Saints sign WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Im not a fan of this decision but i understand it.  We said over and over nobody has as much info about Cams knee as the Bears, and apparently they felt uncomfortable signing him for that amount with his knee.  May be why they didnt go for the 2nd round tender as the knee isnt doing great.  Its hard to say.  

The Saints were fine offering him a contract, and they knew all about his knee. The 2nd round tender would have been another million, on a one year deal. No clue what Pace was thinking. Why tag Meredith at all?

43 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Y'all keep forgetting that Gentry is still on the roster. Clearly a big reason for today's decision

You may be joking, I'm not sure. But it could well be they expect good things from Gentry. He has shown potential, after all. 

25 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Ok, everyone calm the **** down.  As much as I like Cam meredith, and wish he was re-signed, he is coming off a major knee injury.  Allen Robinson is undoubtedly a better player.  Taylor Gabriel is a better fit for the offense.  He would at best be #3 WR in this offense, but Trey Burton is also going to be stretching out wide a lot in this offense, according to reports.  So clearly there is a plan.  We are still way ahead of where we were last year at the WR position, I don't think anyone can deny that.  Yes this does put more pressure on Kevin White to stay healthy, but this draft also has a lot of talent in round 2-3 at WR where you could pick up a contributor pretty easily.  

Sucks that he's gone, but we haven't seen the medical reports and we also don't know how well he would have fit with Nagy anyways.  With bears fans, everything seems to be the apocalypse, he had 1 season where he did well across from Alshon Jeffery.  

Allen Robinson is also coming off injury. White is an injury waiting to happen. The Saints have done their own medical reports.

It simply wasn't a good move. It does indicate that Pace knows that there will be a lot of significant cuts before the season starts, and that he's optimistic about some mid-round guys--which I can totally see...

44 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This is offseason 4.

Just because you are not going to be super competitive doesn’t mean you should be okay entering into an season with obvious holes.

Being realistic and understanding about a situation is not the same as being okay with it.

37 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Or creating holes where you actually had a very good starter (Sitton-OG)

Well we obviously see things different, because I saw no reason to potentially hinder younger development in order to keep an aging guard who was clearly not the same player he was two years. 

Pace's plan this off-season appears to be to get younger (which is how you build a team that can compete for longer than a year or two) so holding onto a 33 year old player would be doing more harm than good in the long run.

42 minutes ago, Epyon said:

or a proven/reliable WR who was going to be super cheap

He has had one solid year but I suppose this just comes down to our differences in expectations for him because I did not see Meredith having the same success that alot of other people were projecting to have. I have been saying all season after his injury that I see him as another Wilson and imo his production can found relatively easy in what is expected to be a pretty deep WR class without the injury concern. 

44 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Also, imo, the ONLY excuse for us to not be in contention this year, in my mind is that it's a new offensive system. If Nagy had installed the offense last year, I'd expect us to compete for a playoff spot THIS year.  Defense was top 10 last year.... and had we kept both Sitton and Meredith we'd be going into the draft post-FA with pretty solid people at every position but OLB, and where in a great spot to fix that, and get ahead of potential upcoming/tier 2 needs at ILB/CB/S

Now we need a OG, OLB, and WR..... in addition to all of those tier 2 needs.

You're alot more optimistic than I am, I'll give you that, because I still seen WR as need (with or without Meredith) on-top of holes at OT, OG, interior line, ILB, edge, S and CB. And that's not even including the potential &/or unexpected dropped off that we see from players year in year out. I'm sorry, but it's just not realistic to expect all of these issues to be fixed in one off-season. 

I'll say this for Pace and crew and I strongly believe it's a good thing. They ain't afraid to make strong moves. Cajones count.

Add in the trade up for Trubisky. If you have confidence in your judgement you can only really take advantage of it by acting strongly. No hedging. No half measures.

Now if they are idiots you go off the cliff quicker, but we plug into that chasm when we come to it if their evaluations, judgement, and luck, yes luck. do not play up to their expections.

I'm really not a fan of this. Cam isn't a world beater but was a young guy and has talent. Why lose him and keep a bum like Sims? 

Yes he is coming off a knee injury, maybe it was worse than we thought. Idk, but having 2 years allows us tome to see if he meshes with Tru better than Burton or Gabriel. Out of those three after the 2 year deal you keep the best two and cut the weak link.

Now if Robinson goes down we are looking at Burton, Gabriel, and White/Cohen as the WR corps. Not exactly going to scare defenders, Meredith would have at least been a mismatch piece (like Burton is) to let Trubisky have as many options as possible. 

I don't find this as frustrating as losing Jeffery last year, but damn. I hate losing talent without compensation. If you know he isn't a long term option then use the 2nd round tender, when no one bites you get him as a cheap insurance policy. 

I'll be rooting for him in NO. 

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Or Jeremy Maclin. He has experience with Nagy and this offense.  This is provided hes healthy.

Maclin or Inman and a mid-rounder is what I expect. Or a play for Willie Snead (probably expendable in NO now). 

1 hour ago, Pool said:

I'm surprised that we didn't keep at least one of Inman, Wright, or Meredith. Really surprised.

I'm quite surprised by this as well. I'm assuming this comes down to offensive fit and Nagy's input on the guys he wants. 

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I'm quite surprised by this as well. I'm assuming this comes down to offensive fit and Nagy's input on the guys he wants. 

100%. Everyone is putting this on Pace but there is zero chance that this decision was made without significant input from the HC. 

31 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Maclin or Inman and a mid-rounder is what I expect. Or a play for Willie Snead (probably expendable in NO now). 

Deon Cain, Keke Coutee, DaeSean Hamilton are options

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

100%. Everyone is putting this on Pace but there is zero chance that this decision was made without significant input from the HC. 

Yup. If Nagy was pounding the table for Meredith to return, it would have happened. Either he's not a fit, they deemed him expendable, or they weren't comfortable with his knee and the $$$.

Sadly, the only way Pace looks smart in this decision is if Merideth's knee has issues in 2018.  

Better for all, would be if the Bears field a healthy and productive WR corps in 2018.

There are lots of ways to consider this decision, but as of right now I am extremely concerned about the holes that the Bears have on offense.

4 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Sadly, the only way Pace looks smart in this decision is if Merideth's knee has issues in 2018.  

Better for all, would be if the Bears field a healthy and productive WR corps in 2018.

There are lots of ways to consider this decision, but as of right now I am extremely concerned about the holes that the Bears have on offense.

What if his knee is fine but he has 45 catches, 550 yards and 3 TD’s? Does Pace look fine then?

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Or Jeremy Maclin. He has experience with Nagy and this offense.  This is provided hes healthy.

There's definitely a particular strategy in place (even though there doesn't appear to be at first glance). Maclin, Dez, something...

Archived