Saints sign WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Burton-100 which is a huge number

Shaheen-70

Cohen-70

Howard-30

You still have a #3 WR getting 55 targets.

Howard is getting more than 30. What he does with them is very much TBD, but he’s going to get the opportunities. 

Meredith was a likable guy, we all get that. Everyone loved the fact that he was a local kid who beat long odds to make an NFL roster and that he flashed a little bit during his brief amount of playing time with this team, but this is a business and these decisions are usually made with the team's best interests in mind for both the short and long term.  Kudos to Meredith and I wish him the best the rest of his playing career.  Time to move on folks.

23 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Howard is getting more than 30. What he does with them is very much TBD, but he’s going to get the opportunities. 

The Bears were 8th in RB targets last season, ahead of the Chiefs by 20 targets, and Howard was targeted 32 times.

I do not think he is going to see a huge uptick in that number.

26 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

60 targets is LESS THAN 4 PER GAME. 

Yes, you need someone to be targeted about 4 times a game.

4 times a game is not insignificant. My guess is that Shaheen ends up around the 5 targets a game and we are not trying to reduce his value.

At this moment we do not have a player to fill that role.

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Actually, I believe it's universally known that changing font to green on message boards symbolizes sarcasm

(FWIW, I knew you were being sarcastic. I was hoping it, anyway)

i have literally never seen green font on this board in over 7 years to represent sarcasm, and we have some pretty sarcastic SOBs on this board (looking at you IronMike)

1 minute ago, HuskieBear said:

i have literally never seen green font on this board in over 7 years to represent sarcasm, and we have some pretty sarcastic SOBs on this board (looking at you IronMike)

I belong to a White Sox message board and they use green all the time.

I just blazed a trail! :D

I think we will see something like the following, this is just based on the Chiefs last season as a rough guideline

Total Targets: 540 [There was a slight uptick in pass attempts when Nagy took over as playcaller]

TE: 171

Burton-91

Shaheen-80

*Something close to an even split with a few more going to Burton.

RB: 114

Cohen-80

Howard-34

*Howard was not targeted more than this in an offense that threw the ball to the RB more than the Chiefs. I think he might be a 1-2 target a week guy.

WR: 255

Robinson-125   [Would put him in the top 12 and would be the most targets by a WR from the Reid coaching tree]

Gabriel- 75     [Average of the last couple of seasons of the 2nd most targeted WR]

55 targets for someone.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think we will see something like the following, this is just based on the Chiefs last season as a rough guideline

Total Targets: 540 [There was a slight uptick in pass attempts when Nagy took over as playcaller]

TE: 171

Burton-91

Shaheen-80

*Something close to an even split with a few more going to Burton.

RB: 114

Cohen-80

Howard-34

*Howard was not targeted more than this in an offense that threw the ball to the RB more than the Chiefs. I think he might be a 1-2 target a week guy.

WR: 255

Robinson-125   [Would put him in the top 12 and would be the most targets by a WR from the Reid coaching tree]

Gabriel- 75     [Average of the last couple of seasons of the 2nd most targeted WR]

55 targets for someone.

Targets that Cohen gets out of the slot or when split out wide I do not consider to be “RB targets”. On that play he’s a WR. Also re: Howard’s targets, he had 50 the year before (pre-Cohen) and only played a significant role in 13 games. Loggains was also dreadful at using the screen game. Nagy isn’t. 

24 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Targets that Cohen gets out of the slot or when split out wide I do not consider to be “RB targets”. On that play he’s a WR. Also re: Howard’s targets, he had 50 the year before (pre-Cohen) and only played a significant role in 13 games. Loggains was also dreadful at using the screen game. Nagy isn’t. 

If you give Howard 50 and give Cohen some in the slot you are still going to need a #3 WR that can handle some volume.

That is assuming that everyone stays healthy.

If Gabriel gets hurt then you need to find someone to handle 6 targets a game in addition.

Archived