slot receiver. Tweet him and ask. He'll tell you *all* about it.

People will be moving around all over the place. Nagy said the plan with Kevin White is to keep him in one spot and let him master that position -- I'm of the opinion that will be the 'Z' or flanker position. He'll be off the LOS so he won't have to worry as much about jams, and you can easily motion him as you see fit.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

People will be moving around all over the place. Nagy said the plan with Kevin White is to keep him in one spot and let him master that position -- I'm of the opinion that will be the 'Z' or flanker position. He'll be off the LOS so he won't have to worry as much about jams, and you can easily motion him as you see fit.

I’m expecting a lot of motion and bunch formations to get guys free releases. 

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m expecting a lot of motion and bunch formations to get guys free releases. 

Especially to help Mitch get an idea if it is man or zone coverage. LAR did it a lot to help Goff, PHI did it for Wentz, etc.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Gabriel is NOT a slot receiver. Tweet him and ask. He'll tell you *all* about it.

Really? Like how Willie Young would argue he wasn't an OLB when we switched to a 3-4? lol

Archived